Callaway cited for pot

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
"McElwain had said there would be consequences if Callaway's marijuana usage "becomes habitual."

I'm pretty sure I've been told by several of my GC friends that weed cannot be habit forming or addictive so we have nothing to worry about here.
Or am I misremembering?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
"McElwain had said there would be consequences if Callaway's marijuana usage "becomes habitual."

I'm pretty sure I've been told by several of my GC friends that weed cannot be habit forming or addictive so we have nothing to worry about here.
Or am I misremembering?
Anything can become habit forming if you have no willpower. I don't believe weed is physically addictive, but again a person can become "mentally addicted" to most anything.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Or am I misremembering?
I smoked cigarettes for 20 years (1981-2001). I've smoked :bandit: since 1981 and haven't stopped.
I don't really know what my point is here, other than to say that :bandit: is addictive, both physically (I believe to a lesser extent than cigarettes) and mentally (the reason why I use it - mental alteration).
Cigarettes were more of a habit for me; and although :bandit: is a habit for me as well, the effects of each are far different - the :bandit: provides mood altering benefits that cigarettes did not. Taking a big drag off a cigarette may have given me stress relief at times, but it never put a smile on my face like :bandit: does.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Callaway and any others previously "caught" for a violation, should lose the right to live off campus, placed in a monitored dorm with a curfew and bedtime breathalyzer tests for instant detection. Accept that or lose your UF CFB scholarship. That's a living dragged-out consequence, not an on-paper + lecture that Callaway and older friend can go driving around laughing about 2 days after.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I have always been against game suspensions. Too much collateral damage and it's not a significant deterrent over other methods.

I'm a stadium steps disciplinarian. Extra physical work and take away privileges. If you're a starter I'd punish the whole position group. And your room mate. Peer pressure is an amazing thing. It gives the guys closest to you motivation to keep you flying right if they know that they are going to suffer if you f up.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I have always been against game suspensions. Too much collateral damage and it's not a significant deterrent over other methods.

I'm a stadium steps disciplinarian. Extra physical work and take away privileges. If you're a starter I'd punish the whole position group. And your room mate. Peer pressure is an amazing thing. It gives the guys closest to you motivation to keep you flying right if they know that they are going to suffer if you f up.

Thats how we did it in the army...

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I hate to say it but he's trouble. I hope CM comes down hard on him. I think we have enough quality receivers we can do without him. Who he hangs with says a lot. He'll cost us more down the road. Sad situation.....

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I hate to say it but he's trouble. I hope CM comes down hard on him. I think we have enough quality receivers we can do without him. Who he hangs with says a lot. He'll cost us more down the road. Sad situation.....

Who was our 2nd leading receiver last year?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Callaway and any others previously "caught" for a violation, should lose the right to live off campus, placed in a monitored dorm with a curfew and bedtime breathalyzer tests for instant detection. Accept that or lose your UF CFB scholarship. That's a living dragged-out consequence, not an on-paper + lecture that Callaway and older friend can go driving around laughing about 2 days after.

Does the Constitution apply in this case?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I smoked cigarettes for 20 years (1981-2001). I've smoked :bandit: since 1981 and haven't stopped.
I don't really know what my point is here, other than to say that :bandit: is addictive, both physically (I believe to a lesser extent than cigarettes) and mentally (the reason why I use it - mental alteration).
Cigarettes were more of a habit for me; and although :bandit: is a habit for me as well, the effects of each are far different - the :bandit: provides mood altering benefits that cigarettes did not. Taking a big drag off a cigarette may have given me stress relief at times, but it never put a smile on my face like :bandit: does.

How old were you when you got high the first time? That has a lot to do with whether the "mind altering" activity becomes an issue or not, and I'm talking weed, drugs or booze. The younger, the worse.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
How old were you when you got high the first time? That has a lot to do with whether the "mind altering" activity becomes an issue or not, and I'm talking weed, drugs or booze. The younger, the worse.
16 - got a car and the rest is history.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think Callaway is out of control..... maybe onhisway out of UF

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
I like this board a lot. I don't want to get into a political debate here. But the way most people talk about weed on here is shocking to me. Has anybody thought that maybe marijuana might be the perfect medicine for a bunch of guys that play a sport with a ton of concussions. It's not beer to these guys. It's not "hey let's go party dudes". It's part of somebody like Antonio Callaway's upbringing and culture probably. The first medical marijuana dispensary just opened in Gainesville this last Friday. I think it's time for a lot of people on this board to adjust their views on marijuana. He got a citation. It's not like he shot the president. Jeez!

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I like this board a lot. I don't want to get into a political debate here. But the way most people talk about weed on here is shocking to me. Has anybody thought that maybe marijuana might be the perfect medicine for a bunch of guys that play a sport with a ton of concussions. It's not beer to these guys. It's not "hey let's go party dudes". It's part of somebody like Antonio Callaway's upbringing and culture probably. The first medical marijuana dispensary just opened in Gainesville this last Friday. I think it's time for a lot of people on this board to adjust their views on marijuana. He got a citation. It's not like he shot the president. Jeez!
I'd be willing to bet that most here largely have no issue with medical use, but come on, we all know this wasn't medical.
Fact of the matter is, it's not about the weed itself, but the fact that there are rules attached to that free room and board, free top notch education, free food, and free platform to display their talents to an audience that could ultimately pay them millions and millions of dollars to just go out and play a GAME.
Even if pot was legalized nationwide, guess what, it'll still be pretty likely to remain against the rules in the sport.
If you can't accept the rules attached to the free schit, then to be honest, don't accept the free schit.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'd be willing to bet that most here largely have no issue with medical use, but come on, we all know this wasn't medical.
Fact of the matter is, it's not about the weed itself, but the fact that there are rules attached to that free room and board, free top notch education, free food, and free platform to display their talents to an audience that could ultimately pay them millions and millions of dollars to just go out and play a GAME.
Even if pot was legalized nationwide, guess what, it'll still be pretty likely to remain against the rules in the sport.
If you can't accept the rules attached to the free schit, then to be honest, don't accept the free schit.
This might be the first time you've ever made any damn sense. Congrats, dickhead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.