Chauncey is my new favorite player

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You sold me. I just love his name. From a favorite movie with Peter Sellars. Being There.
If you don't smoke pot, you SHOULD. Or maybe I should and it's why I don't understand you most of the time.

Nuthin but love, Coach.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
If you don't smoke pot, you SHOULD. Or maybe I should and it's why I don't understand you most of the time.

Nuthin but love, Coach.
Chance (Peter Sellers) is a middle-aged man who lives in the townhouse of an old, wealthy man in Washington, D.C. He is simple-minded and has lived there his whole life, tending the garden. Other than gardening, his knowledge is derived entirely from what he sees on television. When his benefactor dies, Chance naively says he has no claim against the estate, and is ordered to move out. Thus he discovers the outside world for the first time.

Chance wanders aimlessly. He passes by a TV shop and sees himself captured by a camera in the shop window. Entranced, he steps backward off the sidewalk and is struck by a chauffeured car owned by Ben Rand (Melvyn Douglas), an elderly business mogul. In the car is Rand's much younger wife, Eve (Shirley MacLaine).

Eve brings Chance to their home to recover. She mishears "Chance, the gardener" as "Chauncey Gardiner." Chance is wearing expensive tailored clothes from the 1920s and '30s, which his benefactor had allowed him to take from the attic, and his manners are old-fashioned and courtly. When Ben Rand meets him, he takes "Chauncey" for an upper-class, highly educated businessman. Chance often misunderstands people and states the obvious, particularly about gardening, but his simple words are repeatedly misunderstood as profound, allegorical statements about life, business and the economy. Rand admires him, finding him direct, wise and insightful.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
ATX's title was like click bait "7 reasons Chauncey Gardner is my new favorite player, #3 will amaze you!". MaryAnn's title was informative as to what the thread was about. MaryAnn wins.

Are we really arguing about Thread Titles now?...

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Nuthin but love, Coach.
I knew exactly what Coach was talking about. :bandit:
'Being There' is a great movie starring Peter Sellers as Chance The Gardener (a simple-minded gardener for a large estate), but gets mistaken as Chauncey Gardiner and becomes an advisor to the President as a political philosopher, if you will. You should watch it, while stoned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb