Bob Stoops Retired

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I hear it's hell getting that orange off.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I guess we'll have to wait to find out. I hope his health is ok but looking at some other reasons would make sense also.....OU has a history of sending coaches out because hot water is about to boil over....Switzer walked because boosters couldn't keep the lid on that program....Schnellenberger was dirty and drunk so he had to go......If Alabama has an equal when it comes to cheating then OU has always been it.
I only hope he's decided to go for all the other reasons besides these and of course his health. Make no mistake about it OU has sky high expectations and these along with a crumbling conference affiliation may have led him to believe he wouldn't meet those lofty goals in the near future....ala SOS....Steve was his mentor I believe for the most part.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Since Stoops was our D-Coordinator of our '96 championship team and beat Fsu for his only national championship, Gator nation has always been pretty fond of him. Not to mention we beat him in '08 for the title, Stoops has been pretty good to Gator Nation. Really hope this is not health related or some kind of scandal that will come out to taint his reputation. If it's true and he just wants to retire, then I could see him taking a year and coming back to coaching, even giving the NFL a look.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Steve Spurrier says time was right for Bob Stoops to retire

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/florida-football/steve-spurrier-says-time-right-bob-stoops-retire/

Steve Spurrier has reacted to the news that his long-time friend and former colleague, Bob Stoops, has decided to retire.

“It was a surprise, but not a complete shock,” Spurrier said in a statement. “Bobby always indicated he wasn’t going to coach forever. There is life after coaching and once he decided the time was right, he was going to move on. He wanted to go out at the right time and he feels good about where the program is right now. He has left a good team for Lincoln Riley and the Oklahoma program.”

Spurrier hired Stoops as Florida’s defensive coordinator in 1996, the season of UF’s first ever national championship. Stoops only remained in Gainesville two more seasons, but formed a close bond with Spurrier during the time. The two have neighboring beach houses in Crescent Beach, Fla.

Spurrier’s son, Steve Spurrier Jr., would later follow Stoops to Oklahoma, serving as wide receivers coach on the Sooners’ 2000 national championship staff. Spurrier Jr. returned to OU in 2016 in an off-field role. The older Spurrier even skipped a Florida home game last season to go visit Stoops and son for Oklahoma’s game against Ohio State in Norman.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Timing is totally off. Something is up.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that this has more to do with Joe Mixon and Dorial Green-Beckham than it does about "living his life" or whatever. When you start making poor moral choices because you'd rather have a sociopath on your team than lose the opportunity to exploit his skills, you've got to pause and take a good long look at yourself in the mirror. I don't think Stoopsy liked what he saw when he did that. The world would be a better place if the Tom Osbornes, Joe Paternos, Bobby Bowdens and Jimbo Fishers in the game would've done the same.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The world would be a better place if the Tom Osbornes, Joe Paternos, Bobby Bowdens and Jimbo Fishers in the game would've done the same.
You forgot someone.

ba8novvccaaoov0.jpg

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Some good quotes from around CFB:

- The Oklahoman’s Berry Tramel on Bob Stoops’ legacy: “He’s on Rushmore with Wilkinson and Switzer. Bob’s chief crime was he won his national title in year No. 2, instead of year No. 12 or 13. But that’s a first-world problem. He’s a monumentally successful coach.”

- ESPN’s Paul Finebaum: “The table is set. There’s nothing left to do. You still have to coach and game plan, but Lincoln Riley can do that. I don’t think there will be a big dropoff. The only question is will Lincoln Riley be a good head coach, and the chemistry on the team and coaching staff with instead of an 56-year-old guy who’d been at the school for 18 years, with a 33-year-old guy who’s never been a head coach.”

- Fox Sports’ Bruce Feldman: “This has been in the works for a little bit. Internally, some people knew about it. He and the AD had been grooming Lincoln Riley before this, for over a year. I think it came down to when exactly this would happen. Bob Stoops decided relatively recently he felt the timing was right, just wanted to go live life. … When I asked someone who knows him, he said he’s not coming back, he’s done, this is it. You only live once, and I think he’s satisfied with his coaching career.

- ESPN’s Heather Dinich: “This is a huge loss for the Big 12. This is their guy. This is their famous face. He is the Big 12 right now. It goes beyond Oklahoma. It affects the entire conference. If you look at the rest of the schools, he is the Big 12."

- SEC Network’s Cole Cubelic: “If you’re going to have a win in situation with this timing, Oklahoma got one by being able to turn to Lincoln Riley. Very surprising where it falls in the year. These young men are going to have very limited time around their coaches for the next two, three months. But coaches do get a little more time now. That becomes even more valuable for Oklahoma, from a leadership standpoint, a communication standpoint.”

- Fox Sports’ Joel Klatt: “He sees what happens to other coaches and programs. One thing Bob wanted to avoid more than anything was a messy transition of power. He sees what happens at Texas when Mack Brown leaves. He sees what happene at Tennessee when Phillip Fulmer leaves. He sees what happens when they were in the wilderness after Gene Stallings. All those things influenced what Stoops wanted to do.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator