Cataracts; Advice Needed

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So when I was 16.... 17.... I was doing some work on my 1st car. I removed the ash tray to modify it so it could hold some hidden switches (car stereo stuff). I cut it and then brought it to the grinder. Sparks went everywhere (of course) and so I immediately stopped, put on some goggles, and went back to work. That night, it felt like a had little piece of sand in my eye. The next morning, it felt like an ice pick was stabbed through it.

So off to the ER.

They looked in there and sure enough... a little tiny metal splinter. "Why werent you wearing googles?"

Piece of cake, they literally pluck it out like a splinter. They numbed up my eye with some drops and go to work. It was odd, my vision was blurring as they were applying pressure to the eye with the needle. Unfortunately, the tip of the splinter is left in my eye when they pluck out the splinter. "Why werent you wearing goggles again?"

So plan B is to drill out the splinter. But since this is such an unusual case, they wanted to wait until all the interns and other newbies all come in there so they can all watch. The room crowds with like 15 fresh doctors watching in horror. They literally had to use a dremel tool looking drill to drill this sucker out. Now I am fully awake. Does anyone know what it feels like to watch a drill bit come straight at your eyeball? "So...um... why were you not wearing goggles?"

It is evening by this point. They get it all out. But they said over the past 24 hours, it has rusted a little bit. So they want me to come back the next day and have the real eye doctor do this again. Great, except I was leaving on a plane flight at 6 the next morning. So they page in the eye doc to come in and go ahead and do it.

He eventually gets there and was pissed. "Why the fuk were you not wearing goggles?!" I had to go through the EXACT same procedure with a dremel tool... except this time, with an even smaller drill bit. He filed away little bits of my eye that had rust stains on it. While I was awake. Watching a drill bit. Being told... "dont blink". The last thing that doc said to me was, "dont be a dumbass, wear goggles."

Oh please, isn't that bad. Atleast when I'm the one holding the dremel. :cool:

Jun 2, 2015
Cover2, I am so glad everything went well. You will be absolutely amazed at how well you will be able to see after your other eye has been done.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Cover2, I am so glad everything went well. You will be absolutely amazed at how well you will be able to see after your other eye has been done.
Thanks Daytona. I'm already amazed at how clear things look from my right eye now. Played golf today and was amazed at how well I saw the ball and the effect it had on my ball striking. I didn't realize how half blind I was! Can't wait to get the left one done a week from Monday.

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
You're lucky.... I had to have lens removed to clear out all the scar tissue..... Retina re-attached and have oil bubble, "Hard cast" as my doc calls it, Between lens removal and atropine drops to keep pupil dilated my eye is so light sensitive it's hard to even look at a computer.

In a few months he'll have to go back and put a new lens in... yay me.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You're lucky.... I had to have lens removed to clear out all the scar tissue..... Retina re-attached and have oil bubble, "Hard cast" as my doc calls it, Between lens removal and atropine drops to keep pupil dilated my eye is so light sensitive it's hard to even look at a computer.

I am, indeed, lucky. Hope you get to the end of this journey with better and certainly more stable vision. My stuff is certainly minor in comparison. Keep us posted on how it transpires. Good luck.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

He is lucky. This is what they used for cataracts 3000 years ago in ancient Egypt.

cataract-needle.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.