Breaking Down Jeff Driskel

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I thought this was interesting. It really speaks to what most of us think is Driskel's biggest problem.. "the ability to read the defense and make the correct decision". At this point in his career he should be able to read a defense better and recognize a blitz. I know this is a new offense, but some of these concepts are the same regardless. I really hope the light bulb comes on for him and he becomes the QB we need.

[video]http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/florida-football/video-breaking-jeff-driskel/[/video]

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Should read "the INABILITY to read the defense and make the correct decision...."

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
Yeah I was just watching this a little bit ago. Jeff has two very large problems. The first is he can't pick up a blitz. He has no vision for it. I don't know that he will ever fix that. He's had four years of film room time and he still can't do it. I'm worried that won't get better. The second problem is he doesn't ever go through his progressions or even wait for his primary receiver to get open. That blown k-post read in the video was awful. That's his primary receiver and he didn't even give time for the route to develop. He immediately went to his safety valve and instead of a 70+ yard TD we have a no gain pass play. He seems to be ok when he knows exactly where to throw the ball pre-snap. He makes decent throws with that, even deep balls. He absolutely can't hit a deep ball when he's forced to make a read. I just don't know if these are issues that can be fixed. At least communication breakdowns in the secondary can be fixed, those aren't talent issues. I think we all are pretty sure by now that Jeff just doesn't have it...

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Driskel has a lacking in a number of areas that seems to be between the ears. Physically he might be the most gifted quarterback in the SEC, but his inability to read and react has been his downfall.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Swamped Gator;n66959 said:
Yeah I was just watching this a little bit ago. Jeff has two very large problems. The first is he can't pick up a blitz. He has no vision for it. I don't know that he will ever fix that. He's had four years of film room time and he still can't do it. I'm worried that won't get better. The second problem is he doesn't ever go through his progressions or even wait for his primary receiver to get open. That blown k-post read in the video was awful. That's his primary receiver and he didn't even give time for the route to develop. He immediately went to his safety valve and instead of a 70+ yard TD we have a no gain pass play. He seems to be ok when he knows exactly where to throw the ball pre-snap. He makes decent throws with that, even deep balls. He absolutely can't hit a deep ball when he's forced to make a read. I just don't know if these are issues that can be fixed. At least communication breakdowns in the secondary can be fixed, those aren't talent issues. I think we all are pretty sure by now that Jeff just doesn't have it...

I feel like he almost goes through his progressions too fast sometimes... It's like bam bam bam, safety... and like you said.. he therefore misses open receivers.

I think this is a symptom of playing behind a bad offensive line and not being used to having time.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;66973 said:
Yet, I get the feeling if he transferred, all of a sudden he would light people up.
He's had zero coaching so far.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
ufgator812;n66989 said:

Which is incredibly unfortunite and a poor job by the staff.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n66973 said:
Yet, I get the feeling if he transferred, all of a sudden he would light people up.
Probably because play to his strengths in regards to the rest of the team....

When you try to bat 1000, you have to have all the pieces in place....sometimes you can't make them fit. Lower your expectations and do much better.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
ufgator812;n66989 said:

He is the one player I don't blame the coaching staff for lack of development. He is missing things out there the average High School QB can see. He just doesn't have the instincts / mental makeup to play the position effectively imo.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n66994 said:
He is the one player I don't blame the coaching staff for lack of development. He is missing things out there the average High School QB can see. He just doesn't have the instincts / mental makeup to play the position effectively imo.

These do appear to be missing.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n67003 said:
It is called regressing. That what having a coach like Muschamp does to you. I don't know many player that has made killer strides under Muschamp, but know many that have gone downhill. Jeff is worse than he was before he became a Gator. And his head is completely messed up. Can you imaging the thoughts going through his head, when he takes his fist snap for the TN game? His confidence is destroyed thanks to Muschamp. And you need confidence to lead your team through a tough game. Why do you think it is that the last 2 QBs that transferred are improving, while JD is getting worse?

I see your point but I think Brissett just needed to get some games under his belt (which Muschamp wasn't going to allow with a healthy Driskel) and Murphy actually showed field awareness unlike Driskel even when he played for us. I don't really think Murphy had a chance to do anything after the injury.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;66994 said:
Maybe. Given the choice of blaming a college kid or a grown ass man who is paid to coach, teach, & train, I'll blame the coaching staff every time. We will never know what would have been. This era has been a total loss.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
ufgator812;n67040 said:
Maybe. Given the choice of blaming a college kid or a grown ass man who is paid to coach, teach, & train, I'll blame the coaching staff every time. We will never know what would have been. This era has been a total loss.

is it because your a man and your 40?

But I do agree, the staff deserves more blame than the kid 9 out of 10 times.

GatorSteve

Founding Member
Lounge Lizard
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
I used to defend Driskel to a fault. After his horrible showing against Louisville in the Sugar Bowl, this link spoke volumes to me.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
ufgator812;67040 said:
Is Driskel awful? Yes. But we have nobody to replace him and that's Champ's fault. We shouldn't be so lousy at recruiting QBs that we only have two True Freshman QBs backing him up.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n66994 said:
It is possible that you just can't coach that up...it is a god given skill to mentally be able to process information like that quickly and react. Some have it and some don't. For all the good Tebow did here he couldn't read defenses and react real well either...that was his downfall in the NFL. He was much better at it then Driskel on the collegiate level and was a more accurate passer. though he did have an unbelievable Oline and WR/TE group to throw to.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
ufgator812;n66989 said:

Well, he's on his third OC now. And, he basically lost more than 75% of last season. He didn't do much his freshman year, filling in for Brantley and then getting hurt, and then Brantley came back, and he was done for 2011.

I think Pease ruined him in 2012.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n67007 said:
I see your point but I think Brissett just needed to get some games under his belt (which Muschamp wasn't going to allow with a healthy Driskel) and Murphy actually showed field awareness unlike Driskel even when he played for us. I don't really think Murphy had a chance to do anything after the injury.

Look at BC's stats - Murphy still isn't lighting it up with his arm - he beat USC with his wheels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator