Caleb Brantley charged with Battery/Video released

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
The NFL wouldn't be at fault, he would have to sue the 32 individual companies that make up the NFL. Then prove that he wasn't at fault for his own drop in the draft.
You are most likely correct about suing each team. However they follow rules set by the NFL, and Goodell has been pretty clear abusing women won't be tolerated. I would imagine Brantley could go after all entities involved.

I'm surprised that Ray Rice has never brought a suit after he was blackballed from the league, while they continue to employ known abusers to this day.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You are most likely correct about suing each team. However they follow rules set by the NFL, and Goodell has been pretty clear abusing women won't be tolerated. I would imagine Brantley could go after all entities involved.

I'm surprised that Ray Rice has never brought a suit after he was blackballed from the league, while they continue to employ known abusers to this day.

Ray Rice did and won, the only problem is he was cut the following offseason. The issue for Brantley it wouldn't be rule based, the league isn't stopping him from shopping his skills because he isn't currently under NFL suspension. If he gets into the league and is suspended, then I would be interested to see how that takes place. Especially now with the independent arbritrator in place.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Ray Rice did and won, the only problem is he was cut the following offseason. The issue for Brantley it wouldn't be rule based, the league isn't stopping him from shopping his skills because he isn't currently under NFL suspension. If he gets into the league and is suspended, then I would be interested to see how that takes place. Especially now with the independent arbritrator in place.
It will be interesting to see how it plays out. By all accounts Mixon is a late 1st round, early 2nd round pick. If Brantley's grade had him at X round and then he goes undrafted after this incident there is clearly a double standard that the NFL teams will have to explain.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Didn't they rule you can't suspend a player for something that happened prior to him being signed or at least prior to him being actually drafted? I thought the NFL tried something similar and it got shot down.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Didn't they rule you can't suspend a player for something that happened prior to him being signed or at least prior to him being actually drafted? I thought the NFL tried something similar and it got shot down.

They sign into the NFLPA during the combine... which is why the guys who test positive for drugs during the Combine already have their first strike.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
They sign into the NFLPA during the combine... which is why the guys who test positive for drugs during the Combine already have their first strike.

Do they actually get suspended 4 games or so for the hot test like an active player does once they make a team? Also how does an arrest count towards that agreement? Hard to picture the NFLPA willingly letting potential players sign something that might get them suspended for something before they are even drafted?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Do they actually get suspended 4 games or so for the hot test like an active player does once they make a team? Also how does an arrest count towards that agreement? Hard to picture the NFLPA willingly letting potential players sign something that might get them suspended for something before they are even drafted?

For the NFLPA it's money, they sign in to be part of the players association. For the player if it is recreation it's the first pop, the second is where you get the 4 games. I do not know how an arrest works, and we won't until he signs with a team.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
For the NFLPA it's money, they sign in to be part of the players association. For the player if it is recreation it's the first pop, the second is where you get the 4 games. I do not know how an arrest works, and we won't until he signs with a team.

Thanks - I think they tried to suspend for a pre draft arrest one time and it got shot down but I am not sure if they started some new rule with the NFLPA. I thought an NFL player got 4 games for a 1st steroid positive test but pre-draft players got nailed for it and received no suspension after they were signed.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks - I think they tried to suspend for a pre draft arrest one time and it got shot down but I am not sure if they started some new rule with the NFLPA. I thought an NFL player got 4 games for a 1st steroid positive test but pre-draft players got nailed for it and received no suspension after they were signed.

If it was a PED they would have gotten 4 games, but I don't remember a player getting popped for PEDs with the current CBA. A pre Draft, but post Combine (if the player was invited to the combine, which Brantley was) is where I'm talking about. All suspension only start once they are signed with a team, so that's where it would get interesting.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I guess this is why I care less and less about them when they are gone. I used to care alot about our former players but this stuff happens all the time.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I see where PJ Williams got arrested for DUI in April 2015 right before the draft and he had already participated in the combine stuff and the NFL put out a statement to the press that draft-eligible players aren't subject to DUI suspensions.

I also see where others got arrested for domestic violence a little before the draft and none of the articles say they can be suspended by the NFL for it after they are drafted and just say they may drop a lot in the draft if teams don't want to take a chance on them.

Last edited:

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If it was a PED they would have gotten 4 games, but I don't remember a player getting popped for PEDs with the current CBA. A pre Draft, but post Combine (if the player was invited to the combine, which Brantley was) is where I'm talking about. All suspension only start once they are signed with a team, so that's where it would get interesting.
Maybe the NFLPA should establish a rule, for these exact instances like Brantley's in, that this is strike one but no suspension since he's not on a team and it will allow him to still be drafted appropriately. When it happens again, he goes to the punishment set forth for stike 2, such as a 6 game suspension or whatever.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I see where PJ Williams got arrested for DUI in April 2015 right before the draft and he had already participated in the combine stuff and the NFL put out a statement to the press that draft-eligible players aren't subject to DUI suspensions.

I also see where others got arrested for domestic violence a little before the draft and none of the articles say they can be suspended by the NFL for it after they are drafted and just say they may drop a lot in the draft if teams don't want to take a chance on them.

DUI i believe is considered recreation drug use so no suspension, But would be a first strike (could be wrong through). As far as the domestic violence, remember that policy is only a few years old. I do not know the timeline of the articles you found.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe the NFLPA should establish a rule, for these exact instances like Brantley's in, that this is strike one but no suspension since he's not on a team and it will allow him to still be drafted appropriately. When it happens again, he goes to the punishment set forth for stike 2, such as a 6 game suspension or whatever.

Well.... If he really did do it... If he actually punched a female in the face, knocked her tooth out and left her unconscious from the assault... How about NOT draft the asshat!!!

I can't think of a single job I've ever applied for, that if I had just been charged for punching a woman in the face, that I would have been offered the job.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Well.... If he really did do it... If he actually punched a female in the face, knocked her tooth out and left her unconscious from the assault... How about NOT draft the asshat!!!

I can't think of a single job I've ever applied for, that if I had just been charged for punching a woman in the face, that I would have been offered the job.
I'm right there with you, but it's being ruled a misdemeanor. I can't think of a single job I've ever applied for that asked if I've ever been convicted of a misdemeanor. They ask about felonies.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
DUI i believe is considered recreation drug use so no suspension, But would be a first strike (could be wrong through). As far as the domestic violence, remember that policy is only a few years old. I do not know the timeline of the articles you found.

This year. Many on that Michigan DB who recently got nailed and they all just say his draft stock could suffer and nothing about a possible suspension. I am pretty sure they tried to suspend someone around that Ray Rice time for a DV charge (if my memory is right) pre-draft and it got shot down. Maybe its just the drug test stuff that has automatic stuff if you go to the combine etc. I am sure if someone did something really crazy violence wise the NFL may try to legally keep a team from signing them claiming the integrity of the business would be in jeopardy or something like that but Brantley's incident wouldn't rise to that since others playing have done similar things.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This year. Many on that Michigan DB who recently got nailed and they all just say his draft stock could suffer and nothing about a possible suspension. I am pretty sure they tried to suspend someone around that Ray Rice time for a DV charge (if my memory is right) pre-draft and it got shot down. Maybe its just the drug test stuff that has automatic stuff if you go to the combine etc. I am sure if someone did something really crazy violence wise the NFL may try to legally keep a team from signing them claiming the integrity of the business would be in jeopardy or something like that but Brantley's incident wouldn't rise to that since others playing have done similar things.

Ray Rice was before the policy was in place. So that doesn't really qualify. The policy took place the season after the Ray Rice incident in response to the incident. Right now the Michigan DB Lewis and Brantley have nothing to suspend from, they don't have a team. In 2016 was the first time the Domestic Violence policy started to effect draftable players, no player who has a conviction of domestic violence is allowed at draft related events (like the Combine). Lewis has been charged but not convicted similar to Brantley. Much like Brantley I'm sure the NFL will not have all the information before the draft. Both might end up on a team, or not drafted at all because of fear of their history. Lewis doesn't have a first round grade like Brantley. I'm guess the NFL would rather the teams pass them over first, before getting involved.

Last edited:

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
I guess this is why I care less and less about them when they are gone. I used to care alot about our former players but this stuff happens all the time.

Yep that's what I say, get the best out of these guys while they're here, the heck with what they do in the NFL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.