Bring back DJ Durkin as UF DC...

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I don't care what it would look like. Durkin is not a shyt like some of these other coaches.

I also would not mind Gene Chizik as DC.

I think in time, we'll lose Grantham anyway if he ever wants to be a HC

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
STs LB and recruiting coordinator would be fine.

They are really two issues, one being do we hire DJ and two do we fire Grantham. Answer one should be and immediate yes. Two, I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting that. We will soon though, even if it is next year. I'm all for firing dwags as soon as possible.

You cant get by with two mediocre coordinators, and we are trying to keep the mediocre OC.
I'd be fine bringing him in a lower position for now where he is out of the spotlight for a while. We know he can coach LB's and when the Dawg finally runs out of tricks(which shouldn't take too long) then we've already got a guy in house. Really now that I think about it Durkin had a hellova lot more to do with Muschamp's defenses than Muschamp did....

leogator

May 5, 2018
So if Grantham did leave on his own after this season ( don't think he'll get fired), who would Mullen go after? Not who we as fans would go after, but who does Mullen target? Someone mention the scUM defensive coordinator, I think Mullen had him on his staff at Miss St, so that a possibility. Not sure how well he has done or his recruiting skills. We all have mentioned DJ, would love it, but something tells me this administration wouldn't like it this soon after his scandal. Who else does Mullen have ties with beside Strong( definitely not a possibility) or Mattison ( I'm guessing he's pretty old), I can't think of any more off top of my head, but there's got to be several. Does Mullen just promote someone on staff, if he did do we have any strong candidates that would do a good job?
Plus wasn't he the DC in the Georgia Southern game? The whole 4-8 season?

Mattison is the DL coach. Don Brown is the DC for Michigan.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Plus wasn't he the DC in the Georgia Southern game?

The 4-8 season was not because of defense. It was because of depth, which was directly tied to WM's ridiculous purging of the roster in 2011, and a completely inept offense.

And regarding specifically the Gsu game, in addition to the points above, that game was about an overall offensive mindset that was basically a staple of WM's coaching philosophy. You can't let triple-option teams hang around and hope to grind out a 7-14 point win. It allows them to run their base(only) offense the whole game, which is always one slightly missed assignment from a disaster. It's why you see teams with real coaching go up 3 or more scores and force them out of their comfort zone. There's a reason why they didn't even need to complete a pass that day to win. Total game plan failure that can't be pinned on the DC.

leogator

May 5, 2018
The 4-8 season was not because of defense. It was because of depth, which was directly tied to WM's ridiculous purging of the roster in 2011, and a completely inept offense.

And regarding specifically the Gsu game, in addition to the points above, that game was about an overall offensive mindset that was basically a staple of WM's coaching philosophy. You can't let triple-option teams hang around and hope to grind out a 7-14 point win. It allows them to run their base(only) offense the whole game, which is always one slightly missed assignment from a disaster. It's why you see teams with real coaching go up 3 or more scores and force them out of their comfort zone. There's a reason why they didn't even need to complete a pass that day to win. Total game plan failure that can't be pinned on the DC.
Making excuses...

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Plus wasn't he the DC in the Georgia Southern game? The whole 4-8 season?

Mattison was a DC her with Charlie Strong, just naming people with ties to Mullen. Mattison is pretty old, doubt he'd be an option anyways.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Plus wasn't he the DC in the Georgia Southern game? The whole 4-8 season
Look, Im down with Mattison, but he was old before. Even older now. Maybe that matters, maybe not.

Strong WAS the DC though then. They just wanted Mattison and had to give him that "coDC" title to get out of his contract. I forget which school, maybe Meatchiken then too?

But only a moron thinks anyone but Muschump was the DC while he was here. Being DC under Chump is a bit like being OC under Mullinz or SOS.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Quinn being here? You mean Omar, Sharif and Dominique being here?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
We need a dual threat DC. Maybe two compatibles could work? I mean, I want to keep Grantham's "blow'em up" blitzing but with better backup coverage = no overrunning & no vacant gaps. Wrap up tackles need be taught. Coaches can develop, just like players can.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
It’s what they do. The backup QB is better than the starter. The next mid-major coach is better than the current head coach. The DC sucks because he threw the choke sign at Chas Henry. And so on, and so on, and so on. Rinse, wash, repeat. Thousand posts. Boom.

What’s happened Tay B? You started out so strong, funny, sarcastic and irreverent (including the name). The last week you’ve gone full SwampGas, complaining about complainers, stepping up (in a very serious tone) for Franks, and now Grantham.

What have you don’t with T Bang and his AR-15s?

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I don't care what it would look like. Durkin is not a shyt like some of these other coaches.

I also would not mind Gene Chizik as DC.

I think in time, we'll lose Grantham anyway if he ever wants to be a HC

:lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2:

Joe Lee Dunn Jr. might WANT, but doubt there is much reciprocal feeling out there.

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
826D80C4-CAC2-4D2E-8F1F-A2676F89746B.gif
What’s happened Tay B? You started out so strong, funny, sarcastic and irreverent (including the name). The last week you’ve gone full SwampGas, complaining about complainers, stepping up (in a very serious tone) for Franks, and now Grantham.

What have you don’t with T Bang and his AR-15s?

Good point! Better?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So you mean Sharif, Omar, and Easley were dominating? Lerentee? Elam? Bostic and Jelani? Roberson?

Purifoy? Pretty damn good. Hed easily be the best DB on this team (currently). So would Evans. Hell Evans would start at safety regardless of injuries. He isnt talented? He was a 4 star talent.

Even that goofy ass non-covering, non-tackling Watkins stayed in the league a bit.

Dominique, Sharif, Omar and Lerentee? Today, we dont have a single DL as good as one of those guys. (Don't even mention on of those one trick pony pass rushers who aren't worth a fvkk vs the run.)

Defenses start and end with great lines? I agree completely. It is a line of scrimmage league, even if you are a dwagchump who says that but is too stupid to actually work on signing anyone but CBs and miniDEs.

I dont know who saw Kitchens on the field. I didnt. Maybe after a loss once with the band. Good kid but he wasn't on the field in 2012.

If there was a more talented Gator defense, I cant come up with one. There certainly is no team with CLEARLY more talent than that. It's at least arguable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator