Car Thread

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
willyb20240219.jpg

Daytona 500 winner William Byron. I enjoyed the day, only because I got in free. The piped in music was extremely annoying and way too loud. On the track pre race, even during races, instead of the announcer talking about the race they played commercials and useless loud music during cautions. Even with the Xfinity race a half lap from coming to the green flag, the music was blasting. I get the commercials, but the constant blaring of loud hype music was pointless. If not for my radio headset blocking decibels I would have left. I thought IMSA radio was annoying with the has been foreign announcer who gets it wrong half the time and is always corrected by the female commentator. Nascar really sucks compared to the days when they played MRN radio on the PA system.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That dude wrecked the whole field on his way to victory :shakehead:

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
Yes he did. Bowman pushed him and he lost control on the backstretch, then coming to the white flag he blocked Chastain causing him to turn down and collide with Cindric. The first two 'stages' were terribly boring. Racing got tighter as soon as the third stage began. It was still the weakest 500 I can ever remember. I was pulling for Larson, Chastain, LaJoie, or Bell.

I went to the Streamline hotel, 'Birthplace of Nascar' last week for a gathering of legends. It was fantastic. I got in an elevator and there was Ms. Hurst Linda Vaughn. On the roof I had a chat with Dick Berggren, he stays busy in a museum in New Hampshire. I talked to Geoff Bodine and his truck wreck came up. He mentioned the fire wrapping around a Deputy along the fence. I told Geoff the Deputy's name, I knew him back then and we discussed that fire wrapping him up and spitting him out. He said it was like opening a hot oven door and closing it up. Lots of friends and legendary racers were there. Darrell Gwynn is always a bright star in his wheelchair. He hosts a fishing tournament every year before the 500 in the infield lake.

I'm looking forward to watching Supercross, more Outlaw sprints at Volusia, and 3 days of flagging superbikes for the 200. Then 4 days of flagging real race cars at Sebring. All in the next 4 weeks. If I could, I'd go to Sebring this weekend for Trans Am series and SVRA, and more.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
It's beginning to look like car Christmas around here. Yup, the Shelby is undergoing surgery here in the next couple of weeks and will come back bigger, stronger and faster. Well only a little faster.
Mainly I've decided that after a few years of wanting the latest generation of the GT500(2020-2022) the prices just aren't coming down to where I want them to as people are still asking 80-110K. That along with a 16 year old son soon to be needing a car plus college(maybe) in a few years along with uncertainty in the market, coming out of pocket with 100K(I don't finance toys) for something I drive 5-6 times a month just doesn't seem prudent.

Anyway after knowing that the coilovers currently on the car have been leaking for a while I've decided to refresh some of the suspension with some adjustable shocks and struts, new springs, and control arms. The car already has ride height adjusters and adjustable caster camber plates, adjustable panhard bar, adjustable sway bars along with some other goodies, so she will still straighten out the corners pretty well.

I am also going to refresh some of the cosmetic wear and tear with a paint correction, new stripes, new chin spoiler and have a dime sized paint chip repaired on the front of the car. And of course, it's time for new tires again...I can't figure out how I'm on my 3rd set of tires despite only putting 21K miles on it in the 7.5 years I've owned it...:lol:

If things go as planned between now and the time she goes in for the mechanical work I might have a larger ported supercharger and throttle body set up from another car at the same shop who is upgrading his 2013 GT500. If this comes about it will boost my car up to around 700RWP(800 crank HP)....I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this part.

IMG_1999.jpg

Last edited:

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
Celebration Exotic Car Show this Saturday. This is a good one, FREE car show Saturday. Porsche 918 Spyder, Ferrari LaFerrari, and McLaren P1 will be on display. Bugatti Chiron, McLaren P1, Ferrari 812 Competizione, and a lot more. Celebrities will be there, actor Bill Fichtner, former Nascar driver Mike Skinner, baseball player Johnny Damon, and football players Jim Kelly and Ed Too Tall Jones. I can't go because I'm working a 14 hour ChampCar race at Daytona but SOME of the Exotic cars will be on track Mon/Tues for hot laps. The CECF is selling tickets to the infield for these days, $20 each.

Exotic Car Festival in Celebration, Florida April 5-9, 2024

Last edited:

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
20240408_164158.jpg

The Celebration Festival granted a child's Make A Wish by giving him a ride along in this car as part of his wish. They treated him to VIP hospitality all week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator