Butch Jones joining Saban’s staff as an “intern”

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I concede your point. But what I was really referring to was coaching ability. Seems like super-wealthy failed coaches are very common these days.
hi-res-76865781c13f72ef89712fd48e8995d6_crop_north.jpg

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Alabama reveals salary for intern Butch Jones

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/alabama-reveals-salary-intern-butch-jones/

Now we know what Alabama pays its interns. According to Blake Toppmeyer of USA TODAY, Jones will be paid $35,000 by the Crimson Tide. This information comes following a records request from USA TODAY.

The money Tennessee owes Jones for firing him, over $8 million, will still need to be paid by the school. His buyout at Tennessee will be mitigated from his earnings at Alabama. Tennessee has until early 2021 to pay Jones the full amount it owes him.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Alabama reveals salary for intern Butch Jones

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/alabama-reveals-salary-intern-butch-jones/

Now we know what Alabama pays its interns. According to Blake Toppmeyer of USA TODAY, Jones will be paid $35,000 by the Crimson Tide. This information comes following a records request from USA TODAY.

The money Tennessee owes Jones for firing him, over $8 million, will still need to be paid by the school. His buyout at Tennessee will be mitigated from his earnings at Alabama. Tennessee has until early 2021 to pay Jones the full amount it owes him.

Wow, paywise, talk about going from the penthouse to the outhouse! :lmao2:

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Wow, paywise, talk about going from the penthouse to the outhouse! :lmao2:

You don’t understand..every dollar he makes from Alabama is a dollar less that UT has to pay him, so be having such a small salary, he (and Bama) are actually screwing UT more.

Now McElShytstain didn’t have that offset clause...we pay him REGARDLESS of how much he makes elsewhere. Just brilliant by our crack contracts staff and the best AD in history.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
You don’t understand..every dollar he makes from Alabama is a dollar less that UT has to pay him, so be having such a small salary, he (and Bama) are actually screwing UT more.

Now McElShytstain didn’t have that offset clause...we pay him REGARDLESS of how much he makes elsewhere. Just brilliant by our crack contracts staff and the best AD in history.

Randy Shannon really stuck it to us w/ this. He's getting $240K as the DC for UCF....for 2 years. Then his salary jumps to $1 million. And how the hell is UCF paying $1 million for their DC? They only paid Frost around $1.7 million.

PhD Gator

UF Ph.D. 2011
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Randy Shannon really stuck it to us w/ this. He's getting $240K as the DC for UCF....for 2 years. Then his salary jumps to $1 million. And how the hell is UCF paying $1 million for their DC? They only paid Frost around $1.7 million.
They probably assume he won't be there after 2 years. I can't imagine he won't be looking for a head coaching position, or at least a move up as DC. So they get him cheap for the portion of the contract they pay, but have language that it goes up for the back half. Basically UF subsidizes their DC hire and allows them to get off cheap.

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
They probably assume he won't be there after 2 years. I can't imagine he won't be looking for a head coaching position, or at least a move up as DC. So they get him cheap for the portion of the contract they pay, but have language that it goes up for the back half. Basically UF subsidizes their DC hire and always then to get off cheap.

Well that's exactly what they did. Randy said, "I'm making $900K from UF, so you only have to pay me $240K". (or his agent said that). He's already the DC....and $1 million at UCF is a GREAT salary. Unless he lands a P5 DC job (which most pay less than $1 million) or a head coaching gig, I think he stays put. Honestly, I can't see him getting another HC gig. He just doesn't have "it". He did do an admirable job taking over for that Butter-tooth c*cksucker who ran our program into the ground, but I don't think it's enough to land a real HC job. Maybe FIU or Troy? Lane Kiffen barely makes $1 million at FAU (his first year salary was $900K, which was a pay cut from the OC job at Alabama).

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014

I do understand that. I was just making a joke centered around the whole concept of a mid 40s guy who is an intern making $30k a year. :lmao2:

The reality, though, is Butch gets the last laugh and the joke’s on me...I’ve never been able to finagle multi million dollar annual salaries and $8 million buyouts for doing a shytty job. :embarrassed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.