Canes spread lies that UF cheated

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
"Very quickly after the message was posted on social media, multiple Miami coaches reached out to Gator commits asking them to visit Miami in lieu of the rumor."

In lieu of the rumor. Is Spivey ESL?

Last edited:

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
Remember the post about the high school coach with the stud QB visiting UF? That one turned out to be false and this new false post is very similar.

The Homestead High School coach tweets that a Gators assistant coach is banned over morals. Then a post appears building on that tweet with false facts.

Both of those posts took a nugget of truth and spun it into a big lie that people were all too happy to believe. Then it spreads around the internet.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Remember the post about the high school coach with the stud QB visiting UF? That one turned out to be false and this new false post is very similar.

The Homestead High School coach tweets that a Gators assistant coach is banned over morals. Then a post appears building on that tweet with false facts.

Both of those posts took a nugget of truth and spun it into a big lie that people were all too happy to believe. Then it spreads around the internet.

It all definitely smells of an organized and planned attack, doesn't it?

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
This hopefully gets Mac fired. How can we turn this against him?
Firing Mac is not going to take care of other schools lying about our program.
PHD Gator is right that this needs to be addressed through the media- and social media and the NCAA contacted, although I doubt they give a shyte.
The AD needs to do something, but I'm not expecting that to happen, I guess it depends how much autonomy he has in these matters as well as inclination

If this ever gets demonstrated to be false, I doubt the sports media bothers to emphasize it.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe Canes are just trying to distract from this:

Boy, these fake twitter accounts are getting better and better.:lmao:

gatorgrad'02

Aug 10, 2015
Firing Mac is not going to take care of other schools lying about our program.
PHD Gator is right that this needs to be addressed through the media- and social media and the NCAA contacted, although I doubt they give a shyte.
The AD needs to do something, but I'm not expecting that to happen, I guess it depends how much autonomy he has in these matters as well as inclination

If this ever gets demonstrated to be false, I doubt the sports media bothers to emphasize it.

It'll be a good test to see if Stricklin has any balls.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You guys really think it is against some NCAA rule to lie about another team?

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
A Miami fan has already taken public credit for making up the story. He originally posted it in a forum at Rivals and the @UGARecruiting twitter handle picked it up. From there it went viral.

Here's an example of a forum post actually having a real world effect on recruiting.

I hope the UF legal team makes an example of this guy. It seems like a can't miss defamation case.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
A Miami fan has already taken public credit for making up the story. He originally posted it in a forum at Rivals and the @UGARecruiting twitter handle picked it up. From there it went viral.

Here's an example of a forum post actually having a real world effect on recruiting.

I hope the UF legal team makes an example of this guy. It seems like a can't miss defamation case.

Yawn

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's not much of a defamation case.

And, by UF legal team, do you mean the people that drew up Chimp's contract? Not particularly impressive. One spent months on here attempting to claim that you can't even put a covenant not to compete or a buyout in a coach's contract.

Last edited:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014

Can't defame someone on social media since it doesn't influence anyone.:whistle:

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
It's not much of a defamation case

I'm no lawyer, but it seems that there is a very good case.

The legal definition is any intentional false communication, either written or spoken, that harms a person's reputation; decreases the respect, regard, or confidence in which a person is held; or induces disparaging, hostile, or disagreeable opinions or feelings against a person.

In New York Times v. Sullivan the Supreme Court balanced the plaintiff's (a policeman) interest in preserving his reputation against the public's interest in freedom of expression in the area of political debate. It held that a public official alleging libel must prove actual malice in order to recover damages. The Court declared that the first amendment protects open and robust debate on public issues even when such debate includes "vehement, caustic, unpleasantly sharp attacks on government and public officials." A public official or other plaintiff who has voluntarily assumed a position in the public eye must prove that defamatory statements were made with knowledge that they were false or with reckless disregard of whether they were false.

defamation (of character)
n. the act of making untrue statements about another which damages his/her reputation. If the defamatory statement is printed or broadcast over the media it is libel and, if only oral, it is slander. Public figures, including officeholders and candidates have to show that the defamation was made with malicious intent and was not just fair comment. Damages for slander may be limited to actual (special) damages unless there is malice. Some statements such as an accusation of having committed a crime, having a feared disease, or being unable to perform one's occupation are called libel per se or slander and can more easily lead to large money awards in court and even punitive damage recovery by the person harmed. Most states provide for a demand for a printed retraction of defamation and only allow a lawsuit if there is no such admission of error.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
The accusation is proven to be false by the person that thought up the story and broadcasted it - no surprise there. Mark Richt's coaches acting on this false story contacting Gator commits and getting them to switch based on lies - Richt and his whole staff should be investigated for recuiting violations against Florida.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You didn't answer the question.
Im not taking you through it in any depth.

The super quick answer is the university cant sue for defamation and no individual was allegedly libelled. The next problem is that the libel was nearly immediately recognized as false. Finally, there is no remedy, ie cash, for losing one day of a recruiting advantage of having a slightly better reputation.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.