Cataracts; Advice Needed

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So at 56, I find that I am in need of cataract surgery. Started noticing some cloudy vision in my right eye after my yearly checkup at the optometrist back in June. Put off going back until a couple of weeks ago thinking that it would clear up eventually (wife thrashed me for being the typical male :)). Was informed that I had a cataract forming in the middle of my right eye and a lesser one forming to the side of my left eye. I have to take a steroid (Dexamethasone) weekly as a maintenance drug and one of the side effects is a rapid formation of cataracts. Supposed to have the surgery on the right eye the second week of September and the other one two weeks later. The doctor has gone over the procedure, and it sounds pretty simple, but I was wondering if anybody can tell me exactly what to expect in terms of the procedure itself, recovery time, what typical vision should be afterwards, etc. Biggest thing right now besides the cloudy right eye seems to be light issues (almost a glare from sunshine, artificial lighting, and car headlights while driving at night). Next biggest thing is it's affecting my ball-striking on the golf course! Thanks for any info you can share.

upload_2016-8-22_9-15-51.jpeg

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Have you had you eye pressure checked recently? I have been told I have advanced glaucoma and have to take 2 different types of drops everyday. I also have some blurred vision in my right eye which I believe is from a cataract and have some of the same symptoms you describe. My biggest problem is that my optometrist only wants to talk about my glaucoma and how I shouldn't even be driving, which is complete BS, instead of fixing my cloudy vision....I think it is pretty routine procedure but they do come back. You should be fine.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Have you had you eye pressure checked recently? I have been told I have advanced glaucoma and have to take 2 different types of drops everyday. I also have some blurred vision in my right eye which I believe is from a cataract and have some of the same symptoms you describe. My biggest problem is that my optometrist only wants to talk about my glaucoma and how I shouldn't even be driving, which is complete BS, instead of fixing my cloudy vision....I think it is pretty routine procedure but they do come back. You should be fine.
Eye pressure is part of my annual checkup and so far it has been normal each time. Funny thing, the device they use to check requires them to put drops in and press the instrument to your eye. I thought for a bit after my last exam that they might have scratched the lens or I'd gotten an infection from it. Most likely wishful thinking on my part. I appreciate the feedback.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm lucky to have good eyes and really only need glasses for reading (knock on wood) that started when I was in my mid-40s.
Good luck C2. :eek:ldman:

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Play it to your advantage and become a pirate.
1365507662923.cached.png

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Not a big fan of GM products myself - I've always preferred Rinkins.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You only have two eyes....see an ophthalmologist who has a medical doctor degree

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You only have two eyes....see an ophthalmologist who has a medical doctor degree
No doubt. Optometrist routed me to the Ophthalmologist who will do the surgery. Forgot to add that in the opener. Good reminder.

ppinesgator

Founding Member
aka "Biggums"
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member

The optometrist only wants to talk about the glaucoma because the cataracts is out of his/her scope of services. Go see an ophthalmologist for that. Sooner than later.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
The optometrist only wants to talk about the glaucoma because the cataracts is out of his/her scope of services. Go see an ophthalmologist for that. Sooner than later.
Sorry, that's what I meant. Problem is she a a condescending B!tch who really just wants to have me quit driving which I have no problem with, and to prescribe more and different kinds of eye drop, I'm sure she kicks kickbacks, instead of helping me. I've also been told that I have "surfers eye" which is supposed to be able to be removed? She just tells me that I'm searching for something.....Then gives me more eye drops.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Sorry, that's what I meant. Problem is she a a condescending B!tch who really just wants to have me quit driving which I have no problem with, and to prescribe more and different kinds of eye drop, I'm sure she kicks kickbacks, instead of helping me. I've also been told that I have "surfers eye" which is supposed to be able to be removed? She just tells me that I'm searching for something.....Then gives me more eye drops.

Go quickly to a medical school trained ophthalmologist.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Go quickly to a medical school trained ophthalmologist.
Oh she has lots of degrees as well as too many patients...she usually has 25-30 in the office at one time....Once she renews my prescrips next month I'll be seeking a new Doctor...

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
No doubt. Optometrist routed me to the Ophthalmologist who will do the surgery. Forgot to add that in the opener. Good reminder.

Why do you take the dexamethasone weekly and how have you been doing this? Have the long term potential complications of doing so been clearly explained to you?

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Why do you take the dexamethasone weekly and how have you been doing this? Have the long term potential complications of doing so been clearly explained to you?
I was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma about five years ago and have had a stem cell transplant. The Dexamethasone is part of the maintenance regimen that keeps my immunoprotein levels in check and me in a remission state. Had all this done at Shands and my doctor, Jan Morab, who is about the best in his field as far as I'm concerned, did explain that the cataracts were a side effect of the steroid therapy (among other things). Having had excellent eyesight all of my life until mid forties, it does kinda stink, but it beats the hell out of what the alternative would be without the Dex.

cornbread

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Had all this done at Shands and my doctor, Jan Morab, who is about the best in his field as far as I'm concerned, did explain that the cataracts were a side effect of the steroid therapy (among other things).
morab is also my doctor I also have eye problems along with other issues from the predizone, I also think highly of Dr Moreb, it will be ten years come December that I had a bone marrow transplant, I go see him once a month, drive from Alabama to see him, hope you get your problem resolved soon

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
morab is also my doctor I also have eye problems along with other issues from the predizone, I also think highly of Dr Moreb, it will be ten years come December that I had a bone marrow transplant, I go see him once a month, drive from Alabama to see him, hope you get your problem resolved soon
Thank you for sharing. If you ever come on Wednesdays, we have probably passed by one another. I am fortunate to only have to go see him semiannually. I'll be 5 years out from my transplant this May. I hope that you continue to do well.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It's been over 20 years but I used to sell in the ophthalmology market. I would go into cataract surgeries. Since that time the procedure has come a very long way. It is pretty much painless. And the procedure itself Takes less than an hour. At least that is based on my knowledge of a few years ago. Things may have changed a little bit since then. They make a very small incision at the edge of your cornea and use something called phacoemulsification to break up the old lens in your eye and suction it out in pieces. Then they use a pliable artificial lens and roll it up and place it through the small incision and then it opens up with in the capsule left by your old lense. The recovery time is relatively short and painless. You should be seeing much better and clearer soon after surgery. There is a chance to get what is called A secondary cataract which is not in the lens but actually the back side of the capsule in which the lens sits. If you get one of these they can clear that up with a laser painlessly . Sorry if this is difficult to read I'm doing it talk to text. Good luck with your surgery and your myeloma treatments

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's been over 20 years but I used to sell in the ophthalmology market. I would go into cataract surgeries. Since that time the procedure has come a very long way. It is pretty much painless. And the procedure itself Takes less than an hour. At least that is based on my knowledge of a few years ago. Things may have changed a little bit since then. They make a very small incision at the edge of your cornea and use something called phacoemulsification to break up the old lens in your eye and suction it out in pieces. Then they use a pliable artificial lens and roll it up and place it through the small incision and then it opens up with in the capsule left by your old lense. The recovery time is relatively short and painless. You should be seeing much better and clearer soon after surgery. There is a chance to get what is called A secondary cataract which is not in the lens but actually the back side of the capsule in which the lens sits. If you get one of these they can clear that up with a laser painlessly . Sorry if this is difficult to read I'm doing it talk to text. Good luck with your surgery and your myeloma treatments
I certainly appreciate the info and the well wishes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator