Butters future suddenly looking brighter

KronoGator

Aug 28, 2014
It was funny during one of the broadcasts with Grossman having a great year. They put up a graphic that showed the good SOS offenses and the below average for SOS. They kept saying how it takes a good QB, it's not the system. The down years were Doug Johnson, and we all laughed. He was our QB for my undergrad and so many of the students hated DJ. It's a shame we didn't have a better recruit instead of Mr. throw a swing pass to your ankles.
Doug Johnson > Any QB on the roster right now.

Anyone think a Nuss lead offense will have a QB throw for 7000 yards and 62 TD's? No chance.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Doug Johnson > Any QB on the roster right now.

Anyone think a Nuss lead offense will have a QB throw for 7000 yards and 62 TD's? No chance.
This shows how pathetic our QB situation is. Doug was probably the worst QB under Spurrier.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
yes but we now have an up an comer as an O-line coach guys, hahahah, only looking up from here
The OLine has been improving. It's not a group that goes from shyt to diamonds overnight. Whether he is good or not, they should improve. If they become great, them give the coach his due. If they regress give him the blame.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Did anyone see any major improvement from year one to year two on the field?

I thought both years were eerily similar across the board. That uber talented defense is gone. I am seeing some early excuses being thrown out already. If he goes 9-4/8-5 - is that progress? Do we need to see a fourth year just to be sure he's not it?
Lol. The Energizer Bunny of negators. Never stops.

GatorAuthor

Bringing Prestige Worldwide
Feb 24, 2016
While I agree the negative outlook from some people can be extreme, I have to roll my eyes a bit at the extreme optimism of others. Take recruiting, for instance. UF should have a top 7 class, year in, year out, no matter who is coaching. For a while it appeared Mac was going to deliver a class ranked in the 20's, which would have been an unprecedented disaster. Instead, he pulled off some late signings and we ended up 10th. People cheered. But why? 10th isn't a good recruiting class at Florida, it only looked good because it was expected to be infinitely worse. I'm glad our class wasn't a disaster, but the fact is we fell farther behind to both UGA and FSU, who had superior classes. UGA's class should be particularly concerning.

As far as what happens on the field, there is no reason for me to get my hopes up in the least after what we've seen so far from Mac. Hell, we've still got the same crappy OC. I'm in the boat that I won't believe a damn thing until I see it. The offense last year was a dumpster fire. If Frask doesn't work out, we are going to have the same 100+ offense AGAIN. There's no reason to think otherwise.

Mac has been average, at best, across the board. Personally, I don't see him as a long term answer but I'm hoping to be proven wrong. Unless one of the redshirt freshman light it up, we are going to have one seriously frustrating year.
Sorry, Ox, but how in the hell does anyone think we should be Top 7 after WM posted seasons of 4-8 then 7-5? Mac took on a turd sandwich and we're improving every year. Seriously, has a team that went 4-8 then 7-5, and then fired its coach ever recruited a Top 7 class in the next year or two? That's a pretty extreme position, my friend.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We know, we know. Poor ole Butters dont move quickly and it isnt going to change soon.

Hell, even after 4-8, Chimp and Co. were better recruiters.

Butters' recruiting is about Butters and his terrible staff, period. Below average recruiters, terrible offense, it's hard to think of anything the do well actually. There is literally no strength to this staff apparently beyond them being about as good as we could get without hiring someone that another team might want and run up the cost.

We know your mantra, Zach. No one can recruit for the first four years. Except all the other coaches.

Last edited:

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
We know, we know. Poor ole Butters dont move quickly and it isnt going to change soon.

Hell, even after 4-8, Chimp and Co. were better recruiters.

Butters' recruiting is about Butters and his terrible staff, period. Below average recruiters, terrible offense, it's hard to think of anything the do well actually. There is literally no strength to this staff apparently beyond them being about as good as we could get without hiring someone that another team might want and run up the cost.
You'll eat those words when Franks wins the heisman

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Sorry, Ox, but how in the hell does anyone think we should be Top 7 after WM posted seasons of 4-8 then 7-5? Mac took on a turd sandwich and we're improving every year. Seriously, has a team that went 4-8 then 7-5, and then fired its coach ever recruited a Top 7 class in the next year or two? That's a pretty extreme position, my friend.

According to Rivals, Will Muschamp's last 3 recruiting classes at UF were ranked 3, 4, and 8. Yes those rankings are misleading because he recruited an unbalanced team; however, there is no doubt he brought in more 4 and 5 star talent than Mac. Our top 10 defenses the last two years are evident of that. UGA hasn't done anything of significance in years, yet Kirby got the #3 class in his second year.

A top 7 class is not unreasonable at all. If Muschamp and Kirby can do it by their second year, Mac should've been able to as well. But no. Now we have to wait until year 4 to see if it will happen, while our two biggest rivals pulled in more top talent than us. If Mac is the answer and will actually be a championship winning coach, then he is taking a long time to get there.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Lol. The Energizer Bunny of negators. Never stops.
This has been a pretty productive thread without a lot of insults. Weird it was you that decided to cross the line. Like I said, some of you can't help yourselves.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
Getting blown out by Bama and FSU in back to back years is bad. The SEC East is the worst its ever been. 2-8 vs ranked teams. 4-5-6 losses again with another FSU loss and the noise is going to be very very loud. Year THREE is his and not on anybody else. It sounds like some of you think he overachieved with an NFL stacked defense. LOL. Next year will be more of a true representation of MAC's coaching abilities. Can we all agree on that? I feel that some folks feel that there will be a significant step back and this is all pre-emptive. Why would anyone be calling for a fourth year unless they think that next year isn't going to be all that great.

If he has a bad year then it is academic at that point. The players are his and there won't be any excuses. Year four will be like year three. I truly believe that.

I pretty much agree with most of this.

However, I think you are getting the wrong vibe about next year. I don't think Mac gets fired in year 4 either unless things come completely unglued. None of what I posted is pre-emptive.

I am pretty optimistic about this coming season. If we can field a QB that can deliver the ball then I think this offense takes a huge leap forward. We have a lot of talent at the skill positions and what should be a much improved OL. The defense will be very young at LB and at least one CB position. The young LBs need to play with a little more discipline and stay in their gaps, but they have shown a lot of promise. I think we will field a good defense and a much improved offense.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This has been a pretty productive thread without a lot of insults. Weird it was you that decided to cross the line.
STFU, moron.

Threads are boring without some conflict and tons of sarcasm.

Besides, when I think of Energizer Bunny, I think of Bill Clinton.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
STFU, moron.

Threads are boring without some conflict and tons of sarcasm.

Besides, when I think of Energizer Bunny, I think of Bill Clinton.

d2Ze6hn900LNaRGw.gif

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I just can't seem to wrap my head around this thing. Are we a complete dumpster fire or are we doing really well and exceeding sensible expectations?

Seems anytime things aren't looking good the response is don't jump to conclusions, Mac's got this, we are good, headed in the right direction, he's doing really well, just give it time, trust the coaches, lets let things play out, etc. But every time something bad or really underwhelming ends up happening the response is that we shouldn't expect much from a staff who has to deal with a disaster, expectations are too high, what great coaches would want to come to a place that is in bad shape, macs doing the best he can with a bad hand, etc.

So are we a dumpster fire or are we doing well? Can't have it both ways.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
I just can't seem to wrap my head around this thing. Are we a complete dumpster fire or are we doing really well and exceeding sensible expectations?

Seems anytime things aren't looking good the response is don't jump to conclusions, Mac's got this, we are good, headed in the right direction, he's doing really well, just give it time, trust the coaches, lets let things play out, etc. But every time something bad or really underwhelming ends up happening the response is that we shouldn't expect much from a staff who has to deal with a disaster, expectations are too high, what great coaches would want to come to a place that is in bad shape, macs doing the best he can with a bad hand, etc.

So are we a dumpster fire or are we doing well? Can't have it both ways.

I don't think anyone is trying to have it both ways.

I think this is how most of us non-negators feel.

We were a raging dumpster fire. Mac put out the fire and has us heading the right direction, but we aren't quite there yet. We can win the games we are supposed to win and a few that we aren't. However, we aren't quite back to the point that we can beat the cream of the crop. Mac is putting the pieces in place that will get us there. Many of us think we are a QB away. Whether that QB is currently on the roster remains to be seen.

That doesn't mean we think losing is OK. That also doesn't mean we think being blown out is acceptable. Yes, we know recruiting needs to improve.

However, some of us see an improving OL with more talent on the way, talented skill position players with WR's running open every game and a defense that may take a small step back, but won't fall off a cliff.

Winning without good QB play is the exception. Mac has been that exception. It seems to me that when he does get a QB the whole thing will take off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.