By popular demand: Gators Breakdown EP 094 - Potential on Offense. Opponent Chat: Kentucky

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
How is it that other coaches can get 2ed year guys to take the reins but Butters can't? Saban, Reich, Jimbo, Urban all have had good success with 2ed year guys but Mac still can't get his guys ready? I thought he was suppose to be adept at developing qb's, but that ability has yet to become apparent in Gainesville.
The most obvious answer is that those other guys land talented QBs. Franks is that second QB you land with an Eason and hope they push each other, but you know Franks needs A LOT of work.

There rest of our QB roster is trash. We'd never consider taking any of those guys under SOS or CUM. You know it's true, whether or not you admit it.

The second most obvious answer is that he isn't close to being adept at developing QBs. There is really nothing on his resume that suggests it.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Wouldn't that be on Mac? He's had plenty enough time to get these kids ready to at least compete.
You can't mold sh*t into gold...and it's pretty clear that Frank's is $hit at the moment. Hopefully mac bringing in Zaire in will light a fire under his ass and he gets his head into the playbook instead of trying to stick his "little head"into everything on campus. We'll see what happens though!

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
You can't mold sh*t into gold...and it's pretty clear that Frank's is $hit at the moment. Hopefully mac bringing in Zaire in will light a fire under his ass and he gets his head into the playbook instead of trying to stick his "little head"into everything on campus. We'll see what happens though!
So are you saying he's a bad evaluator because he recruited both Franks and Trask? And now he's had time with both and neither are ready. So either he can't evaluate or he can't coach which one is It?

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Cliff notes, ole buddy?

Lot of interesting stuff in there, but I'll summarize it into, yes, we have a pretty good chance and should be excited about it. They think he's a program changer that could draw a lot of other great recruits.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Feel free to ambush me, but isn't this QB "known" more for running, albeit with more control/authority and better ball security? I know we're desperate, but I have to tell you, I've reached my lifetime quota with the "dual" threat QB "full-time" game. I'm drooling for the gunslinger stretching the field, anticipating breaks and feeding the backs... guess I'm just an outdated :eek:ldman:

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
So are you saying he's a bad evaluator because he recruited both Franks and Trask? And now he's had time with both and neither are ready. So either he can't evaluate or he can't coach which one is It?
I think mac can coach...however his OC/QB coach is ass! Nuss is the problem with the struggles at that position both on the field and in recruiting. If he misses on fields and if the offense isn't top 50...he needs to be canned!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So either he can't evaluate or he can't coach which one is It?
YES.

Actually, he tried to land Eason, Stidham and several others. Its not that he doesnt KNOW there are much better QBs, it is that he cant LAND any decent QBs (or top talent at any position, really).

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
YES.

Actually, he tried to land Eason, Stidham and several others. Its not that he doesnt KNOW there are much better QBs, it is that he cant LAND any decent QBs (or top talent at any position, really).

Just for the record, Eason was never coming to Florida. I agree he is having trouble landing QBs though....

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
I think mac can coach...however his OC/QB coach is ass! Nuss is the problem with the struggles at that position both on the field and in recruiting. If he misses on fields and if the offense isn't top 50...he needs to be canned!
So you don't think he's coaching the Qb's at all? I completely agree with you on Nuss but I have a hard time believing he hasn't spent a ton of time with Franks and Trask

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
So you don't think he's coaching the Qb's at all? I completely agree with you on Nuss but I have a hard time believing he hasn't spent a ton of time with Franks and Trask

But will it translate to the field....

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Here's a new Gridiron Now write up on the QB situation:

http://gridironnow.com/who-does-florida-go-with-quarterback-this-season/

So, who do Jim McElwain and Doug Nussmeier go with this season for the Gators?

MALIK ZAIRE
Why he’ll win it
Zaire has the best combination of talent and experience among the trio. He started three games at Notre Dame (LSU, Texas and Virginia), including two at the beginning of the 2015 season before a fractured ankle led to eventual second-round pick DeShone Kizer taking over.

Zaire is 58-of-98 in his career, for 816 yards, six touchdowns and no interceptions. He brings a significant boost to the rushing attack, with 324 yards and two TDs the ground.

Zaire does have to learn Florida offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier’s scheme, but he worked in a quasi-pro-style system for four years at Notre Dame. He also is a Notre Dame graduate who was considering Harvard, so he should be able to process information at a fast pace.

Zaire’s film shows a consistent toughness, which will endear him to his new teammates. He is a physical runner who looks like a running back going between the tackles with his 225-pound frame. Zaire will be an ideal running option on short-yardage and goal-line situations. He also threw a block against LSU to spring his running back for a touchdown, which speaks to his grit and competitiveness.

Why he won’t

It’s June 8 and Zaire may not have even stepped foot in UF’s weight room, let alone know the first thing about how UF practices.

Zaire has seven weeks to do as much as he can to learn UF’s playbook before the start of fall practice. If he doesn’t have a firm grasp by the time the Gators start drills, he has no chance.

Zaire’s height will be an issue as well. Notre Dame listed him at 6 feet 0, but he looks smaller than that standing in the pocket. Nussmeier might have to be willing to roll Zaire out frequently to give him a clearer line of sight downfield.

And Zaire can be effective because of his ability to run. He needs eight to 10 designed runs a game. Is McElwain comfortable asking his starter to do that?

There are 86 days until the Michigan game. Zaire has to be perfect on every one. McElwain isn’t starting a quarterback against the Wolverines that he doesn’t trust.

Chance he wins the job: 45 percent.

FELEIPE FRANKS
Why he’ll win it
It’s in McElwain’s best interest for Franks to win the job because McElwain needs to show he can develop a quarterback and he hand-picked Franks on the recruiting trail.

Franks has been on campus for 18 months and gone through two spring practices. He should be ready to play at a competent-enough level to start, with the good outweighing the bad that any new quarterback will go through. That should give Franks the edge if the race is close.

Franks (6-6, 219) has ideal size to succeed from the pocket, but also has the athleticism to scramble for nice gains.

Why he won’t

Franks hasn’t thrown a pass in college. He has two spring games and that’s it.

He was 8-of-14 for 119 yards with a touchdown and no picks in UF’s spring game on April 7. There were encouraging moments, but McElwain stacked the deck in his favor. Franks led the starting offense against an all-reserves defense, who at times had walk-ons covering playmakers such as receiver Antonio Callaway. It won’t be that easy September 2.

Chance he wins the job: 40 percent.

LUKE DEL RIO
Why he’ll win it

Jim McElwain trusts Del Rio. That can’t be discounted.

Del Rio started six games for the Gators last season, looking solid until suffering a knee injury in the third game. He missed two contests, then was awful when he returned for a three-game stretch before going down for the year with a shoulder injury.

McElwain complimented Del Rio’s toughness this offseason, perhaps excusing the poor play when he returned.

Del Rio has the most playing experience of any of the three and has been with this staff the longest, transferring to UF in 2015.

UF should have a quality running game, a stout defense and excellent special teams. McElwain could view Del Rio as the best option because he might be the least likely of the three to truly blow a game.

Why he won’t

Del Rio’s production in those six starts was underwhelming. He was 114-of-201 (56.7 percent) for 1,358 yards with eight touchdowns and eight picks.
Missing spring practice while recovering from shoulder surgery didn’t help, either.

He also doesn’t have the athleticism that Franks and Zaire possess. Del Rio’s rushing total was minus-43 yards last season.

At a program such as Florida, Del Rio’s skill set translates more to a trusted backup than quality starter.

Chance he wins the job: 15 percent.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
"Del Rio has the most playing experience of any of the three and has been with this staff the longest, transferring to UF in 2015.

UF should have a quality running game, a stout defense and excellent special teams. McElwain could view Del Rio as the best option because he might be the least likely of the three to truly blow a game."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here we go...:lol:

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Zaire’s height will be an issue as well. Notre Dame listed him at 6 feet 0, but he looks smaller than that standing in the pocket. Nussmeier might have to be willing to roll Zaire out frequently to give him a clearer line of sight downfield.

Can you say Treon?

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Here's a new Gridiron Now write up on the QB situation:

http://gridironnow.com/who-does-florida-go-with-quarterback-this-season/

So, who do Jim McElwain and Doug Nussmeier go with this season for the Gators?

MALIK ZAIRE
Why he’ll win it
Zaire has the best combination of talent and experience among the trio. He started three games at Notre Dame (LSU, Texas and Virginia), including two at the beginning of the 2015 season before a fractured ankle led to eventual second-round pick DeShone Kizer taking over.

Zaire is 58-of-98 in his career, for 816 yards, six touchdowns and no interceptions. He brings a significant boost to the rushing attack, with 324 yards and two TDs the ground.

Zaire does have to learn Florida offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier’s scheme, but he worked in a quasi-pro-style system for four years at Notre Dame. He also is a Notre Dame graduate who was considering Harvard, so he should be able to process information at a fast pace.

Zaire’s film shows a consistent toughness, which will endear him to his new teammates. He is a physical runner who looks like a running back going between the tackles with his 225-pound frame. Zaire will be an ideal running option on short-yardage and goal-line situations. He also threw a block against LSU to spring his running back for a touchdown, which speaks to his grit and competitiveness.

Why he won’t

It’s June 8 and Zaire may not have even stepped foot in UF’s weight room, let alone know the first thing about how UF practices.

Zaire has seven weeks to do as much as he can to learn UF’s playbook before the start of fall practice. If he doesn’t have a firm grasp by the time the Gators start drills, he has no chance.

And Zaire can be effective because of his ability to run. He needs eight to 10 designed runs a game. Is McElwain comfortable asking his starter to do that?

There are 86 days until the Michigan game. Zaire has to be perfect on every one. McElwain isn’t starting a quarterback against the Wolverines that he doesn’t trust.

Chance he wins the job: 45 percent.

FELEIPE FRANKS
Why he’ll win it
It’s in McElwain’s best interest for Franks to win the job because McElwain needs to show he can develop a quarterback and he hand-picked Franks on the recruiting trail.

Franks has been on campus for 18 months and gone through two spring practices. He should be ready to play at a competent-enough level to start, with the good outweighing the bad that any new quarterback will go through. That should give Franks the edge if the race is close.

Franks (6-6, 219) has ideal size to succeed from the pocket, but also has the athleticism to scramble for nice gains.

Why he won’t

Franks hasn’t thrown a pass in college. He has two spring games and that’s it.

He was 8-of-14 for 119 yards with a touchdown and no picks in UF’s spring game on April 7. There were encouraging moments, but McElwain stacked the deck in his favor. Franks led the starting offense against an all-reserves defense, who at times had walk-ons covering playmakers such as receiver Antonio Callaway. It won’t be that easy September 2.

Chance he wins the job: 40 percent.

LUKE DEL RIO
Why he’ll win it

Jim McElwain trusts Del Rio. That can’t be discounted.

Del Rio started six games for the Gators last season, looking solid until suffering a knee injury in the third game. He missed two contests, then was awful when he returned for a three-game stretch before going down for the year with a shoulder injury.

McElwain complimented Del Rio’s toughness this offseason, perhaps excusing the poor play when he returned.

Del Rio has the most playing experience of any of the three and has been with this staff the longest, transferring to UF in 2015.

UF should have a quality running game, a stout defense and excellent special teams. McElwain could view Del Rio as the best option because he might be the least likely of the three to truly blow a game.

Why he won’t

Del Rio’s production in those six starts was underwhelming. He was 114-of-201 (56.7 percent) for 1,358 yards with eight touchdowns and eight picks.
Missing spring practice while recovering from shoulder surgery didn’t help, either.

He also doesn’t have the athleticism that Franks and Zaire possess. Del Rio’s rushing total was minus-43 yards last season.

At a program such as Florida, Del Rio’s skill set translates more to a trusted backup than quality starter.

Chance he wins the job: 15 percent.

I accept that assessment. Except that I'm betting that Zaire can't pick up the Nuss offense fast enough for Meatchicken. Unless he is that smart. Plus the injury issue. Zaire has already busted an ankle do we really want him full time. Pray Franks starts and Zaire comes in situationally.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I accept that assessment. Except that I'm betting that Zaire can't pick up the Nuss offense fast enough for Meatchicken. Unless he is that smart. Plus the injury issue. Zaire has already busted an ankle do we really want him full time. Pray Franks starts and Zaire comes in situationally.

Pretty depressing QB description.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I'm not worried about Zaire picking up the playbook. He's not a clueless freshmen, and he is intelligent. When NFL players get traded they sometimes have far less time to learn their new playbook than Zaire has. It can be done. Chances are he's been studying the playbook for days now already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb