Browns DL coach intrigued by Caleb Brantley's talent, perplexed by his lack of effort

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Browns DL coach intrigued by Caleb Brantley's talent, perplexed by his lack of effort

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/f...caleb-brantleys-talent-perplexed-lack-effort/

Following the gamble of selecting defensive lineman Caleb Brantley with the No. 1 pick in the sixth round of the 2017 NFL Draft, all charges against Brantley have since been dismissed following his alleged involvement in an altercation with a woman, Cleveland is now attempting to figure out what it has in the rookie lineman.

Judging by what the team’s defensive line coach Clyde Simmons has seen thus far in Brantley’s short time in Cleveland, the Browns don’t quite know what to make of the former Gator. According to Nate Ulrich of the Akron Beacon Journal, Simmons sees massive potential in Brantley, while at the same time, questioning his level of consistency.

“Caleb is a unique personality and unique player,” Simmon said. “He shows first-round talent at times and then he shows somebody who shouldn’t be playing at other times, and my job is to get him playing at a consistent level, a consistent high level.”

The reviews aren’t all positive, however, as Simmons questions whether Brantley has the necessary effort to achieve success as the game’s highest level.

“Effort, all the stuff. He’s like every young player that comes in this league,” Simmons continued. “They’ve got an idea about what they want and what they think they can do, but you have to learn to play it the way we want you to play it.”

While this may be just the latest example of coach speak being directed Brantley’s way, if it works to get the rookie operating at his full potential, the Browns may have acquired one of the biggest steals in the latest draft.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/f...caleb-brantleys-talent-perplexed-lack-effort/

Following the gamble of selecting defensive lineman Caleb Brantley with the No. 1 pick in the sixth round of the 2017 NFL Draft, all charges against Brantley have since been dismissed following his alleged involvement in an altercation with a woman, Cleveland is now attempting to figure out what it has in the rookie lineman.

Judging by what the team’s defensive line coach Clyde Simmons has seen thus far in Brantley’s short time in Cleveland, the Browns don’t quite know what to make of the former Gator. According to Nate Ulrich of the Akron Beacon Journal, Simmons sees massive potential in Brantley, while at the same time, questioning his level of consistency.

“Caleb is a unique personality and unique player,” Simmon said. “He shows first-round talent at times and then he shows somebody who shouldn’t be playing at other times, and my job is to get him playing at a consistent level, a consistent high level.”

The reviews aren’t all positive, however, as Simmons questions whether Brantley has the necessary effort to achieve success as the game’s highest level.

“Effort, all the stuff. He’s like every young player that comes in this league,” Simmons continued. “They’ve got an idea about what they want and what they think they can do, but you have to learn to play it the way we want you to play it.”

While this may be just the latest example of coach speak being directed Brantley’s way, if it works to get the rookie operating at his full potential, the Browns may have acquired one of the biggest steals in the latest draft.
I said it then and I'll say it again - Brantley IS the steal of the draft.
The reporter's a little late in figuring that one out.

GatorSkin

Founding Member
Nord for President 2020
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I laughed when he said he was a gamble in the 6th round! How can anybody be a gamble that late in the draft especially when your the browns? Steal of the draft

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I laughed when he said he was a gamble in the 6th round! How can anybody be a gamble that late in the draft especially when your the browns? Steal of the draft

The comment was based off of the pending charges (legal trouble). He was projected as high as a first rounder early in the process, then settled into the mid-2nd to early 3rd round area.....and fell to the 6th round due to his legal issues. The Browns made the comments that they were prepared to release him if the charges stuck. So, that's why it was a "gamble"...but most of us (Gator fans) get the point. He was actually a steal.

GatorSkin

Founding Member
Nord for President 2020
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The comment was based off of the pending charges (legal trouble). He was projected as high as a first rounder early in the process, then settled into the mid-2nd to early 3rd round area.....and fell to the 6th round due to his legal issues. The Browns made the comments that they were prepared to release him if the charges stuck. So, that's why it was a "gamble"...but most of us (Gator fans) get the point. He was actually a steal.
Oh I know why he called it a gamble and I would agree with it if it was a 2nd to 4th round pick.
6th round I'm sorry I don't care what he's been accused off half those guys don't make it through camp anyways. If he's a first round talent you take him and let it play out if he's guilty you cut him no big deal it's in no way a gamble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator