Butters future suddenly looking brighter

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Since I don't see a better alternative unless he has a scandal he will be here for a fourth and fifty year.
Lol. The AD wouldnt survive the fourth year of this shytfest.

Im not sure he will survive year three.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I see better recruiters and a pretty good class. .....
Yeah, we went from the two worst classes since the seventies to a below average class.

Do your little dance.

Ive heard the great recruiter tag on every cheapazz geographical school coach weve hired. So far none have earned it.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Since I don't see a better alternative unless he has a scandal he will be here for a fourth and fifty year. So lets say he wins the East again, has a better offensive, and looses to Bama by a somewhat closer margin would that satisfy you? I have seen massive progress in areas that many complained about. Facilities improvements among the most visible.

Interesting comment...if there WAS a better alternative would you reconsider?

If he wins another weak ass east? Yes, he'll get a fourth year. Massive progress? Where? You and others are in for real eye opener when the defense isn;t around to mask a lot of issues. Just like an amazing QB...an ELITE defense will mask a lot of problems. Maybe we finally get that QB. Maybe one of our QBs finally hears the whispering. IDK.

Saban has done a real number on this conference.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I have a question. Have we ever been successful without a damn good QB? Or rephrase that another way has any Florida coach been successful without a great QB? I'll answer.
Galen Hall '84-'85 Kerwin Bell
Spurrier had Shane Mathews, Danny Wuerffel and Rex Grossman.
Meyer had Leak and Tebow.

In fact other than '93 (Terry Dean) we have never made it to a championship game, not to mention win it, without an All American or POY or Heisman quality QB.

It ALL comes down to the QB position. If DT's, defenses and recruiting rankings were all that mattered there would be statues of Zook and Muschump outside the stadium.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I love how pumpthink is that Kirby Smart was terrible last bc he lost 5 games, Bandboy is a deadman walking with 4 losses, and Butters is slaying it bc he only lost 4 (blowouts).

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Interesting comment...if there WAS a better alternative would you reconsider?

If he wins another weak ass east? Yes, he'll get a fourth year. Massive progress? Where? You and others are in for real eye opener when the defense isn;t around to mask a lot of issues. Just like an amazing QB...an ELITE defense will mask a lot of problems. Maybe we finally get that QB. Maybe one of our QBs finally hears the whispering. IDK.

Saban has done a real number on this conference.

Yes if there was clearly a better alternative I would seriously consider it if he worked for me.

We now have a new indoor practice facility, we have improved living accommodations, and plans for more.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Yes if there was clearly a better alternative I would seriously consider it if he worked for me.

We now have a new indoor practice facility, we have improved living accommodations, and plans for more.

I appreciate your honesty. I don't know what the future holds. Mac and Co need a huge year.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
While I agree the negative outlook from some people can be extreme, I have to roll my eyes a bit at the extreme optimism of others. Take recruiting, for instance. UF should have a top 7 class, year in, year out, no matter who is coaching. For a while it appeared Mac was going to deliver a class ranked in the 20's, which would have been an unprecedented disaster. Instead, he pulled off some late signings and we ended up 10th. People cheered. But why? 10th isn't a good recruiting class at Florida, it only looked good because it was expected to be infinitely worse. I'm glad our class wasn't a disaster, but the fact is we fell farther behind to both UGA and FSU, who had superior classes. UGA's class should be particularly concerning.

As far as what happens on the field, there is no reason for me to get my hopes up in the least after what we've seen so far from Mac. Hell, we've still got the same crappy OC. I'm in the boat that I won't believe a damn thing until I see it. The offense last year was a dumpster fire. If Frask doesn't work out, we are going to have the same 100+ offense AGAIN. There's no reason to think otherwise.

Mac has been average, at best, across the board. Personally, I don't see him as a long term answer but I'm hoping to be proven wrong. Unless one of the redshirt freshman light it up, we are going to have one seriously frustrating year.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I appreciate your honesty. I don't know what the future holds. Mac and Co need a huge year.

Or improvement without decline in say defense. If he finds a good QB and a decent oline that would be good. I hear people suggest a wide variety of potential HBC's most of which won't be coming here.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Yeah, I know. I dont even recognize our program. Are we really now a program that celebrates 8-4 seasons?

I don't expect to celebrate that type of record, but it depends on how you played and who beat you. If you play well there won't be four losses.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I didn't realize he wasn't helping recruit. Wow. Hopefully he's the real deal. I will say, hes one qb that we recruited that definitely looks the part.
Yep, not sure about this cycle, but during his cycle, he said no. Pretty odd as that is the time he'd have the most leadership until they get the keys to the offense.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yep, not sure about this cycle, but during his cycle, he said no. Pretty odd as that is the time he'd have the most leadership until they get the keys to the offense.
Ok, I do remember that. I never put too much stock into it.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I have a question. Have we ever been successful without a damn good QB? Or rephrase that another way has any Florida coach been successful without a great QB? I'll answer.

In fact other than '93 (Terry Dean) we have never made it to a championship game, not to mention win it, without an All American or POY or Heisman quality QB.

It ALL comes down to the QB position. If DT's, defenses and recruiting rankings were all that mattered there would be statues of Zook and Muschump outside the stadium.
It was funny during one of the broadcasts with Grossman having a great year. They put up a graphic that showed the good SOS offenses and the below average for SOS. They kept saying how it takes a good QB, it's not the system. The down years were Doug Johnson, and we all laughed. He was our QB for my undergrad and so many of the students hated DJ. It's a shame we didn't have a better recruit instead of Mr. throw a swing pass to your ankles.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ok, I do remember that. I never put too much stock into it.
To me it's just an intangible thing. Tebow could practically will a victory. Wuerffel was tough as nails. Grossman had moxie by the truckload. What does Franks have?...f'ing duckface.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
We are the Florida Gators. We won't be shyte until we get our swagger back, until people are afraid to come to the Swamp and play the Gators like they were under Spurrier. 8-4 each year with blowouts to fsu annually is not going to keep Mac in a paycheck. This is reality. If Mac can bring it to the table, bring it now. All great coaches show their greatness this far in.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Spurrier didnt have all top notch QBs despite their numbers and we still had good seasons usually. You have to coach the average ability ones up. There is simply no excuse for offenses in the 100s at UF imo. At least with Zook we could compete with and beat anybody due to the talent level unlike recently. Mac doesnt get upset like Zook did but with all the players on defense heading to the NFL that will be tougher to maintain.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb