GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
From USA TODAY:
Bowl game attendance on decline but TV interest grows
Strong TV ratings and plentiful programming opportunities are leading to more college football bowl games each year.

http://usat.ly/1AOmyX9

This is a really interesting article about bowl attendance declining and where the money is really being generated... It makes me wonder, if most of their revenue now comes from tv, it would seem like the ticket prices would be dirt cheap to assure sell outs.... Also, it mentions tix sales have declined the last 6 years in a row.... Right in line with the economic meltdown of 08.. I would be interested to see how much prices have changed over that span... The average tix for bham bowl is $75 and I would bet 50% of the stadium will be empty... That is unused parking, concessions, hotels, restaurants, and the like all left out due to greed by ESPN...

biggator6

Oct 2, 2014
It's really obvious when watching on TV.. The stadiums are all half empty.

I wouldn't pay $75+ to sit in a half-condemned stadium in Birmingham, Alabama. Legion field is a dump in a sketchy area.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Isn't playing in Birmingham or Shreveport the same thing as playing in front of a studio audience?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n140763 said:
Isn't playing in Birmingham or Shreveport the same thing as playing in front of a studio audience?

… or a stupido audience.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n140763 said:

I thought it was more like playing in front of a laugh track.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Look at the Orange Bowl tonight, empties galore. Nobody wants to pay $100, period. Cut the ticket prices in half, money can still be made, and put more butts in the seats.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
My point exactly Gardner.... Lots of $$$ being left on the table due to overpriced tickets... But, I must be missing something

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Orange Bowl was terrible looking. I'm thinking that with the playoff and restructuring the bowl games and dates have to had made an impact here in addition to the $$$$ to attend a game. Prices are outrageous.

BearCatGator

Aug 26, 2014
Games are becoming so that only people with money can attend. I remember going to games growing up and paying $20 for a ticket. I could make a day trip with a couple friends and end up spending $60 for the entire trip. $75 for one ticket is a lot of money for a lot of people. By the time your eat, drive, and get tickets you are looking at $200 if you are lucky. I am lucky that I have a decent job but it really hurts a lot of the lower class people that were once able to attend games. I can sit back and watch my 60" tv, skip through the commercials, drink and eat for cheap, not have to stand in piss in the bathroom, not freeze or burn up, and sometimes Mrs. BearcatGator can give me some lovin during the game.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
BearCatGator;n140951 said:
Games are becoming so that only people with money can attend. I remember going to games growing up and paying $20 for a ticket. I could make a day trip with a couple friends and end up spending $60 for the entire trip. $75 for one ticket is a lot of money for a lot of people. By the time your eat, drive, and get tickets you are looking at $200 if you are lucky. I am lucky that I have a decent job but it really hurts a lot of the lower class people that were once able to attend games. I can sit back and watch my 60" tv, skip through the commercials, drink and eat for cheap, not have to stand in piss in the bathroom, not freeze or burn up, and sometimes Mrs. BearcatGator can give me some lovin during the game.

Yes sir, :burn:

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

I get your point, but it seems silly to quibble over ticket prices when you have a 60" TV.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Tm and Bearcat, that is the crux of my article link and posting... IMHO, football (like NASCAR a few years back) has passed the tipping point on pricing out the longtime fans... If the Tv money is so lucrative there is no reason the tix prices are so expensive... They should be cheap enough to guarantee a sellout at most bowls... This is the beginning, but 6 years of declining bowl attendance is a trend.
Football is built on a live audience, and when the crowd isn't there to generate enthusiasm, it loses something. The greed running cfb and the nfl both are ruining the game. This will only be excaserbated when they start paying players and more schools go the UAB route...
Just one old codgers opinion

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n140956 said:
I get your point, but it seems silly to quibble over ticket prices when you have a 60" TV.

What an absurd analogy

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
and sometimes Mrs. BearcatGator can give me some lovin during the game.

Easy to work in those 30 second sessions in those 2 minute commercial windows, isn't it?:dance:

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Anyone watching Baylor? I would love to have their passing game....

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
I do wonder about this. Of course bowls in crappy locations are going to suffer, but I wonder why say Nashville does not have packages with hotel rooms at a decent price and the tickets very affordable. Not too many better cities or facilities for their bowl game. Memphis has a dump for a stadium but the city does have some appeal. The Sugar bowl was not a sell out either.

Now if I was UF and had tickets to eat, students would go for free, send them by bus. Sure it would cost a little more but would be worth it.

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
gardnerwebbalumnigator;n141003 said:
Easy to work in those 30 second sessions in those 2 minute commercial windows, isn't it?:dance:
Is this what Mrs Bearcatgator was doing while you were watching the game :jerkit:

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
gatormandan;n141007 said:
Anyone watching Baylor? I would love to have their passing game....

Yes, pretty impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator