Breaking Down Jeff Driskel

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n67120 said:
This. The fact that Brissett--who looked terrible here as well--has magically improved at NCSt tells me everything I need to know.

I think it's probably a bit early to include Roper in this mix of poor coaching. Still holding out hope that JD can improve under him, if he's going to be the starter.

I just have a hard time believing Kurt roper is all of a sudden a bad oc as a matter of fact I hope he's retained when the next staff comes in.

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
How Driskel plays in real life and how I play NCAA 2014 is very similar: I already have my target in mind (mostly WRs) and wait for him to get open. If he's covered, I go to the running back or tight end. If I'm throwing it over 20 yards, I do a simple fly pattern, press the X/Y button, and hope for the best. I average about 50-60% complete for around 300 yards. We even both struggle getting good yardage with called runs.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n67189 said:
Originally posted by soflagator View Post

This. The fact that Brissett--who looked terrible here as well--has magically improved at NCSt tells me everything I need to know.

I think it's probably a bit early to include Roper in this mix of poor coaching. Still holding out hope that JD can improve under him, if he's going to be the starter.

I just have a hard time believing Kurt roper is all of a sudden a bad oc as a matter of fact I hope he's retained when the next staff comes in

TGator I don't think Roper is bad at all. We saw some of the playbook we were expecting. I feel the inability by JD to run the offense is causing Roper to dial it back. But in the same token if you read the thread recapping the offensive plays from the first half its pretty clear. 3-OC's, 4 years, same QB. Weis and Pease had issues for sure. Roper I feel is legit. JD/WM are the common denominators here. Depending on how the game goes Saturday if JD is Driskeling there is no reason not to see if TH can ignite a bit of a spark. Why not play him to hand off. If it goes bad with JD, thats all WM will do.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TN G8tr;n67231 said:
TGator I don't think Roper is bad at all. We saw some of the playbook we were expecting. I feel the inability by JD to run the offense is causing Roper to dial it back. But in the same token if you read the thread recapping the offensive plays from the first half its pretty clear. 3-OC's, 4 years, same QB. Weis and Pease had issues for sure. Roper I feel is legit. JD/WM are the common denominators here. Depending on how the game goes Saturday if JD is Driskeling there is no reason not to see if TH can ignite a bit of a spark. Why not play him to hand off. If it goes bad with JD, thats all WM will do.

I agree my friend

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
TN G8tr;n67231 said:

The problem with Roper is that the longer WM hangs around, the harder it will be to get the stink off him.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n67189 said:
I just have a hard time believing Kurt roper is all of a sudden a bad oc as a matter of fact I hope he's retained when the next staff comes in.

After what happened last season, and the way the fans are going this season. If/when Muschamp is removed there will need to be a housecleaning. Everything will go to because of the way the last 4 years have been handled. Roper will land on his feet, I just don't believe it will be here.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I wouldn't mind keeping Roper, but any new coach is going to want to at least make that decision himself. Remember Urban kept Charlie Strong, so it is not entirely impossible for Roper to be kept.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n67400 said:
I wouldn't mind keeping Roper, but any new coach is going to want to at least make that decision himself. Remember Urban kept Charlie Strong, so it is not entirely impossible for Roper to be kept.

Charlie was kept, but Charlie was also part of the package to sell Meyer on Florida. The Zook era didn't have that stinch this era of football has brought on the fanbase. To truly appease the fanbase/boosters this will be a teardown, and rebuild.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n67400 said:

If that coach's OC took a head coaching job or wanted to remain with the new coach that may be a possibility but I doubt it happens otherwise. I would like Roper to be given control of the team after Georgia or whenever it is clear Muschamp is gone to see what he can do with Harris and him running the offense without interference.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n66973 said:
Yet, I get the feeling if he transferred, all of a sudden he would light people up.

I have never agreed with one of your comments more than this one.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n67115 said:
Nobody seems to get much better due to coaching. I've watch the games Muschamp has coached, under different coordinators and different players. He is the anti-developer. I've seen all I need to see. The problem is Muschamp. One of the QBs that transferred beat USC, the other one kept his in the game team against #1 Criminoles, and scored a lot of points. Last year I thought it was JD. This year I am leaning towards coaching. I might be a combination of both. But when I see people go backwards, I think coaching is the issue.

I haven't seen Jeff go backwards.. I just don't see him progressing. The whole Tyler Murphy thing is a joke and to be honest... you lose credibility when you keep throwing it out there. Yes.. he beat USC with his legs and the team's defense, but he is not a great passer and would not be a successful QB at UF.

Brisett played well the 1st half against FSU, but he never looked good at UF and would have struggled with our offensive line. I would have loved to see Brisett stay and possibly have his shot last year, but he wanted to transfer and I don't blame him for that.

My point here is that you keep saying Muschamp impacted Jeff's confidence like Jeff was some amazing QB who read defenses well and made all the throws until Muschamp got a hold of him... you have provided absolutely no proof of that.

If you want to bash Muschamp's coaching... there are plenty of actual examples you can use instead of just making things up.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n67597 said:
Jeff was bad in high school? I thought he was the #1 overall pick in the country. Jeff looks better than he does in high school? In year four? I'm not saying that #1 picks can't be busts. But at this point, walk-ons that we have not even heard of>JD. Did you not watch the Bama game. Not only could he not score unless the defense caused turnovers. He really could not move the ball period. Yes he came alive in 2nd half of KY, but normally for the Gators KY is an afterthought. Normally, when the Gators get the new schedule, we immediately circle KY and Vandy as sure wins. Now we are praying that JD does not lose to TN badly. That is what I call regression.

You can't compare what somebody does in HS to how they perform in college and say they regress. If Jeff looked great in his first season at UF, I could see your point, but just because he looked good in HS against lesser competition and simple defensive schemes and he hasn't adjusted to college doesn't mean he has regressed or that Muschamp has killed his confidence.

You are correct that the Gators have regressed, but we have been talking about Driskel specifically.

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
He is, what he is. Hopefully Roper can manage his skillset through the season. I'm guessing Roper may have to adjust what he asks JD to do based on what he's seen through these 1st few games.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Coach9;n67671 said:
He is, what he is. Hopefully Roper can manage his skillset through the season. I'm guessing Roper may have to adjust what he asks JD to do based on what he's seen through these 1st few games.

This is what I gathered from Roper's press conference and his comments about he is being too aggressive. I read that as... Jeff isn't as prepared to handle some of the plays that Roper has and he has to dial back the playbook to fit what Jeff is capable of doing on the field.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n67664 said:
Freshman QB's who have not had anything but spring practice performed better than this. I think he has regressed. He is a shell of his former self. We are just gonna have to agree to disagree.
so you are saying that Driskel is worse this year than in 2012?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
-THE DUDE-;n67707 said:
so you are saying that Driskel is worse this year than in 2012?

I wouldn't worse, but I also wouldn't say he is any better either.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
ec8445b9-b8fd-4704-90f9-fadccf257d66.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.