Calloway gets named starter, then gets arrested hours later

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
My parents were SEVERE alcoholics and my dad drank himself into a coma and was in intensive care for 2 weeks at 90 pounds and not expected to survive but made it thru. They told him if he drank again he would likely die from alcohol poisoning. He sobered up and lived until 72 years old. Mom was not as bad but still not good. We raised ourselves and got food from friends houses. I can attest to the affects of alcohol on a family. I have never heard anything even close to that about pot.
I'm sorry to know you had to go through that. Mine drank regularly, though not to the degree you describe. The Great Generation was all about booze and cigarettes. I'm surprised anyone adult from the '50s can remember where they were. Everyone had a drink and a cigarette in their hands constantly. Alcohol is definitely worse in my book.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I'm sorry to know you had to go through that. Mine drank regularly, though not to to the degree you describe. The Great Generation was all about booze and cigarettes. I'm surprised anyone adult from the '50s can remember where they were. Everyone had a drink and a cigarette in their hands constantly. Alcohol is definitely worse in my book.

When my dad did work, he drove a truck and it was prior to the driver regulations they have now. He told me many stories about waking up on the side of the road not knowing what state he was in or how he got there.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
When my dad did work, he drove a truck and it was prior to the driver regulations they have now. He told me many stories about waking up on the side of the road not knowing what state he was in or how he got there.
My dad was an executive for BorgWarner. Brilliant man who earned a Purple Heart as a Marine in WWII. I'm pretty sure he was effed up from PTSD from all that he went through as a kid fighting Japs on Okinawa and all the carnage. He regularly did martini lunches. I have no idea how he could be productive in the afternoon, but he was.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Alcohol is the sh#t. My best friend is killing himself with it. He has been to the best treatment centers and still cannot kick it.
My mom and grandmother were alcoholics most of my life. Seeing all of that growing up I swore it would never control me. I can drink socially and once in awhile but I know why people do it. To forget. I remember sitting in the Reitz Union when they first had beer. Around 1977 with some other PE majors. Sharing a pitcher. I thought, "this is too easy and it feels too good." It is just a legal form of self medication.
I have taught hundreds of kids whose families were messed up by booze. Kids always suffer for that abuse. Always. My mom's actions when I was 13 were enough to scare me away from it.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I’ve got a couple of family members that are drunks and neither can hold a job. One has no DL. I also have a couple that smoke weed daily. Both have beautiful families, steady jobs, nice homes, etc. Unless you’re seeking out that mind-blowing sh*t that’s out there, weed ain’t gonna hurt you.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
One of my best friends never graduated HS, bc he can't lay off the weed.

VW+Van.png

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
One of my best friends never graduated HS, bc he can't lay off the weed.

VW+Van.png
Is it the weed or is it the person? From my experience, the person is usually the issue and their drug of choice is simply their coping mechanism for their lot in life.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Is it the weed or is it the person? From my experience, the person is usually the issue and their drug of choice is simply their coping mechanism for their lot in life.
I'd say neither. It's the circumstance(s) that triggers the need for a coping mechanism, which in turn leads to the addiction. I'll bet 90% of the time it's stress that triggers it.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'd say neither. It's the circumstance(s) that triggers the need for a coping mechanism, which in turn leads to the addiction. I'll bet 90% of the time it's stress that triggers it.
Some just deal with life better than others. We’re all dealt sh*t sandwiches from time to time. I like to them of those times as character builders. Some folks use them as excuses.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
My father and mother haven't taken a single drink since the day I was born and I have followed suit.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
My father and mother haven't taken a single drink since the day I was born and I have followed suit.
Did they drink before you were born and chose to stop because of your arrival, or were they teetotalers before?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Did they drink before you were born and chose to stop because of your arrival, or were they teetotalers before?
From what I understand, they drank, partied, and even smoked a little weed until 1974 or so (I had a brother born in 1968 and a sister born in 1970). Then they made some life-changing decisions on what they were going to do (and not do) going forward and never faltered.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No doubt. I think some of these kids do it as an escape from the stress around them. After awhile, it becomes a crutch. My own son does it. I'm not thrilled that he does, but he's off and his own and I can't stop him.

It's at this point that someone usually chimes in that pot isn't addictive. I get it. It isn't like opioids. I know that from my own experience as a teen. My response is anything that becomes a crutch is one and the same.

It’s an addictive habit. I gave up cigarettes in 2001, but I didn’t give up :bandit:.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
We’re all dealt sh*t sandwiches from time to time. I like to them of those times as character builders. Some folks use them as excuses.
Some are dealt sh#t buffets as children and that is more of a soul destroyer instead of character builder. It is different for everyone.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Some are dealt sh#t buffets as children and that is more of a soul destroyer instead of character builder. It is different for everyone.
No truer words have ever been spoken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator