Bring back DJ Durkin as UF DC...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Hell I'd take him as a LB coach....it's not like we have one now anyway. If I'm not mistaken he was brought in here as a LB and ST coach anyway and coached a few studs like Bostic, Jenkins and McCray and was key in the development of Jarrad Davis...
STs LB and recruiting coordinator would be fine.

They are really two issues, one being do we hire DJ and two do we fire Grantham. Answer one should be and immediate yes. Two, I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting that. We will soon though, even if it is next year. I'm all for firing dwags as soon as possible.

You cant get by with two mediocre coordinators, and we are trying to keep the mediocre OC.

Last edited:

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
You guys are nuts. Be very careful what you wish for.

It’s what they do. The backup QB is better than the starter. The next mid-major coach is better than the current head coach. The DC sucks because he threw the choke sign at Chas Henry. And so on, and so on, and so on. Rinse, wash, repeat. Thousand posts. Boom.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It’s what they do. The backup QB is better than the starter. The next mid-major coach is better than the current head coach. The DC sucks because he threw the choke sign at Chas Henry. And so on, and so on, and so on. Rinse, wash, repeat. Thousand posts. Boom.

What in gatham's history as a DC, makes you think he is a guy worth hanging on to for the long haul?

leogator

May 5, 2018
A lot of schizos on this board. Ranting and raving about the Sunbelt Conference level talent one minute then ranting and raving about Grantham's coaching of the Sunbelt level talent. Pick one or the other narrative and stick to it. Either we have 3* level talent that should have been rated 5* or we have low level 3* that's playing like its rating. It's not like it's Grantham that bites on the fakes and is out of position or misses the tackles. When we play man to man and blitz you bitch because somebody that should not be playing CB but is because of injuries gets burned. When we play zone and the players miss tackles you also bitch at Grantham. Bitch at the players. The same players that have been missing tackles for the last 2-3 years. The same players that have been biting on fakes for the last 2-3 years. Let's upgrade the talent first then you can bitch about the coaching. And I don't mean just ratings. I mean toughness, coachability, footwork, diagnosing plays, angle of attack. What good is a a 4.5 linebacker when he overruns the play at 4.5 then he has bad footwork and tries to make an arm tackle? It takes a long time to help players shed bad habits. Maybe benching VJ is the right message to send to him and other players that making the same mistakes over and over will not be tolerated.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
A lot of schizos on this board. Ranting and raving about the Sunbelt Conference level talent one minute then ranting and raving about Grantham's coaching of the Sunbelt level talent. Pick one or the other narrative and stick to it. Either we have 3* level talent that should have been rated 5* or we have low level 3* that's playing like its rating. It's not like it's Grantham that bites on the fakes and is out of position or misses the tackles. When we play man to man and blitz you ***** because somebody that should not be playing CB but is because of injuries gets burned. When we play zone and the players miss tackles you also ***** at Grantham. ***** at the players. The same players that have been missing tackles for the last 2-3 years. The same players that have been biting on fakes for the last 2-3 years. Let's upgrade the talent first then you can ***** about the coaching. And I don't mean just ratings. I mean toughness, coachability, footwork, diagnosing plays, angel of attack. What good is a a 4.5 linebacker when he overruns the play at 4.5 then he has bad footwork and tries to make an arm tackle? It takes a long time to help players shed bad habits. Maybe benching VJ is the right message to send to him.

So his history at other stops don't count? His Resume is only 11 games long?

leogator

May 5, 2018
So his history at other stops don't count? His Resume is only 11 games long?
What was wrong with his coaching at Miss State?
Mississippi State (2017)
Grantham, a nominee for the Broyles Award as the top assistant coach in the country, made an immediate splash in his lone year as defensive coordinator in Starkville. In his fifth season as a defensive coordinator in the SEC, Grantham guided the best MSU defense in recent memory.

Category 2017 Stats 2017 Rank in SEC / FBS Best at MSU Since…
Total Defense
302.0 3rd / 10th 1999 (222.5)
Pass Defense 175.0 4th / 13th 2007 (174.9)
Rush Defense 127.0 4th / 24th 2010 (119.1)
First Down Defense 13.2 1st / 1st 1963 (10.2)
Scoring Defense 20.4 5th / 24th 2011 (19.7)
Yards Per Play 5.2 5th / 39th 1999 (3.3)
Third Down Defense 31.0% 1st / 12th 1999 (27.0%)

Louisville

Grantham’s squads at Louisville ranked in the top-20 nationally in either scoring or total defense in all three years he was there.

