CBB: Marquise Caudill Charged Over In Game Fight

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
That is disgusting. I am glad he is getting charged and hope he loses all offers

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Looks as though the much smaller white kid got KTFO.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
There's no place for that in sports. The school is closing down anyhow. This human garbage will be dead in ten years.

See ya.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We allow fighting in baseball and hockey. It also happen in basketball and football. Why is this any different?

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
It appeared to me that:

1. He hit the kid with a fore arm, not an elbow or fist.

2. He was pointing at the kid and I would not doubt things were said. That does not excuse assault in my book, but it can be mitigating in the law.

In general I do not like charging people with crimes based on the things in sporting event. Should Tommy Lewis have been charged with assault in 1954? I think the referee attacked by the high school kid a year or so back was smart to meet with the kid and not let it turn into a huge legal issue.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It appeared to me that:

2. He was pointing at the kid and I would not doubt things were said. That does not excuse assault in my book, but it can be mitigating in the law.

In general I do not like charging people with crimes based on the things in sporting event. Should Tommy Lewis have been charged with assault in 1954? I think the referee attacked by the high school kid a year or so back was smart to meet with the kid and not let it turn into a huge legal issue.

I like to know why also. It's just a weird statement.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It appeared to me that:

He stomped him.

Wuerffel4Pres

No offense
Lifetime Member
Aug 27, 2016
Looks like something Demarcus Cousins, (another scumbag who belongs in prison) would do.

Funny how athletic talent so often trumps criminal behavior.

Sad, but true.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Of the 4 charges for the 2 players (3 for 1 and 1 for the other) only 1 charge was for the "punch" which most likely gets dropped or reduced dramatically. The other 3 charges will probably stick

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

Well the Tommy Lewis question is part of it, but in general sports are an exception to criminal law. Most acts in football are crimes. Certainly all tackles are. Many defensive actions in basketball are criminal acts. All tags in baseball and any inside pitch in baseball are criminal acts. Hitting a shot directly at an opposing player in tennis is a criminal act. etc.

So I think it is hard to single out some things outside the rules and call them crimes but not others.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Well the Tommy Lewis question is part of it, but in general sports are an exception to criminal law. Most acts in football are crimes. Certainly all tackles are. Many defensive actions in basketball are criminal acts. All tags in baseball and any inside pitch in baseball are criminal acts. Hitting a shot directly at an opposing player in tennis is a criminal act. etc.

So I think it is hard to single out some things outside the rules and call them crimes but not others.

Sucker punching someone and stomping them on the ground and fighting off security isn't part of the game.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well the Tommy Lewis question is part of it, but in general sports are an exception to criminal law. Most acts in football are crimes. Certainly all tackles are.
Contact made DURING the game and consistent with the game would never be a crime. There is no criminal intent and the other person is voluntarily playing the game and assenting to the contact (thus it isnt an "offensive" contact required of a battery).

There is no reason to excuse physical attacks that occur outside of the rules. Putting on a jersey isnt a defense which authorizes one person to attack another.

Last edited:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Well, I hope the kid that got decked learned a valuable lesson. Never jaw back and forth. The minute someone approaches you in a threatening manner, knock the m'fer on their ass!

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Contact made DURING the game and consistent with the game would never be a crime. There is no criminal intent and the other person is voluntarily playing the game and assenting to the contact (thus it isnt an "offensive" contact required of a battery).

There is no reason to excuse physical attacks that occur outside of the rules.
Unless you're a Clown or a Baptist University in Texas.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
We allow fighting in baseball and hockey. It also happen in basketball and football. Why is this any different?

Good question - fighting is not allowed in baseball (even though there have been some good ones) -
but it is "allowed" in hockey if the situation warrants it.
And only until the refs deem it over or someone hits the ice.
And it might happen in basketball and football but it's definitely not allowed.
Hockey's the only sport I know of that actually tolerates it.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good question - fighting is not allowed in baseball (even though there have been some good ones) -
but it is "allowed" in hockey if the situation warrants it.
And only until the refs deem it over or someone hits the ice.
And it might happen in basketball and football but it's definitely not allowed.
Hockey's the only sport I know of that actually tolerates it.
They all tolerate it. If it wasn't tolerated, and a zero tolerance put into place, then there would be more criminal charges. This is being pointed out, as per thread title, that charges have been filed and hence why we are talking about it.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
They all tolerate it. If it wasn't tolerated, and a zero tolerance put into place, then there would be more criminal charges. This is being pointed out, as per thread title, that charges have been filed and hence why we are talking about it.

Oh I see what you're saying... so yeah, it's tolerated to the degree that there might be an ejection or a short term suspension but no criminal charges.
(e.g. Nolan Ryan not being charged for kicking Robin Ventura's ass).

Only 'Five for Fighting' though in hockey unless it's an egregious assault - then there may be some game time lost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.