Captain's Cogitations - South Carolina

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Always love it when we beat the Cocks and have a happy ending. :grin:

Yesterday sure was a tale of two games, at least for the defense. The offense really wasn't doing THAT poorly outside of a couple sluggish drives. They were moving the ball consistently basically the entire game, especially on the ground, and had a couple shots to the foot with penalties that killed drives. I mean we only punted three times, so obviously it was a much, much better performance all-around from them after two rough games the last two weeks.

When you look at Franks' stat line, nothing jumps out that much, but 15-21 is GREAT for him after having some serious accuracy issues against UGA and Missouri. Mullen is still giving him a lot of easier throws, which is fine. I'd rather he give him higher percentage throws than chuck it deep on 3rd & 1 like last week. And even with all the short throws, we still averaged over 10 yards per completion, so it's effective if nothing else. He also proved to be an effective weapon in short yardage situations as long as he isn't fumbling the ball away. With a guy that big, just let him fall foward and that's another two yards guaranteed. He had 60 rushing yards if you take away the yards he lost on sacks and bad snaps. I'll take that every week.

The offensive line had a much better game after being manhandled the last two weeks. Every game is an adventure with these guys, especially with multiple false starts at home, but in the end they got it done. Scarlett was running like every defender insulted his mother, my goodness. It was a war zone down there. Perine had some crafty carries and was able to break a lot of tackles. Toney finally got a chance to show what he can do, and considering he's just about our only offensive player who can turn a broken play into a positive, he needs to keep getting touches. That's the best our ground game has looked against someone other than a cupcake in quite a while, maybe since the 400+ yard game against UGA in '14. It's amazing when on your game-winning drive in the 4th quarter, you don't really have to rely on the passing game, you can just keep gashing a team for 7-10 yards a carry. Great bounceback on that front.

Defensively, I'm not sure what the hell is going on with these guys in the locker room before the game. We've had so many slow starts on defense this year, it's baffling. Thankfully, we've more often than not made adjustments and improved into the 2nd half in most of our games, which is great, but I'd like to see us play a complete game for once. Third down was ugly again yesterday, but when it mattered, we nutted up and shut them down. And we FINALLY got another turnover after almost three full games without one. CJ Henderson once again proved he's our most valuable defensive player, chasing down Deebo on the long pass play and sealing the game with that pick. Obviously they scored after that 90 yard pass play, but that was a HUGE play by Henderson to save the TD and give us a chance to keep them out of the end zone.

So here we stand, on the cusp of an 8th win next week and going into Tallahassee to play a team that has full on quit on the season. We seemed to have taken the car out of reverse and put it in drive again, now it's time to hammer down and win these last two games going away. With FSU and Miami being as bad as they are this year, finishing 9-3 would do wonders for us on the recruiting trail. Getting a bowl game against the little sisters of Orlando and shutting them up would be even better, but that's getting ahead of ourselves.

Next week will be a bit of a milestone for me, as it will be my 50th Gator football game. Looking forward to a fun afternoon and a big win, go Gators!

:chomp:

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
I think you had to be there to appreciate how physical this game was.
Frank's took shot after shot and even seemed slow to get up a few times, only to have Mullen call his number again.
I thought Trask could run butters offense as well as Frank's, but there is no way he survives the 1st quarter in a game like this.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
The offensive line had a much better game after being manhandled the last two weeks. Every game is an adventure with these guys, especially with multiple false starts at home

Defensively, I'm not sure what the hell is going on with these guys in the locker room before the game. We've had so many slow starts on defense this year, it's baffling. Thankfully, we've more often than not made adjustments and improved into the 2nd half in most of our games, which is great, but I'd like to see us play a complete game for once.

I cannot fathom how, being the 10th game of the season, we are having these many issues getting the ball hiked - false starts (at home as you note), illegal formations because we don't know where to line up. This is ridiculous. I'd cut some slack if we're constantly changing lineups, snap counts, plugging in freshman to cover for injuries. But all in all, this is inexcusable to me.

On defense, yeah, we're adjusting in 2nd half a lot, but by now, the tape is out on our opponents. How the hell are we not prepared to start the game? Is EVERY team changing their offense when they face us so we get caught off guard and have to figure it out and adjust (I'm betting not), or is our coaching/player_prep that bad. Again, I shouldn't see Joseph and Reese looking at each other on what went wrong as the other team scores (again!) - these aren't freshman. New DC, maybe new scheme, but by game 10, our leaders shouldn't be wondering what the play call was, or who didn't do their assignment.

I am disappoint on these counts.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I think you had to be there to appreciate how physical this game was.
Frank's took shot after shot and even seemed slow to get up a few times, only to have Mullen call his number again.
I thought Trask could run butters offense as well as Frank's, but there is no way he survives the 1st quarter in a game like this.
Oh definitely. Franks was slow getting up several times. That play where we tried the double pass and he ended up scrambling to the other side of the field, he was tackled out of bounds and laid there for a good bit before getting up. Really thought he was going to stay down, but he kept on keeping on.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Oh definitely. Franks was slow getting up several times. That play where we tried the double pass and he ended up scrambling to the other side of the field, he was tackled out of bounds and laid there for a good bit before getting up. Really thought he was going to stay down, but he kept on keeping on.
He was absolutely drilled on that play you’re talking about. No one could’ve blamed him if he left the game after that one. To his credit, he got up and kept chugging along, showing his toughness.

I said it in the box yesterday about Scarlett too. He was running angry as hell.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Looks to me like Franks responds positive to negative remarks. Besides persevering smoothly after taking big whacks, Franks also gave tremendous effort motoring to downfield block, hero to his backs. That & other things are what real team-players sacrifice for teammates. Now, were getting somewhere, if we don't backslide.

Well writ concept-captures, cap.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Seems the best thing to do with Franks is piss him off. Of course it would be best if the opposition would do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator