By popular demand: Gators Breakdown EP 094 - Potential on Offense. Opponent Chat: Kentucky

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yep. Will see both Franks and Zaire. But Mac values throwing to the right guy over completing the pass so for that reason Franks starts.
That seems azzbackwards.

Franks is the guy with the higher upside but he a bit of a gunslinger and far more likely to throw INTs.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I'm still on 30 mins in. Still haven't heard it.

Did hear the part that they think he might be Appleby-ish but they are hoping he adds 800-900 yards rushing and hope that gets us over the top.

Talk of the defense hemorrhaging talent, likely to need to score 35 points a game.

Like I said, really nothing new there that we haven't already discussed.

Edit: yes, rumors that Zaire struggled with playbook at ND. LSU game, mostly one read. Texas game more reads, he looked good.

Complete unknown, Franks only looked good for a few snaps vs 3 walkons on defense.

No one thinks that Butters would pick a freshman.

Zaire is probably a journeyman stop gap but he has shown flashes of being capable of being the guy.

Stampini tweeted he thought Zaire looked bad at Elite 11.

You sure about that? I looked and didn't see anything of the sort

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Man it's on the podcast, I THINK, probably at least 40 mins in. Happy hunting. I'm not going back.

Please?

Lol I'll listen tomorrow. I did look on twitter and didn't see Stampini say anything like that.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe it wasnt a tweet but theg definitely said Stampini multiple times.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Do you have a link about him at the elite 11 saying he looked bad?

You have to watch the video. They said Luke told them Zaire looked bad. I don't recall them saying anything about a tweet.

That seems azzbackwards.

Franks is the guy with the higher upside but he a bit of a gunslinger and far more likely to throw INTs.

I should rephrase that. Mac values throwing in the general direction of the right guy. I don't think Mac's a fan of improv based on how he handled Grier. IMHO I don't think that's a good thing.
Re: Franks being a gunslinger. Yeah in HS because he didn't have a playbook. But now Mac has trained him like a housebroken dog. Despite what Booger said I have to believe that after two years Franks has the playbook mastered more than Zaire will with three months. And I think Mac puts more value in that. Franks may not complete the pass but it will be the right target. However Mac's not a fan of INTs either. So he goes with Franks first with some Zaire on the side. If Franks Driskels we get more, maybe all, Zaire.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, it will be a typical Nusschump offense.
Really. This old idea of "packages" for different less than stellar players that can't start rarely works. It sounds like we are in the same deep doo doo as last year, where we ended up playing that loser Appleby and now Mac goes out and woos another cull, instead of actually developing a QB. It's becoming ludricrous, I mean more than ludicrous.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
You mean Zaire completes the pass to the wrong guy? as in the open man regardless of the colored jersey, like Doug Johnson was famous for. The QB situation and Mac's apparent lack of QB development skills almost makes me long for DJ, who ended up sharing time with Noah Brendise. This situaltion resembles a good, old fashion Cluster..... as my Papa used to say, "the same old seven and six."

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You left out the part were Zaire had trouble with the playbook at ND and looked bad at the elite 11. But hey I'm sure with three weeks practice he'll win the job.

He was at the elite 11 camp as a friggin counselor....

"
hen Nelson of Bleacher Report, the latest group of counselors includes Will Grier (West Virginia), Josh Rosen (UCLA) and Malik Zaire (currently in the process of transferring from Notre Dame). Fields, a 5-star talent, is considered a strong contender for Elite 11 MVP."

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You mean Zaire completes the pass to the wrong guy? as in the open man regardless of the colored jersey, like Doug Johnson was famous for. The QB situation and Mac's apparent lack of QB development skills almost makes me long for DJ, who ended up sharing time with Noah Brendise. This situaltion resembles a good, old fashion Cluster..... as my Papa used to say, "the same old seven and six."
They commented on this also. They said the one thing Zaire hasnt done, even when struggling some games, is turn the ball over. The stats bear that out.

Some people keep saying Zaire is Treon 2.0, but I think Driskel is the better comparison. They arent particularly effective passers, tend to run at first pressure, but Zaire doesnt have that tendency for turnovers that Driskel did.

It is an odd fit for the MacNusselchump type offense.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He was at the elite 11 camp as a friggin counselor....

"
hen Nelson of Bleacher Report, the latest group of counselors includes Will Grier (West Virginia), Josh Rosen (UCLA) and Malik Zaire (currently in the process of transferring from Notre Dame). Fields, a 5-star talent, is considered a strong contender for Elite 11 MVP."
Oh shyt. I hope Fields isnt getting nutritional and pharmaceutical advise from Grier.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Who knows. Without a decent oline and a running game it will be difficult to have a functional offense.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Who knows. Without a decent oline and a running game it will be difficult to have a functional offense.
468dcbdfe9abbe5f85aafd79b0cb13be.png

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We recruit QBs that after 2 years of clip board holding aren't ready to compete... beautiful.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
For 2017, I think Franks starts game 1 and "Real-Game" CFB adrenaline plus his athletic superiority will produce sustained drives for enough scores TDs, FGs. Our RB platoon will exhaust UM's defense. IMHO, Toney will be that game's surprise drive mover.

Franks' QB flaws will be a few "new-guy" bumbles, but he'll get some "Hot QB Headlines" right away.
This cross-pollination by weeds "mossy menace" have formed a GatChat mat blocking all positive views.
This has such prevalent longevity = In early Spring Practice, posters were going nuts 'cause we couldn't get any practice information.

Then there was a breakthrough: The WRs were saying, "Boy, Franks is really "firing it" in there."
"Mossy Menace" posted responses: "Yeah rubbish, against air (i.e. no DB coverage).
More logical & not "rainbow thinking" = WRs were meaning Franks' throws get there fast and he throws a tight spiral since that smooth spin is what allows air-speed. Not one post interpreted it that most logical way 'cause that would have been a positive take.
RX-DK-LG20804_moss-poor-soil_s4x3.jpg.rend.hgtvcom.966.725.jpeg

Mossy Menace
Moss indicates poor conditions, especially in acidic soil. Use moss killer in spring or fall, but it is likely to return if the underlying cause is unresolved.... might change acidic to acerbic soil & change underlying to over-lying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.