Bourbon and Booze

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by alcoholica, Nov 23, 2017.

1. alcoholica

alcoholica Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $307
    Ratings:
    +6,251 / -205
    It’s probably because I like the higher proof stuff. Blanton’s is really good tho. Really interesting that so many people prefer Rock Hill Farms over Blanton’s though.

Fun fact, I heard recently that the warehouse that Blanton’s is aged in, is steam heated in the winter so it matures sooner.

2. gooneygoogoo

gooneygoogoo Member

Oxbucks:
    $57
    Ratings:
    +71 / -1
    All good suggestions. Basil Hayden is a great recommendation for a gateway bourbon. Lots of people like it but I totally agree it’s not worth it to me. It is so light and easy drinking that it appeals to many but I want punch you in the face bold flavor. I think fear of flavors steers a lot of people away from bourbon and into the crown royal area because “you can’t even taste the alcohol, it’s so smooth”. Basil Hayden is in that zone for me.

Funny I didn’t list any Beam iterations in my list (oops, I’m just not a big fan...maybe Knob Creek 120 if I had to pick)

3. alcoholica

Oxbucks:
    $307
    Ratings:
    +6,251 / -205
    Turkey and Trace are my favorite distillers, but you can find some great finds in the Heaven Hill lineup. For me Turkey and Buffalo just depends on if I want more rye that day or not.

Right now my favorite value pick is Evan Williams single barrel or even the 1783, which is like $13

4. gooneygoogoo

gooneygoogoo Member

Oxbucks:
    $57
    Ratings:
    +71 / -1
    Can’t say I’m a big fan of the stuff from across the pond but I certainly can appreciate it. I just love the combo of sweetness and big barrel flavors so bourbon is right in my wheel house. More scotch for you though haha!

5. alcoholica

Oxbucks:
    $307
    Ratings:
    +6,251 / -205
    I like some beam stuff, the KC 120 is nice, their old 8 y/o black label was nice for $20, before it went NAS. I liked Bakers when I had it, but it’s not worth $50

6. alcoholica

Oxbucks:
    $307
    Ratings:
    +6,251 / -205
    Oh try 1792 Full Proof, I got a store pick and it is a slap in the face

7. bayou gator

bayou gator Ancient GSMB Veteran
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $180
    Ratings:
    +663 / -4
    I don't think so... At least not what I can remember. I took an insider's tour of Buffalo Trace last year. I was in the actual rackhouse (H), and the only difference in Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, and Blanton's is the time spent in the barrel (BT 8 yrs, ER 10 yrs, Blanton's 8-10), and the location of the barrels. If I remember correctly, Blanton's was specifically on the 3rd floor. I don't remember anything about steam being used, and I can't remember if I saw steam lines or not. I'll try to look at some pictures and see if I can find anything. My buddy and I snuck away and got some great pics inside the warehouse that day.

#47 bayou gator, Nov 24, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  8. gooneygoogoo

gooneygoogoo Member

Oxbucks:
    $57
    Ratings:
    +71 / -1
    I do really like it. I was actually lucky enough to help pick a barrel of it for a bourbon group I’m in. Our fearless leader somehow talked them into not filtering it unlike their commercial Full Proof. You are right it is a big whiskey. It takes a drop or two haha

9. Bullag8r

Bullag8r Senior Member

Oxbucks:
    $40
    Ratings:
    +195 / -5
    I have been enjoying the 1792 Small Batch for a few months now. I haven't found anything that compares at $30.00 a bottle.

10. alcoholica

Oxbucks:
    $307
    Ratings:
    +6,251 / -205
    Some YouTube personality was saying it and he was way more into it than I am. I don’t think he meant they actually used steam, I think he may have been referring to their onsite power production, but you could be right too.

I did the historical tour and it was cool. Got to see the E.H. Taylor house and the excavation site. Real cool place.

11. alcoholica

Oxbucks:
    $307
    Ratings:
    +6,251 / -205
    They chill filter the full proof? That sucks. I forget what the cutoff is at Turkey, but there is no reason to chill filter something that high of proof

12. alcoholica

Oxbucks:
    $307
    Ratings:
    +6,251 / -205
    I tried a barrel pick of that and wasn’t impressed, but a lot of people love it. I need to try it again, maybe I was having a poor tasting day

13. bayou gator

bayou gator Ancient GSMB Veteran
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $180
    Ratings:
    +663 / -4
    Maybe so, I'm just going off of memory, so I could be wrong. I love that place. It's my favorite distillery, by far. And I like all the experimental stuff they do there. It's cool they are now even growing corn on the grounds so that they can make special recipes with ingredients sourced on site. They've definitely got it all figured out.

14. gooneygoogoo

gooneygoogoo Member

Oxbucks:
    $57
    Ratings:
    +71 / -1
    Yeah that was our argument...”why????” I can’t remember the reason but thankfully they relented for us

15. Alumni Guy

Alumni Guy Newbie

Oxbucks:
    $208
    Ratings:
    +720 / -15
    On CBS Sunday Morning (awesome show when nursing a bourbon infused hangover) they had a report on how Japan has some excellent whiskey distillaries. I'd like to try one.

16. alcoholica

Oxbucks:
    $307
    Ratings:
    +6,251 / -205
    It’s awesome that all the tours are free and the gift shop is reasonable

17. alcoholica

Oxbucks:
    $307
    Ratings:
    +6,251 / -205
    Haven’t tried any, but I hear they are good. Supposed to be more like scotch.

18. alcoholica

Oxbucks:
    $307
    Ratings:
    +6,251 / -205
    Got me a bottle of Midwinter's Night Dram today

19. gooneygoogoo

gooneygoogoo Member

Oxbucks:
    $57
    Ratings:
    +71 / -1
    Went to my usual spot yesterday just to buy some beer and poke around. Owner came out of the back and said “you interested in this?” Handed me a four roses 2017 small batch limited edition. I said uhhh hell yeah. Might even have to open it sat if the puppies get whipped

20. alcoholica

Oxbucks:
    $307
    Ratings:
    +6,251 / -205
    Wish I could get a bottle of some Four Roses LE. Not a fan of their 3 regular offerings