Books about sports

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I am not a baseball fan. I kept up with it as a kid because coverage in our two newspapers allowed me. I just read a new book (2020) about Yogi Berra. I had no clue what kind of player or man he was. I highly recommend this book to people that love baseball and its glory days with Mantle and Bob Gibson and even DiMaggio. I learned that the myth was not the man with Berra.
12PESSAH1-superJumbo.png

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
I know this is a "Gator" friendly board but... Former Bama head coach Gene Stallings wrote a book about his son, Johnny, who had Downs Syndrome. The book is very interesting and details how Gene and his wife raised Johnny back before there was very much known about Downs Syndrome. Even though y'all are Gators I'm still pretty sure you won't be disappointed in reading "Another Season-A Coach's Story of Raising an Exceptional Son."

Amazon product

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I know this is a "Gator" friendly board but... Former Bama head coach Gene Stallings wrote a book about his son, Johnny, who had Downs Syndrome. The book is very interesting and details how Gene and his wife raised Johnny back before there was very much known about Downs Syndrome. Even though y'all are Gators I'm still pretty sure you won't be disappointed in reading "Another Season-A Coach's Story of Raising an Exceptional Son."

Amazon product

:scoff3:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
When Pride Still Mattered

upload_2021-10-8_15-21-3.jpeg

Lombardi was and still is the gold standard of coaching to an old-timer like me. I enjoyed reading about his early life and some of the many struggles he had before finally getting his shot as the HC of an NFL team. He was thoroughly convinced that his way was the right way to not only win, but to also dominate and he had the ability and instincts to find and develop the players who made his system go. The book also talked about the toll his relentless pursuit of perfection took on his family. I’ve re-read this a couple of times.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I read that one a few years ago. Excellent story about his evolution in coaching. He was as a driven as any coach ever. Best story was in the Jerry Kramer book talking to them in training camp. Out after curfew and its 200 dollars. 2nd time its 500 dollars, Third time 1000 and if its worth that come get me and take me with you. This was for Hornung and Thurston and some other whore dogs.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
One story that let you know about how serious Lombardi was and how strongly he felt about loyalty was when Fuzzy Thurston’s agent had him ask for more money before his contract was up. Lombardi traded him immediately. My old HS school coach patterned himself after Lombardi. We were small and there weren’t many of us, but he toughened us up and made us believe that 11 working together and fearful of letting their teammates down could exceed expectations.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
One story that let you know about how serious Lombardi was and how strongly he felt about loyalty was when Fuzzy Thurston’s agent had him ask for more money before his contract was up. Lombardi traded him immediately. My old HS school coach patterned himself after Lombardi. We were small and there weren’t many of us, but he toughened us up and made us believe that 11 working together and fearful of letting their teammates down could exceed expectations.
WWII or Korea vet?

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
One story that let you know about how serious Lombardi was and how strongly he felt about loyalty was when Fuzzy Thurston’s agent had him ask for more money before his contract was up. Lombardi traded him immediately.
That was supposedly Jim Ringo, their All-pro center, not Thurston. (Fuzzy retired a Packer.) I read an interview of Ringo way after he retired and he said that rumor was not true. He was from NJ and a family member, his dad, I think, was ill and he wanted to be closer to home to be with him. He was grateful Vince took care of him.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
. My old HS school coach patterned himself after Lombardi. We were small and there weren’t many of us, but he toughened us up and made us believe that 11 working together and fearful of letting their teammates down could exceed expectations.
At times we thought our HS coach was Lombardi. Like your school we were small and maybe had 25 dressed out players the start of the season. He ran many off with his crazy long practices. We hit all season long in practice except Thurs and still hit in shorts and shoulder pads. He played for Woodruff and Dickey at UF as a fullback.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That was supposedly Jim Ringo, their All-pro center, not Thurston. (Fuzzy retired a Packer.) I read an interview of Ringo way after he retired and he said that rumor was not true. He was from NJ and a family member, his dad, I think, was ill and he wanted to be closer to home to be with him. He was grateful Vince took care of him.
My bad. Thanks for the correction.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
My bad. Thanks for 5he correction.
I spent almost every summer of my childhood in NE Wisconsin. I learned a lot about the Packers through osmosis if nothing else. Jerry Kramer’s book, Instant Replay, is a great read and offers a lot of insight into Lombardi.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The Packers were getting toward the end of their run when I was first getting into football. I loved Bart Starr and Donnie Anderson and even wore #44 when I played midget football (that’s what youth football was called, not real midgets). Pro football was great back in those days. We got our first color TV the Saturday before the Chiefs/Rams Super Bowl. It was great right up until my dead beat step-dad couldn’t make the monthly payments and we had to take it back to the shop. It was sad when Lombardi left Green Bay for DC. Just didn’t seem right seeing him in maroon and gold and not winning like he did with the Pack. Sadder still when he was diagnosed with cancer and passed away.

Last edited:

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
The Packers were getting toward the end of their run when I was first getting into football. I loved Bart Starr and Donnie Anderson and even wore #44 when I played midget football (that’s what youth football was called, not real midgets). Pro football was great back in those days. We got our first color TV the Saturday before the Chiefs/Rams Super Bowl. It was great right up until my dead beat step-dad couldn’t make the monthly payments and we had to take it back to the shop. It was sad when Lombardi left Green Bay for DC. Just didn’t seem right seeing him in maroon and goal and not winning like he did with the Pack. Sadder still when he was diagnosed with cancer and passed away.
I was pretty young for that era, but do remember how thrilled my dad was when Lombardi came to DC. His first season they went 7-5-2, completely turning them from losers to a good team. Sadly he never got a second season. Bill Austin was the interim coach that year and then they hired George Allen. Every Redskins fan from that era is firmly convinced that they were on their way to Packers like success had Coach Lombardi not gotten cancer. I know one thing, in Sonny Jurgensen, Lombardi believed he had his QB.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I recall reading Ricky Bleier’s biography as a kid.
That was an inspirational book to say the least.

54BDF715-7E7E-4ED2-BCAF-2A60D6AF7C23.jpeg

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
MoneyBall
Friday Night Lights
Game of Shadows
Boys will be Boys
Tales from the Swamp

that's from the top of my head, all my sport book but my Steve Spurrier book is in storage right now

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator