Can we now be glad we have Mullen and not....

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Kelly or Taggart?

UCLA is lacking talent so what is FSU's excuse? I thought the Noles were recruiting SO MUCH BETTER than UF?

Oh, and Rict was the "U" savior?

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
While I am happy with how Week 1 went (honestly I don't think it could have gone much better), I think we all need to remember... it's just week 1. I think we learn a lot by the end of September, and the real test is playing MSU in Starkville. If we keep it close, play respectable football, then it would be a good sign even if it was an L. If it is a win it would be a great sign. UK and UT are must wins for Mullin. A loss to UK in the swamp would be very telling... in the wrong direction.

The words for me right now are "cautiously optimistic".

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
While I am happy with how Week 1 went (honestly I don't think it could have gone much better), I think we all need to remember... it's just week 1. I think we learn a lot by the end of September, and the real test is playing MSU in Starkville. If we keep it close, play respectable football, then it would be a good sign even if it was an L. If it is a win it would be a great sign. UK and UT are must wins for Mullin. A lost to UK in the swamp would be very telling... in the wrong direction.

Agree with a lot of this. I am sure FSU fans will be laughing about Mullen after our first loss even though they will have a couple of losses by that point most likely.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
FSU is the 5th most talented team in the country. Talent is not their excuse, coaching is.

They hired mid major coaches, a coach who was coaching HS 7 on 7, an OC with one of the worst offenses in college football, and brought back a retired 80 year old defensive coordinator to be a personal assistant. Taggart is absolutely trash and thought swag, Duck Duck goose at practice, and terrible catch phrases was going to win him games

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Agree with a lot of this. I am sure FSU fans will be laughing about Mullen after our first loss even though they will have a couple of losses by that point most likely.

But FSU was to have had TALENT.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Take a look at the thread after the New Mexico game in 2015... then lets all pump the breaks. A great first game, but it's Charleston Southern... lets wait a bit.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Y’all got to remember, the only realistic options were:

Kelly
Frost
Mullen
Taggart

(Maybe we could have reached out to Fuente but it was said he wasn’t interested in leaving after two years)

Kelly is not SEC material. Frost was in heavy negotiations but wanted his entire staff to come. A good call by Stricklin to not give in to that, especially what happened with Mac bringing in a group of nobodies. Taggart is a joke. We realistically got the best choice, whether you like it or not. Arguing otherwise means you’d prefer to not have a coach.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I was more on the Frost wagon. Never on Taggart. I thought Kelly would be nice, but not a fit. With that said, I would have taken him over Coach Mullen (a swing and a miss on my part).

The thing I also missed...Mullen wants to be here (I was thinking it was more of get me out of Mississippi).

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017

Kelly
Frost
Mullen
Taggart

(Maybe we could have reached out to Fuente but it was said he wasn’t interested in leaving after two years)

Kelly is not SEC material. Frost was in heavy negotiations but wanted his entire staff to come. A good call by Stricklin to not give in to that, especially what happened with Mac bringing in a group of nobodies. Taggart is a joke. We realistically got the best choice, whether you like it or not. Arguing otherwise means you’d prefer to not have a coach.

I agree with a lot of that, but as far as Frost goes, I think he just said no. Don't think it had anything to do with Staff. After all, Mullen brought most of his staff from Starkville too.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018

Kelly
Frost
Mullen
Taggart

AND Frost was a Nebraska Alum...He was going home. Frost said he would have stayed if it were not Neb. He had it made at UCF.

My only other picks might have been Strong, Mike Norvell, or Blake Anderson...And my dream coach Kerwin Bell

Oct 5, 2014

Kelly
Frost
Mullen
Taggart

After watching our o-line play against Charleston Southern, I reduced my win prediction from eight wins this year to seven wins. After watching FSU being humiliated by Va Tech, I am again predicting eight wins for the Gators this year.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Kelly
Frost
Mullen
Taggart.
:lmao2:

yes out of the hundreds of coaches in the country those are the only for that were available.

:lmao2:

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
My fantasy football draft is tomorrow, and I see parallels in the Mullen hire.

Sometimes, you take a guy with a higher floor. Someone safe who will be capable but may not be the league MVP. That’s Mullen. We need someone who will run a decent program who won’t crap the bed like our previous coaches. If we laid a turd on 3 coaches in a row, we’d be dead permanently.

I liked Frost b/c his ceiling is through the roof. To me, he had the “it factor”. But he carries risk with his offense and lack of p5 experience.

Safe was the way to go to get us out of this funk. If we risked it and lost, it would be bad. Maybe permanently bad.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
My fantasy football draft is tomorrow, and I see parallels in the Mullen hire.

Sometimes, you take a guy with a higher floor. Someone safe who will be capable but may not be the league MVP. That’s Mullen. We need someone who will run a decent program who won’t crap the bed like our previous coaches. If we laid a turd on 3 coaches in a row, we’d be dead permanently.

I liked Frost b/c his ceiling is through the roof. To me, he had the “it factor”. But he carries risk with his offense and lack of p5 experience.

Safe was the way to go to get us out of this funk. If we risked it and lost, it would be bad. Maybe permanently bad.

And you left out Neb was his dream job. He's an Alum...

Mullen wants to be at UF.

GatorAuthor

Bringing Prestige Worldwide
Feb 24, 2016
While I am happy with how Week 1 went (honestly I don't think it could have gone much better), I think we all need to remember... it's just week 1. I think we learn a lot by the end of September, and the real test is playing MSU in Starkville. If we keep it close, play respectable football, then it would be a good sign even if it was an L. If it is a win it would be a great sign. UK and UT are must wins for Mullin. A loss to UK in the swamp would be very telling... in the wrong direction.

There are no “must wins” this year. New coaching staff, different style offense, awful QB situation, depth issues, and the team was 4-7 last year. At the very least there are no SEC games that are “must wins”. Our 1996 NC team beat Vandy 28-21, so stuff can happen any given Saturday.

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
There are no “must wins” this year. New coaching staff, different style offense, awful QB situation, depth issues, and the team was 4-7 last year. At the very least there are no SEC games that are “must wins”. Our 1996 NC team beat Vandy 28-21, so stuff can happen any given Saturday.

I disagree. 28-21 is still a win. A loss to UK is going to be a major morale blow at the beginning of the season and especially on the first of an SEC campaign, to a team we beat for the past 31 years and we beat even with Butters in their home. It is a "must win" for this season to have the appearance of success. Could he make up for it? Yea, if he pulls a win at Starkville or a convincing win against LSU. But if we lose to LSU, MSU and Georgia, plus lose to UK, this season would be poor / failed season IMO.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Kentucky is a must win for any UF coach in this era, just like a UF coach should never lose to Vanderbilt. There are always Must Wins, and to pretend there isn't is just fallacy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.