Changes to the Program Already

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Window dressing! Randy is making a run at the full time job, as he should. Problem is he has about as much of a chance as Terry Bowden, Charlie Weis, Mark Mangino, or the Lame Kitten.
I don't care what it is as long it helps make gator football more bearable for the rest of the season.

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
For what it's worth, on Ackerman/Matthews radio show today, Brady stated that while he couldn't and wouldn't elaborate, he stated that he was very encouraged by some of the changes made already.

Apparently his son is on the team.

We shall see.......

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
I'd guess Nuss will be on the field now, instead of the press box.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Just posted Shannon not a candidate for HBC, enjoying the current situation and trying to do his best.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I'd guess Nuss will be on the field now, instead of the press box.

I hope and expect that Nuss will be told to change his approach to the game plan. I understand that the scripted plays worked better, if so script the entire game or first half. I bet we see a different QB as well, and some read option running QB. If Bama does some of this we should as well.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I hope and expect that Nuss will be told to change his approach to the game plan. I understand that the scripted plays worked better, if so script the entire game or first half. I bet we see a different QB as well, and some read option running QB. If Bama does some of this we should as well.

Someone posted our stats in another thread for our "scripted first drives" this year. It hasn't been nearly as good as last year was, so that's kinda a wash anyway.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Look they have playsheets and scripts for the entire game. They have plays for 2 min drill, plays for third and long, etc. The problem is it takes some recognition by the drunk guy in the box to understand what needs to be called. Certain plays are designed for zones, certain for man, certain for max protect or to help the right or left tackle etc if he is getting beaten.

Lack of adjustment during the game won't be fixed by better scripting.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
For what it's worth, on Ackerman/Matthews radio show today, Brady stated that while he couldn't and wouldn't elaborate, he stated that he was very encouraged by some of the changes made already.

Apparently his son is on the team.

We shall see.......

I can imagine Brady has some good intel w/ his son on the team. The son is a freshman walk-on LB.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

I posted this last week, but the "scripted" plays myth is complete BS. The scripted plays sucked too. Take a look:

The myth of Nussmeir/McElwain being good at "scripting" the opening drive/early game.

UF's first two drives of each game vs. rest of the game:

Florida in 2017:

Michigan:
First 2 drives: 9 plays - 44 yards - 3 points
Rest of Game: 44 plays -148 yards - 0 points

Tennessee:
First 2 Drives: 18 plays - 67 yards - 3 points
Rest of Game: 39 plays - 313 yards - 16 points

Kentucky:
First 2 Drives: 8 plays - 53 yards - 0 points
Rest of Game: 55 plays - 342 yards - 28 points

Vanderbilt:
First 2 Drives: 13 plays - 69 yards - 7 points
Rest of Game: 64 plays - 398 yards - 31 points

LSU:
First 2 Drives: 11 plays - 59 yards - 0 points
Rest of Game: 43 plays - 243 yards - 16 points

TAMU:
First 2 Drives: 16 plays - 64 yards - 3 points
Rest of Game: 52 plays - 307 yards - 14 points

Average:
First 2 drives all season: 75 plays, 356 yards, 4.75 Yards per play, 16 points, 22.25 YPP which is BAD
Rest of Game all season: 297 plays, 1751 yards, 5.89 Yards per play, 105 points, 16.68 YPP which is OK

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yep, that's the post I was telling him I'd seen in another thread. Thanks @BMF!

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Nuss is coaching for next year. How ****ed up will it be if we all of a sudden play offensive football at even just an average level?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Shannon on the QB situation (imagine this scenerio!!):

“We’ve got to put the quarterback in a situation where they’ll feel comfortable. We did a self scout and figured out what they can really do well. Those are things that you have to do,” Shannon said. “As coaches sometimes you get into the mode of, I think we can do this, we can do that, we can do this. Well, we’re sitting in the office from 7 o’clock in the morning to 10 or 11 o’clock at night. Yeah, we can do those things, but when you’ve got a young man that’s got to sit in there for 30 minutes and then go execute a lot of different things on the football field, that’s a little different. So we’ve got to make sure we do the things that he can do, whichever quarterback it is, and make us successful.”

So, they're going to do the things that the QB does (i.e. adjust the offense to whichever QB is in the game)? Wow!! What a concept!

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Apparently we practiced some ST's on Tuesday. Shannon said our ST's was terrible. Glad someone on that coaching staff took notice!!

Shellshock gone for Gators as they bounce around at practice
Florida players were loose and having fun at Tuesday's practice, just two days after Jim McElwain suddenly departed as coach.

https://florida.247sports.com/Bolt/...shock-gone-for-Gators-as-they-bounc-109768811

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Two days into Randy Shannon's tenure as interim coach some changes are already noticeable around the Florida program.

Stroll out to practice on Tuesday afternoon and you'd hear Tom Petty's "I Won't Back Down" over a portable tower speaker. Players belting out some of the chorus as they stretch, coaches and players joking around. Then Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean" comes on and a few players start flashing some moves.

You'd never know the team's coach had just been fired two days earlier.

"Coach Shannon just preaching, 'Go out there and have fun. Do your business. Everybody, you got to continue to work no matter what. We have games to play,'" receiver Brandon Powell said.

"That's all we needed to hear after something like that. Hearing coach Shannon just come out and say, 'Have fun.' That's all we needed to hear right there."

Shannon has put a few new twists on things.

The music was a big one Tuesday, as he broke practice up to be more game-like. Music played between reps on special teams kickoff drills, like it would be in a stadium.

Already Shannon feels like the team is over the initial shellshock of Jim McElwain's sudden departure as coach.

"Yeah, because we bounced around. We bounced around, everybody was doing all the right things," Shannon said. "Wasn't no false starts in practice, wasn't no offside penalties, wasn't no mental stuff. It wasn't anything mental. Usually when you have guys that are in another world they have a lot of mental stuff that happens. Today we had no mental breakdowns."

After a whirlwind of a weekend, the newly minted interim coach sees a bunch of players who are just ready to get back to some sense of normalcy.

"A lot of times that you do things to get away," Shannon said. "Some people say, well I go jog or I go ride a bike or I go fish. Well, football is a getaway for these young men."

For now, that means buckling down for a week of game prep ahead of a road trip to Missouri.

The Gators would love to snap a three-game skid and get back in the win column. It'd go a long way toward putting a painful Sunday in the rearview mirror.

"Everybody is just ready to compete and get on the field Saturday and win a game," running back Mark Thompsonsaid.

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
Brady Ackerman just dropped another important point about the changes occurring at practice.

Under Mac, the practice emphasis was to run as many different plays they could, to get it on film. If the play was run wrong, or a player ran the wrong route, nothing was addressed immediately until many hours later in the film room.

Under Shannon yesterday, the first time a mistake was made, practice was stopped to correct the issue and the play was run again.

After hearing that, I think it's miraculous that UF won any games under Mac with that practice strategy.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Brady Ackerman just dropped another important point about the changes occurring at practice.

Under Mac, the practice emphasis was to run as many different plays they could, to get it on film. If the play was run wrong, or a player ran the wrong route, nothing was addressed immediately until many hours later in the film room.

Under Shannon yesterday, the first time a mistake was made, practice was stopped to correct the issue and the play was run again.

After hearing that, I think it's miraculous that UF won any games under Mac with that practice strategy.

Good info from Brady. Agree, it's unbelievable how ugly and out of sorts our O has looked. The false starts are not just a lack of discipline, it's a lack of understanding the offense. There were a few illegal formation calls the last few weeks - because the kids don't know where to line up. It was a complete, 100% Charlie Foxtrot.

I'm starting to think we might have a chance against Missouri!!

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

''Just throw whatever you can as fast as possible on the dough and shove it in the oven. ''
- Chef Mac

images

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator