Chris Cornell dead

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Respectfully disagree. It's the easy way out.

I know... I felt that way too until certain events transpired in my family.
Showed me a whole new way to look at it.
But ...honest question (and I don't know the answer to this one) -
Do you think he (Chris Cornell) would have agreed it was the easy way out given what he knew he was leaving behind?

I used to think ... "How could (insert name here) have been so selfish?" or... "Why didn't they just say something and get help?"
Not sure anymore if it is selfishness or hopelessness.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Depression is an angry beast and I'll never judge anyone who goes through the pits of hell fighting it. I know I have my tendencies towards depression and struggles but thankfully nothing on the level of suicide. Mental illness is not a joke and something that needs more discussion and understanding. What may seem like the "easy way" for some is the absolute last resort for others. It's terribly sad for every single person, including the person who takes their own life because they feel there is no other way.

In my opinion, suicide is the easy way out for someone who had just murdered someone or multiple people who doesn't want to face justice...that's a coward. For someone with a true mental illness, that may be the only escape they see. Selfish, maybe...but in their mind the only possible escape. That's heartbreaking.

Last edited:

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
But ...honest question (and I don't know the answer to this one) -
Do you think he (Chris Cornell) would have agreed it was the easy way out given what he knew he was leaving behind?

I used to think ... "How could (insert name here) have been so selfish?" or... "Why didn't they just say something and get help?"
One of my best friends in college, who had just moved into a different apartment shot himself the week before September 11 happened. At the time and for years many of us were angered, but after all the information that has come out since then about mental illness it is clear to us all now that he suffered from something as their were signs along the way. I think his biggest issue was pride of not wanting to admit/ask for help and how that would make him look as he considered himself a mans man and came from a tough guy family. Just agreeing with you that you have to be touched by it sometimes to somewhat understand and unfortunately I have been touched by it twice.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I have no idea, because I don't know the relationship between he and his family, but knowing he has a young daughter I'd say he has a responsibility to her as well.

I don't want to go down a path of who has worse war stories, but having suicide situations in family and close friends, it tends to compound the same feeling over and over. I certainly see the direct effects to those immediate partners.

There's always help available. Some just may not to ever really want it.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think his biggest issue was pride of not wanting to admit/ask for help and how that would make him look as he considered himself a mans man and came from a tough guy family
Bingo.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
but knowing he has a young daughter I'd say he has a responsibility to her as well.

This.
Agreed.
I cannot wrap my head around how someone can leave a loved one behind like this (e.g. son or daughter).
There has to be something really bad going on inside

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Depression is an angry beast and I'll never judge anyone who goes through the pits of hell fighting it. I know I have my tendencies towards depression and struggles but thankfully nothing on the level of suicide. Mental illness is not a joke and something that needs more discussion and understanding. What may seem like the "easy way" for some is the absolute last resort for others. It's terribly sad for every single person, including the person who takes their own life because they feel there is no other way.

In my opinion, suicide is the easy way out for someone who had just murdered someone or multiple people who doesn't want to face justice...that's a coward. For someone with a true mental illness, that may be the only escape they see. Selfish, maybe...but in their mind the only possible escape. That's heartbreaking.
Great post SQ.
It will be 3 years this month since my wife's sister took her life, and your post couldn't be more accurate.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Sorry to hear that, truly.
It's still difficult for my wife. A long story I won't get into, none of it good. Some of it her (SIL) own doing, much of it not.
The part of your post that struck me was "the only escape they see". It's just the truth.
Anyway thank you! :)

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's still difficult for my wife. A long story I won't get into, none of it good. Some of it her (SIL) own doing, much of it not.
Anyway thank you! :)
No need to go into detail. Like I said...it's a personal demon no one can truly relate to unless they face it personally. Here's hoping we get a better dialogue going in this country regarding this subject.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
It's sad how many are affected by mental illness and suicide. It's not selfish, it's not the easy way out. I would say many who take their life have been contemplating it for a long time and think it's a difficult decision. I'm lucky I found my dad when I did otherwise he might not be here today.

Gator by the Sea

Lifetime Member
Mar 9, 2017

Went to see Train two nights ago in Tampa (great show!) and they did an amazing cover of Black Hole Sun. I tried to post my personal video but the file is too big. So I found this on YouTube from a recent show in Texas. Nice tribute.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.