CBS Sports: 5 Coaches Most Likely to Win Their First National Title

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Wow. I expect the negativity, what's disturbing about this is how decidedly unfunny it is.

I really expect more out of you. You're better than this.

How about one of these:
1. As soon as Clara Bell gets out of that boot, it's gonna happen!
2. So there are only 4 other coaches that have a chance at winning it all? Not a good commentary on college football!
3. I disagree with this writer, and though I and many others have endlessly banged this drum ad nauseam, I'll burden you all with my lack of discretion and restraint and say it again. I don't like Mac and I don't think he can win anything of significance and that undermines my sense of worth and makes me miserable and malcontent.

See, don't you think one of those would have been better and more creative? Perhaps it's your prolific posting that is diminishing post quality. I need not go on and on. I'm sure you'll get it figured out. I'm rooting for you though!
:highfive:
Thanks?

NovaGator

Dec 10, 2015
Ooooof! Can't really argue w/ that list, sadly.
Buddy, sadly The University of Florida use to mean a lot more than it does today.
When Spurrier was on the sidelines, tossing that visor, UF was as good as anybody in the country.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The author is not referring to this season, but most likely to win an NC in their career.

http://florida.247sports.com/Galler...s-who-are-close-to-winning-their-fir-53109204

With Bob Stoops now retired, there are only four active coaches in the NCAA with a national title to their name. Tom Fornelli of CBS Sports gives five candidates who could break through and add their name to that list.

No. 5: Jim McElwain, Florida

CBS Sports says: "Figuring out this fifth spot was so damn difficult because there were a lot of coaches I could have gone with. It came down to McElwain and James Franklin, and I went with McElwain because while Alabama resides in the West, Franklin must deal with both Ohio State and Michigan within his own division. Plus, as Urban Meyer has shown us in recent years, you can definitely win national titles at Florida. You just have to figure out a way to get past Alabama, and if you can do that, well, you can get by everybody else too."

No. 4: Tom Herman, Texas

CBS Sports says: "Texas has been down for a few years, but that's been more a result of it not finding the right coach, not the program's ability to succeed. And everything you need in place to win a national title is available to you at Texas. We've already seen how Tom Herman can recruit at Houston, and now he's doing so with the Longhorns logo on his polo shirt. He's also coached in a lot of big games -- whether as an OC or while at Houston -- and won in such situations. I fully expect Texas to be receiving a College Football Playoff berth at some point in the next three years."

No. 3: Clay Helton, USC

CBS Sports says: "I don't know how great of a coach Clay Helton is. He might turn out to be one of the best in the country, or he might just be another coach at USC that fails to live up to expectations. Either way, as the coach at USC, he's a lot closer to winning a national title than plenty of others are. It's still USC, and it's still the premier program of the Pac-12. It's a lot like Texas in that its problems have revolved around the man in charge more than the program itself."

No. 2: Chris Petersen, Washington

CBS Sports says: "Chris Petersen is just a fantastic coach. We saw it at Boise State, and while I expected he'd turn Washington around, even I couldn't believe how quickly he not only got the Huskies to the top of the Pac-12, but to the College Football Playoff. Most of the coaches I considered for this list are here in large part because of the programs they're leading. When it comes to Petersen, as long as he's at a Power Five program, he's a candidate to win a national title. He's just that good."

No. 1: Jim Harbaugh, Michigan

CBS Sports says: "Harbaugh is considered a great coach by many. In fact, I would bet that if you told most college football fans that he's never even won a division title, let alone a conference title on the FBS level, they'd be caught by surprise. It's true, though. Still, even if it is, that doesn't mean he's not fully capable of doing so. While David Shaw has maintained it at Stanford, we must remember what that program was before Harbaugh built it up. Now he's rehabbing the Michigan program, and Michigan is one of the premier jobs in the country, and it's one of the few programs in the country that's capable of winning a national title. I don't know that Harbaugh will ever win one with the Wolverines, but if I had to bet on any of these coaches to do it, I can't help but consider him the favorite."

I couldn't help myself -had to bring this one back up in honor of Gator2222. :D

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Who wrote this abomination?
istock_000009176531xsmall.jpg

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Right! It means:
1. Playing in a crappy old, out-dated stadium.
2. Trailing both FSU and Miami in the recruiting wars.
3. Being stuck with 2ed tier head coaches unable to develop a quarterback at UF.
4. Begging cast-off quarterbacks to come in and try to lift the position up off the mat.
5. Being content to win the division only to be blown out in the SECCG.
6. Getting our asses handed to us, year after year, by that school to the west.
7. Being laughed at because we have a coach who resembles a donkey that refuses to use teeth whitener.

00O0O_7mQWebOtQht_600x450.jpg

"THE SWAMP!!"
Our stadium is not crappy nor outdated

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Mark Richt.

Too much of a stretch to think of a scUM-UGA matchup in the playoff?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb