Charles Krauthammer dies

Discussion in 'Politics' started by crosscreekcooter, Jun 8, 2018.

1. crosscreekcooter

crosscreekcooter Cunning Linguist

Oxbucks:
    $1,367
    Ratings:
    +5,469 / -6
    Charles Krauthammer, the beloved and brilliant Fox News Channel personality who gave up a pioneering career in psychiatry to become a Pulitzer Prize-winning political analyst, on Friday revealed the heartbreaking news that he is in the final stages of a losing battle with cancer.

The 68-year-old’s incisive takes on politics of the day have been missing from Fox News Channel’s “Special Report” for nearly a year as he battled an abdominal tumor and subsequent complications, but colleagues and viewers alike had held out hope that he would return to the evening show he helped establish as must-viewing. But in an eloquent, yet unblinking letter to co-workers, friends and Fox News Channel viewers, Krauthammer disclosed that he has just weeks to live.

“I have been uncharacteristically silent these past ten months,” the letter began. “I had thought that silence would soon be coming to an end, but I’m afraid I must tell you now that fate has decided on a different course for me.”

"This is the final verdict. My fight is over.”

- Charles Krauthammer
    Krauthammer, who graduated from Harvard Medical School in 1975 despite a first-year diving accident that left him a quadriplegic, explained that he had a malignant tumor removed from his abdomen last August. Although a series of setbacks left him in the hospital in the ensuing months, he believed until recently that he was on the road to recovery.

“However, recent tests have revealed that the cancer has returned,” Krauthammer wrote. “There was no sign of it as recently as a month ago, which means it is aggressive and spreading rapidly. My doctors tell me their best estimate is that I have only a few weeks left to live. This is the final verdict. My fight is over.”

Rupert Murdoch, executive chairman of Fox News and its parent company, 21st Century Fox, said Krauthammer has been a giant of journalism and a key part of the channel's success.

"Charles has been a profound source of personal and intellectual inspiration for all of us at Fox News," Murdoch said. "His always principled stand on the most important issues of our time has been a guiding star in an often turbulent world, a world that has too many superficial thinkers vulnerable to the ebb and flow of fashion, and a world that, unfortunately, has only one Charles Krauthammer.

"His words, his ideas, his dignity and his integrity will resonate within our society and within me for many, many years to come," Murdoch added.

Fox News viewers will undoubtedly miss Krauthammer’s formidable intellect and ability to analyze politics and politicians with a cerebral wit and keen charm. As the dean of “The Fox News All Stars,” the panel of pundits who break down headlines and events nightly on Fox News Channel’s top-rated “Special Report,” Krauthammer could be counted on to make viewers think, question and even chuckle.
    Krauthammer was on his way to greatness in the medical field when he veered first into policy, and then into journalism. After medical school, he became chief psychiatry resident at Massachusetts General Hospital, where he studied depression and published ground-breaking findings in top medical journals. But in 1978, he took a job in the Carter administration directing planning in psychiatric research and later served as a speech writer for Vice President Walter Mondale.

It was in the nation’s capital that Krauthammer trained his mind and talents on political analysis and began penning columns for The New Republic, Time magazine and finally the Washington Post. In 1985, he won journalism’s top prize for his weekly political commentary. In his sobering farewell, Krauthammer said he is “grateful to have played a small role in the conversations that have helped guide this extraordinary nation’s destiny.”

“I leave this life with no regrets,” Krauthammer wrote. “It was a wonderful life – full and complete with the great loves and great endeavors that make it worth living. I am sad to leave, but I leave with the knowledge that I lived the life that I intended.”

I could not say this about my own impending death. Krauthammer is a brilliant man, didn't always care for his commentary, but through all of personal health problems he didn't allow them to really slow him down. I hope in the end he doesn't suffer.

• Concrete Helmet

Concrete Helmet Hook, Line, and Sinker
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $989
      Ratings:
      +5,231 / -134
      That's too bad. He always seemed to be a very rational and well spoken personality....sad.

• AlexDaGator

AlexDaGator The Hammer of Thor
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $1,723
        Ratings:
        +8,360 / -10
        Brilliant man.

Alex.

• Detroitgator

Detroitgator General Factotum
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $1,795
          Ratings:
          +8,347 / -14
          Loved him, but he lost me when Trump got elected.

• '78

'78 Dazed and Confused
            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
            $3,922
            Ratings:
            +9,804 / -234
            Always one of the brightest in the room. Very sad to hear he's this sick.

@DG ... What did he say?

• bradgator2

bradgator2 1/29/17 half marathon - 1 hour, 34 min, 2 secs
              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $1,448
              Ratings:
              +7,554 / -44
              Godspeed. Always stopped to listen to him when I saw he was on.

• Detroitgator

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $1,795
                Ratings:
                +8,347 / -14
                He had near complete TDS with no basis other than feeling/opinion. Very uncharacteristic of him

• '78

'78 Dazed and Confused
                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $3,922
                Ratings:
                +9,804 / -234
                Had to Google that. Trump Derangement Syndrome?

• itsgr82bag8r

itsgr82bag8r Political Forum Fire Starter
                  Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                  $1,398
                  Ratings:
                  +7,620 / -43
                  Perhaps it was partially a result of his disease. Then again, many have completely lost their minds over TDS.

• AlexDaGator

AlexDaGator The Hammer of Thor
                  Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                  $1,723
                  Ratings:
                  +8,360 / -10
                  I didn't always agree with him, but I did most of the time.

He was blessed with an extraordinary intellect.

Alex.

• Detroitgator

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                    $1,795
                    Ratings:
                    +8,347 / -14
                    Yeah, he went full Bill Kristol. I get that he detested Trump the man, and that’s fine, but he let it taint 100% he said about anything Trump was doing. It was sad to watch

• Detroitgator

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                      $1,795
                      Ratings:
                      +8,347 / -14
                      Waiting for Law to go full McCain on him ;)

• Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey poundmetoo!
                        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                        $10,638
                        Ratings:
                        +33,635 / -1,015
                        He isn't a McCain, but he is a full on swamp critter who loves big govt so long as big govt is serving big biz "establishment" republican.

#13 Swamp Donkey, Jun 8, 2018
                        Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
                        • '78

'78 Dazed and Confused
                          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                          $3,922
                          Ratings:
                          +9,804 / -234
                          My car brain wanted to say Turbo Diesel S series.

• itsgr82bag8r

itsgr82bag8r Political Forum Fire Starter
                            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                            $1,398
                            Ratings:
                            +7,620 / -43
                            Then going the TDI route would be cheaper and significantly better warranty!

• gardnerwebbgator

gardnerwebbgator Veritas Numquam Perit
                              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                              $880
                              Ratings:
                              +4,807 / -85
                              Agree with him or not, a very well spoken and researched commentator.

• Okeechobee Joe

Okeechobee Joe Lost Ball in High Grass
                                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                $1,615
                                Ratings:
                                +6,045 / -18
                                One of the best.

• 5-Star Finger

5-Star Finger Dexterous Member

Oxbucks:
                                $1,172
                                Ratings:
                                +1,218 / -5
                                I hate to admit it, but I cast a vote for Trump just to cancel the vote of a coworker I know was voting for Hillary. That was literally my rationale. His personality is very unlike mine. I'm beginning to think that his persona is based on a deep understanding of where reality TV America is at. That makes me sad; but at the same time has being more effective than I ever could have dared to hope.

As to the topic at hand - I think he was typically one of the most well-reasoned people in any conversation. It is a shame that he's going too soon.

• Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey poundmetoo!
                                  Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                  $10,638
                                  Ratings:
                                  +33,635 / -1,015
                                  Alinsky’s 13 Rules for Radicals:
                                  1. “Power is not only what you have, but what the enemy thinks you have.“ Power is derived from 2 main sources – money and people. “Have-Nots” must build power from flesh and blood.

2. “Never go outside the expertise of your people.“ It results in confusion, fear and retreat. Feeling secure adds to the backbone of anyone.

3. “Whenever possible, go outside the expertise of the enemy.“ Look for ways to increase insecurity, anxiety and uncertainty.

4. “Make the enemy live up to its own book of rules.“ If the rule is that every letter gets a reply, send 30,000 letters. You can kill them with this because no one can possibly obey all of their own rules.

5. “Ridicule is man’s most potent weapon.“ There is no defense. It’s irrational. It’s infuriating. It also works as a key pressure point to force the enemy into concessions.

6. “A good tactic is one your people enjoy.“ They’ll keep doing it without urging and come back to do more. They’re doing their thing, and will even suggest better ones.

7. “A tactic that drags on too long becomes a drag.“ Don’t become old news.

8. “Keep the pressure on. Never let up.
                                  Keep trying new things to keep the opposition off balance. As the opposition masters one approach, hit them from the flank with something new.

9. “The threat is usually more terrifying than the thing itself.“ Imagination and ego can dream up many more consequences than any activist.

10.“The major premise for tactics is the development of operations that will maintain a constant pressure upon the opposition.” It is this unceasing pressure that results in the reactions from the opposition that are essential for the success of the campaign.

11.If you push a negative hard enough, it will push through and become a positive.Violence from the other side can win the public to your side because the public sympathizes with the underdog.

12. “The price of a successful attack is a constructive alternative.“ Never let the enemy score points because you’re caught without a solution to the problem.

13. Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it. Cut off the support network and isolate the target from sympathy. Go after people and not institutions; people hurt faster than institutions.

Both Obama and Hillary Rodman are Alinsky acolytes, at least. HRC wrote a thesis on Alinsky, met him several times and claimed he asked her to join him after graduation. Obama literally grew up doing community organizing just as Alinsky describes, by people trained by the group Alinsky wanted Hillary to join and doing so in Alinsky's Chicago neighborhoods.

I don't know about Trump. Maybe he has studied Alinsky, maybe not. But the Dems (especially the Chicago Obama crowd) love to say that Trump beat them with their own game. Maybe he just naturally knows that the best thing to do with a punk is smack him in the mouth.

#19 Swamp Donkey, Jun 9, 2018
                                  Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
                                  • Frozen Gator

Frozen Gator Well-Known Member
                                    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                    $560
                                    Ratings:
                                    +1,163 / -8
                                    He appreciated proper use of the English language and manners to much over results.