Grantham’s commitment to an aggressive and physical style was evident in Louisville’s run defense, which finished top-15 nationally in all three of his seasons. The Cardinals were 12th against the run in 2016 (115.2 ypg), 14th in 2015 (120.2 ypg) and No. 10 in 2014 (108.9 ypg). They notably held All-American and Doak Walker Award finalist Dalvin Cook to only 54 yards on the ground in a 63-20 victory over Florida State on Sept. 17, 2016. From 2012-16, Louisville ranked second nationally in yards per carry defense (3.3) behind only Alabama (2.6).

Georgia

The 2012 season saw the Bulldogs finish with a 12-2 record, which included a loss to Alabama, the eventual national champion, in the SEC Championship Game. Georgia, champions of the Capital One Bowl, ended the campaign 18th in the country in scoring defense (19.6 ppg), holding five opponents to 10 or fewer points, and eighth nationally in pass defense (175.6 ypg).

In his second season at Georgia in 2011, the defense showed a dramatic jump in the national statistics. The group finished the year fifth nationally in total defense (277.2 ypg; 11th versus rushing, 10th versus passing), third in third-down defense (28.9 percent), fifth in interceptions (20), and seventh in turnovers gained (32), which ranked first in the SEC.

Last edited:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What was wrong with his coaching at Miss State?

UGA 2010-2013
UL 2014-2016
MSU 2017

There is a reason that he is known as 3rd and Grantham, must like Muschamp defenses have a high ranking, but are known for their more than common breakdown in coverage and lack of fundamentals.

leogator

May 5, 2018
UGA 2010-2013
UL 2014-2016
MSU 2017

There is a reason that he is known as 3rd and Grantham, must like Muschamp defenses have a high ranking, but are known for their more than common breakdown in coverage and lack of fundamentals.
See my edited post above.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
See my edited post above.

and I had addressed the rankings, but you didn't address the common break down in coverage or fundamentals which is how he earned his nickname. Muschamp would have highly ranked defense rankings, but then would be exposed by fundamental breakdowns in down and distance on a more than regular basis.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Which powers that be have you been talking with?

Why would our powers that be speak with a Null troll?

DJ will get hired by Urban this winter if Urban doesnt quit.
Fvvck you!
It clearly states that I think. Are you retarded or something? And the guy that's literally praying for our coach's demise is calling me a Nole?
And again if I wasn't clear enough earlier, fvvck you donkey.

CTGator

Nov 16, 2017
Nothing wrong with Grantham - we have a bunch of Randy Shannon specials at LB and weak up front. With this LB class and if we flip a few guys up front we will be fine. Esp if we sign Elam, Hill and Steele to go with Marco, Hendo and Dean.

leogator

May 5, 2018
and I had addressed the rankings, but you didn't address the common break down in coverage or fundamentals which is how he earned his nickname. Muschamp would have highly ranked defense rankings, but then would be exposed by fundamental breakdowns in down and distance on a more than regular basis.
All defenses have breakdowns and weak points. We have a weaker than usual interior DL and can't set the edge on running plays. Our defensive talent and depth is poor. Relentless effort can only get you so far.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Fvvck you!
It clearly states that I think. Are you retarded or something? And the guy that's literally praying for our coach's demise is calling me a Nole?
And again if I wasn't clear enough earlier, fvvck you donkey.
:lmao2: I like this guy.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
So if Grantham did leave on his own after this season ( don't think he'll get fired), who would Mullen go after? Not who we as fans would go after, but who does Mullen target? Someone mention the scUM defensive coordinator, I think Mullen had him on his staff at Miss St, so that a possibility. Not sure how well he has done or his recruiting skills. We all have mentioned DJ, would love it, but something tells me this administration wouldn't like it this soon after his scandal. Who else does Mullen have ties with beside Strong( definitely not a possibility) or Mattison ( I'm guessing he's pretty old), I can't think of any more off top of my head, but there's got to be several. Does Mullen just promote someone on staff, if he did do we have any strong candidates that would do a good job?

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Grantham leaves a lot on the table but I like his attack style after years of Shannon and Sidehat. He has his flaws for sure but like I said before I will take him over the chimp any day of the week. If Mullen could bring in Durkin I would be on board with that for sure but I wont hold my breath.

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
What in gatham's history as a DC, makes you think he is a guy worth hanging on to for the long haul?
Leo pretty much summed it up in the post below your question. Grantham had the third ranked D in the country one year at Georgia. I just don't pretend to know more than Mullen and Strickland, who made him the highest paid DC in the country. They may be wrong. They may be right. I just know Grantham is here for a while so I may as well be optimistic about the direction of the team.
Sorry, left out the part about the glass half-empty guys face-palming the glass half-full guys. Bring me to double figures today!

Bottom line, Ivy League Fuchs and Cowbell Stricklin aren't bring back Durkin. Or getting rid of Grantham.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.