Except one…
winning charlie sheen GIF

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Average at best? This guy makes Bob Davie look like Don Coryell....
I had to check because I couldn't recall: Kevin Rogers was responsilbe for the offensive ineptitude at ND.

Charlie Strong (defensive line, 1995-98): It was an unbelievable group of coaches, and at that time, if you think about it, everybody was going to Notre Dame so they could go get a head coaching job. But now the landscape has changed where a lot of guys get jobs from a lot of different places. But at that time, that’s why you worked there. Everybody was trying to get there.

Steve Addazio (tackles/tight ends/special teams, 1999-01): How about the ADs, man? And the assistant ADs. Kevin White was the AD; he’s one of the best in the country, and I had a great relationship with Kevin. And then Bubba Cunningham, really close with Bubba, the AD at North Carolina, and then Sandy Barbour at Penn State, Bernard Muir at Stanford and Jim Phillips (Northwestern). I was with all those guys! We used to all hang out together. … I just look back and I’m like: Holy crap. We were all close friends, all hanging out, all young assistant ADs, ADs, and all those coaches who have gone on to be head coaches, who have gone to be top coordinators. So it was really cool.

Urban Meyer (receivers, 1996-00): I think it prepares you. Also, when I got the phone call to go coach at Notre Dame with Lou Holtz in 1996, my career changed. Instant credibility, once you have that golden dome on your résumé and you can say you’ve been a part of Notre Dame football. That’s instant credibility. Your name starts to get mentioned for head coaching positions. So I think more than just getting you ready, it’s just instant credibility, and that’s not regionalized. You’re talking about national.

Kevin Rogers (Offensive coordinator/quarterbacks, 1999-01): I had three opportunities that year. That was (Donovan) McNabb’s senior year coming out Syracuse and we had a really good team offensively and I had three opportunities: Oklahoma, Michigan State and Notre Dame. Being an Irish Catholic in New York, I chose to go there, which probably if I had to do it over again wasn’t necessarily a great decision, at least at that point in time, because we were still involved in the age discrimination case with Joe Moore and we had the NCAA stuff going on. So it was not a great time to be at Our Lady’s University.

Kirk Doll (assistant head coach/linebackers/special teams 1994-01): It was different, and I don’t mean that to be ugly, OK? But every year was like a new year almost, in terms of how recruiting was and just a lot of stuff. But the accomplishments, I think it showed that as all the assistants went through that situation that they grew a great deal and were able to handle problems that maybe at some point at different places you might not have known until you were actually in the heat of battle. I think there are a lot of good reasons why Urban and Steve Addazio and those guys have been excellent head coaches.

Mike Sanford Sr. (quarterbacks, 1997-98): I think a lot of really talented guys (were on staff). I also think there are certain places in the country that give you a platform, I would say, to progress as a head coach, and I think Notre Dame is one of those, for sure. I think there was a ton of talent on that staff during that time Lou Holtz and Bob Davie were there. I also think there’s something special about Notre Dame and the opportunities that coaches get going from Notre Dame to other places.

Lou West (safeties, 1998-00): Working with Urban, he’s intense, OK? But when you’re around him — we played basketball. I went over to his house. I ate dinner over at his house. You wouldn’t think how fun he could be to be around. He’s a jokester. You look at him now and I think the people see him and they see him as an intense football coach, but he’s a great person to be around. And like I said, he’s a jokester and tells some funny jokes and stuff. When it’s time to do your business, he’s business.

Bill Sheridan (safeties/special teams, 2001): We lost to Michigan State in Week 2 (in 2001) and in that third game we lost to Texas A&M, so we started the season out 0-3 and that really shook us. And we battled back and finished about .500, but it wasn’t good enough and they decided to move on from Coach Davie. But it was a good experience, and I enjoyed my time there very much.

Dave Borbely (offensive line, 1998-01): We were all about the same age, and we had a lot of fun. Urban and I used to hang out. We were all kind of neighbors. We all kind of lived either in the same subdivision or next door. Urban’s kids were the same age as mine. We’d go up to one of those amusement parks up in Chicago. Steve and I hung out quite a bit. We all hung out a lot together. Greg Mattison and I drank a ton of Jack Daniel’s together, and we had a lot of fun with each other. But it’s funny because Notre Dame’s one of those places — if you win it’s just kind of total relief, and when you lose it’s just devastating. We never really hung out much after a game because everybody just wanted 12 hours to themselves to kind of be with their families. But it was a bunch of great guys and I had a great time there and a bunch of good friends.

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I had to check because I couldn't recall: Kevin Rogers was responsilbe for the offensive ineptitude at ND.

Charlie Strong (defensive line, 1995-98): It was an unbelievable group of coaches, and at that time, if you think about it, everybody was going to Notre Dame so they could go get a head coaching job. But now the landscape has changed where a lot of guys get jobs from a lot of different places. But at that time, that’s why you worked there. Everybody was trying to get there.

Steve Addazio (tackles/tight ends/special teams, 1999-01): How about the ADs, man? And the assistant ADs. Kevin White was the AD; he’s one of the best in the country, and I had a great relationship with Kevin. And then Bubba Cunningham, really close with Bubba, the AD at North Carolina, and then Sandy Barbour at Penn State, Bernard Muir at Stanford and Jim Phillips (Northwestern). I was with all those guys! We used to all hang out together. … I just look back and I’m like: Holy crap. We were all close friends, all hanging out, all young assistant ADs, ADs, and all those coaches who have gone on to be head coaches, who have gone to be top coordinators. So it was really cool.

Urban Meyer (receivers, 1996-00): I think it prepares you. Also, when I got the phone call to go coach at Notre Dame with Lou Holtz in 1996, my career changed. Instant credibility, once you have that golden dome on your résumé and you can say you’ve been a part of Notre Dame football. That’s instant credibility. Your name starts to get mentioned for head coaching positions. So I think more than just getting you ready, it’s just instant credibility, and that’s not regionalized. You’re talking about national.

Kevin Rogers (Offensive coordinator/quarterbacks, 1999-01): I had three opportunities that year. That was (Donovan) McNabb’s senior year coming out Syracuse and we had a really good team offensively and I had three opportunities: Oklahoma, Michigan State and Notre Dame. Being an Irish Catholic in New York, I chose to go there, which probably if I had to do it over again wasn’t necessarily a great decision, at least at that point in time, because we were still involved in the age discrimination case with Joe Moore and we had the NCAA stuff going on. So it was not a great time to be at Our Lady’s University.

Kirk Doll (assistant head coach/linebackers/special teams 1994-01): It was different, and I don’t mean that to be ugly, OK? But every year was like a new year almost, in terms of how recruiting was and just a lot of stuff. But the accomplishments, I think it showed that as all the assistants went through that situation that they grew a great deal and were able to handle problems that maybe at some point at different places you might not have known until you were actually in the heat of battle. I think there are a lot of good reasons why Urban and Steve Addazio and those guys have been excellent head coaches.

Mike Sanford Sr. (quarterbacks, 1997-98): I think a lot of really talented guys (were on staff). I also think there are certain places in the country that give you a platform, I would say, to progress as a head coach, and I think Notre Dame is one of those, for sure. I think there was a ton of talent on that staff during that time Lou Holtz and Bob Davie were there. I also think there’s something special about Notre Dame and the opportunities that coaches get going from Notre Dame to other places.

Lou West (safeties, 1998-00): Working with Urban, he’s intense, OK? But when you’re around him — we played basketball. I went over to his house. I ate dinner over at his house. You wouldn’t think how fun he could be to be around. He’s a jokester. You look at him now and I think the people see him and they see him as an intense football coach, but he’s a great person to be around. And like I said, he’s a jokester and tells some funny jokes and stuff. When it’s time to do your business, he’s business.

Bill Sheridan (safeties/special teams, 2001): We lost to Michigan State in Week 2 (in 2001) and in that third game we lost to Texas A&M, so we started the season out 0-3 and that really shook us. And we battled back and finished about .500, but it wasn’t good enough and they decided to move on from Coach Davie. But it was a good experience, and I enjoyed my time there very much.

Dave Borbely (offensive line, 1998-01): We were all about the same age, and we had a lot of fun. Urban and I used to hang out. We were all kind of neighbors. We all kind of lived either in the same subdivision or next door. Urban’s kids were the same age as mine. We’d go up to one of those amusement parks up in Chicago. Steve and I hung out quite a bit. We all hung out a lot together. Greg Mattison and I drank a ton of Jack Daniel’s together, and we had a lot of fun with each other. But it’s funny because Notre Dame’s one of those places — if you win it’s just kind of total relief, and when you lose it’s just devastating. We never really hung out much after a game because everybody just wanted 12 hours to themselves to kind of be with their families. But it was a bunch of great guys and I had a great time there and a bunch of good friends.

All of that and yet he sh!t the bed....it was like being handed the keys to a Lambo and wrecking the thing before leaving the driveway. They had talent and coaching but it just goes to show you the importance of the man in charge....They aren't the only program who has gone through similar eras....Texas for years and years, Miami-Coker/Shanihan, Michigan-Carr, OSU-Bruce...USC...Bama post Bear, OU post Switzer....all still had oodles of talent, coach's and support but not the right guy at the wheel.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
i hear ya. i just get sick of all the "culture" nonsense. if the culture isnt a winning one, then its a losing one. if nape wants to pat them on the bottom and read them a bedtime story he can apply for a position at the local daycare. that aint culture. it's pussification. i didnt think it could be worse than mac and his half time naps and pb&j's. at least that retard won more than he lost.
GA has culture! Getting arrested and winning games.
The KC Chiefs have culture! Getting arrested and winning games. Hell, even their coaching staff has been arrested.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Napier's done the easy thing so far, modeled the structure of the program to be similar to more successful programs. But coaching, planning execution, game management, practice/training are still what wins games. Winning on the field is the only thing that matters, ultimately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.