Breaking down UF's recruiting area's instate

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I know Nord has a big area land wise but did they chop it up where he isn't in any recruiting hot beds.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Nord and Nuss have the areas with the least talent :lol2:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Nord and Nuss have the areas with the least talent :lol2:

Rumph should have Pinellas not Nuss. Give Rumph the whole TB area.

And I guess we are conceding all of Nord's area.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Rumph should have Pinellas not Nuss. Give Rumph the whole TB area.

And I guess we are conceding all of Nord's area.
I didn't see that part, I agree, that should be Rumphs too.
That's a very very dense area though, so I can see splitting it up...just not with Nuss

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Glad to see Tim Skipper in Jacksonville. We've really sh*t the bed in Jacksonville and the state of Georgia. Those are two areas we should be signing 3-5 kids every year (combined).

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
We should own from central Florida to northeast Florida.

Well, I tend to agree. I wouldn't say "own" in regards to NE FL (Jacksonville area)....but we should certainly get our fair share (along w/ FSU). No way a team like Ohio State, Alabama, or Clemson should cherry pick Jacksonville (which they have been doing). Remember Saban landing in a helicopter there last year? WTF?!?! Getting back into Jacksonville should be a priority...but it appears this staff doesn't give a sh*t about Jacksonville and have conceded it to anyone who wants in. They are making S. Florida/Miami a priority, which is fine...but if you look at the current recruiting rankings, Mark Richt and Miami are dominating down there (like UM used to do). We're getting good players from that area, but not the cream of the crop. We could easily get the cream of the crop from NE Florida IF we had a solid recruiter there. Glad Nord is no longer that guy!

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

It is pretty hard for me to believe that one guy has Osceola and Polk? So I am not buying this map is completely accurate.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It is pretty hard for me to believe that one guy has Osceola and Polk? So I am not buying this map is completely accurate.
Why? Particularly considering he has nothing other than those two counties.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This is from gatorcountry, includes out of state areas (Nord has south Georgia. WTF???):

Offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier
Nussmeier will continue recruiting the Pinellas County area and southwest Florida while also taking on the Atlanta area outside of the state. Nussmeier, of course, will be very involved in all quarterback recruiting.

Defensive coordinator Randy Shannon
Shannon has been a hit in South Florida for years and he will continue to recruit that area. He’s assigned Broward and Dade county but will help in all of South Florida.

Linebackers coach Tim Skipper
Skipper has made a name for himself on the recruiting trail the last few years by landing prospects from Alabama and New Orleans. Skipper will continue to recruiting Jacksonville, Mobile, Alabama and New Orleans, Louisiana but will also add Pensacola to his territory.

Tight ends coach Greg Nord
Nord will keep the Gainesville, Ocala, Nature coast and South Georgia areas while adding most of the panhandle to his areas.

Receivers coach Kerry Dixon
Dixon has been recruiting some of South Florida the last few years but he will now recruiting the Orlando, Daytona, and Space coast area in state while taking on Houston, Texas as well. Dixon played ball in Houston so he’s very familiar with the area and that helped him pull receiver Tyrie Cleveland from that area two years ago.

Running backs coach JaJuan Seider
One of the biggest gets for Florida both on and off the field this year was Seider who has already proven to be an ace recruiter in his short time on staff. Seider will recruit the Atlantic coast, Palm Beach county, Broward County and also take on the Atlanta area.

Offensive line coach Brad Davis
Davis has also been a major get for the Gators and has been a big upgrade at the position in recruiting so far. Davis will focus on Polk County, Osceola and help in South Georgia.

Defensive backs coach Corey Bell
Bell made a name for himself in recruiting South Florida and he will recruit Broward County as well as Dade County and help out in Atlanta out of state.
Defensive line coach Chris Rumph
Rumph will once again recruit the Tampa area in state and help out in Atlanta, Georgia out of state.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Why? Particularly considering he has nothing other than those two counties.

Well here is the population per coach in the state of Florida according to that map and this site:

http://www.us-places.com/Florida/population-by-County.htm

Nord: 2.0 million
Skipper: 2.1 million
Dixon: 3.1 million
Davis: 0.9 million
Rumph: 2.1 million
Nussmeier: 2.7
Seider: 2.0 million
Shannon/Bell: 2.2 million

There are 3 big oddities there. They are the populations covered by Dixon, Davis and Nussmeier. Now maybe Davis has a really small area for some reason, but if you take Orange and give it to Davis then Davis would have an area of 2.1 million people and Dixon would have an area of 1.9 million.

That would leave Nussmeier's area as the one oddity. I will leave it to Swamp Donkey to discuss why Nussmeier might have the biggest recruiting area by population for the rest of the day, AT LEAST.

BTW, I looked at the map in this thread looked at a county map and tried to match up everything. I may have made a mistake here or there, but it would be with small counties. Also the map here makes it look maybe like the Keys parts of Monroe might be included in with Dade and Broward, but I could not tell and I am not willing to bother trying to break down areas of counties by population.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Well here is the population per coach in the state of Florida according to that map and this site:

http://www.us-places.com/Florida/population-by-County.htm

Nord: 2.0 million
Skipper: 2.1 million
Dixon: 3.1 million
Davis: 0.9 million
Rumph: 2.1 million
Nussmeier: 2.7
Seider: 2.0 million
Shannon/Bell: 2.2 million

There are 3 big oddities there. They are the populations covered by Dixon, Davis and Nussmeier. Now maybe Davis has a really small area for some reason, but if you take Orange and give it to Davis then Davis would have an area of 2.1 million people and Dixon would have an area of 1.9 million.

That would leave Nussmeier's area as the one oddity. I will leave it to Swamp Donkey to discuss why Nussmeier might have the biggest recruiting area by population for the rest of the day, AT LEAST.

BTW, I looked at the map in this thread looked at a county map and tried to match up everything. I may have made a mistake here or there, but it would be with small counties. Also the map here makes it look maybe like the Keys parts of Monroe might be included in with Dade and Broward, but I could not tell and I am not willing to bother trying to break down areas of counties by population.
Here's the thing, you can't necessarily go by population alone. There are other factors at play. First is if that area actually produces athletes. Outside of Pinellas co, much of Nuss area have a much older demographic. That's not to say you can't find recruits there, but rather it isn't a hot bed that other areas are.

You also have to consider existing connections that any of these coaches may have already had in those areas, then also consider that with some of the new coaches, they may be pinpointing their areas so they have less to worry about but also be able to spend more time in those areas. Osceola and Polk do produce athletes, but giving him Orange also may stretch him thin as Orange produces a lot as well, and it's entirely possible that these maps don't stay the same anyway, nor are they set in stone during any recruiting cycle, I'm sure there is bleed over.

Basically, I wouldn't take this map as the end all be all.

Also, those numbers have changed some since the 2012 figures you are using to the tune of about 3 million more people, much of that growth in central fla.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Here's the thing, you can't necessarily go by population alone. There are other factors at play. First is if that area actually produces athletes. Outside of Pinellas co, much of Nuss area have a much older demographic. That's not to say you can't find recruits there, but rather it isn't a hot bed that other areas are.

You also have to consider existing connections that any of these coaches may have already had in those areas, then also consider that with some of the new coaches, they may be pinpointing their areas so they have less to worry about but also be able to spend more time in those areas. Osceola and Polk do produce athletes, but giving him Orange also may stretch him thin as Orange produces a lot as well, and it's entirely possible that these maps don't stay the same anyway, nor are they set in stone during any recruiting cycle, I'm sure there is bleed over.

Basically, I wouldn't take this map as the end all be all.

Also, those numbers have changed some since the 2012 figures you are using to the tune of about 3 million more people, much of that growth in central fla.

I agree in general with all your points but maybe the first one:

1. Nussmeier does have not only St. Pete, but Fort Myers and Naples, so I would not completely agree that they are not good recruiting spots.

2. I do agree that populations and athletes do not match up 1 to 1, but they do match up fairly well.

3. I do not take this map as an end all which is why I doubted it in my first post.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
1. Nussmeier does have not only St. Pete, but Fort Myers and Naples, so I would not completely agree that they are not good recruiting spots.
Like I said, there are certainly some recruits there, however, they are not the hotbeds that other parts of the state are, except maybe St Pete.

2. I do agree that populations and athletes do not match up 1 to 1, but they do match up fairly well.
To some degree, sure. As a general guideline, it's where you start, but there is obviously more to it than just population size alone, that was really my only point there.

3. I do not take this map as an end all which is why I doubted it in my first post.
:thumbup:

I was just questioning what you meant by "It is pretty hard for me to believe that one guy has Osceola and Polk?" specifically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator