Burrito Bros. Closing

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Only went there once and didn't even get anything for myself. My daughter and her fiance at the time (now her husband) ate though. I paid the bill and I remember thinking to myself, wow, how do the students afford this? It was pretty high priced for a fast food joint right next to a college campus. It looked great, I'll give them that, but man oh man were they high priced. I could've fed a family of 12 for the same price at Taco Bell. I think if I moved back to G'ville some day, I'd miss Skeeters a lot more.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Joe's Deli's closing was sadder for me. I ate that toasted Gatortail sandwich probably 4 times a week while I was in school.

That was a hard one to get over there. Loved me some Joe's deli back in the day and before games. Now two of my gameday rituals are gone.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
:ohnoez:

That sucks. BBs have been a huge part of gameday for our gang. I would meet all of our UF family from So. Florida on gameday. It was our place to hang out, eat, and remember the good old days. Truly sad. It won't be the same.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
Only went there once and didn't even get anything for myself. My daughter and her fiance at the time (now her husband) ate though. I paid the bill and I remember thinking to myself, wow, how do the students afford this? It was pretty high priced for a fast food joint right next to a college campus. It looked great, I'll give them that, but man oh man were they high priced. I could've fed a family of 12 for the same price at Taco Bell. I think if I moved back to G'ville some day, I'd miss Skeeters a lot more.

Most people don't realize this, but you can still get Skeeter's food.

The owner of Skeeter's died. His son opened up Café Risqué and took the Skeeter's menu with him. If you eat at Café Risqué it's the exact same food. Me and a few friends go there at 5 AM every now and then to eat breakfast. There aren't any strippers at that time of day, just people who are actually there for the food.

Alan's Cubana became Salty Dog. The menu has evolved over the years to where it's completely different. Salty Dog has the best wings in Gainesville.

If you have never eaten at Relish you simply must go there. Top grade never frozen meat that's cooked when you order it. The burgers are the best I've ever had anywhere. It is a Subway type thing where you order your burger and then while it is cooking you go down the line and choose your toppings. They seriously have like 40 different toppings to choose from.

Rowdy Reptiles has seriously good food as well and it's very inexpensive. We're talking $2 quesadillas that are so good they sell tons of them every day. They also have hard to find items like boiled peanuts.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
If everyone who claims to love BB's and is saddened by the closing patronized the place, maybe it wouldn't be closing...

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
If everyone who claims to love BB's and is saddened by the closing patronized the place, maybe it wouldn't be closing...

If the hippies hadn't gone corporate I would have been there several times a week. That place died the moment they opened the new restaurant. The customer base didn't want another Applebee's.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

200w.gif

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
This slow death all began when they moved Burrito Bros. and the Falafel Place off of 13th and Univ. so they could tear down the building and build something new and outstanding. Well it was so outstanding that the damn piece of property sat idle/empty for what about 8 years, while Burrito Bros. trudged along in some out of the way church building. Color me dismayed as I frequented the place quite often in my years as a student b/c almost all of my classes in my later years were in the business area. So long Burrito Bros. Let the morons choke on Chipotle's ChickenShyt!!!!!!!

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I never ate there, but in the early 90's I remember older friends of mine loving the food but complaining about the prices even then.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The owner of Skeeter's died. His son opened up Café Risqué and took the Skeeter's menu with him. If you eat at Café Risqué it's the exact same food. Me and a few friends go there at 5 AM every now and then to eat breakfast. There aren't any strippers at that time of day, just people who are actually there for the food.

That's awesome! But I ain't gettin up at 5AM for breakfast, and I certainly don't want pubes in my food, so I guess my Skeeters eatin days are done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.