Christian McCaffrey Sitting Out Sun Bowl

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
There should be a minor league. Then it becomes a choice, instead of the only system in place is the free (to the NFL) minor league system of NCAA football.

That would cost the NFL money just like the World League or whatever it was called In Europe then. People in the US wouldn't show up to watch it. College at least has the tradition etc. that draws people in to watch it. Its much cheaper for Basketball to subsidize leagues like that than football.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That would cost the NFL money just like the World League or whatever it was called In Europe then. People in the US wouldn't show up to watch it. College at least has the tradition etc. that draws people in to watch it. Its much cheaper for Basketball to subsidize leagues like that than football.

Kind of my point, the NFL isn't going to do it until it can make them money. NFL Europe was a joke, because Europeans weren't going to go. The World League didn't have enough capitol to sustain.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
This is one of the many reasons I hate bowl games. From the kid's perspective, it is a smart move. If I were him, I wouldn't play either. This is what worries me about UF's game. Will Tabor, Wilson and the other NFL guys really be focused? Or will they have already checked out like VH3 did last year?

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This is what worries me about UF's game. Will Tabor, Wilson and the other NFL guys really be focused? Or will they have already checked out like VH3 did last year?

Oh I think you know the answer. We'll be starting McWilliams and McFly at CB for the bowl game. If I were the HC at Iowa, I'd be practicing nothing but bombs for bowl prep because I fully expect "Teez" if not Wilson too, to sit this one out for the same reason.

granitegator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Rice is a regular season game, there is a difference. A victory against Rice could potentially set them up for post season games that matter. This is a post season game that doesn't matter.
what did the win against Rice sett them up for? Oh yeah, the sun bowl.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
One major injury to a top ten pick and you'll see this happen a bunch.

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
Fournette is doing the same thing...not playing in LSU's bowl game. I don't understand that concept.
You would think the NFL values game tape more than how fast they run the 40 in gym shorts.
It doesn't matter, both know they will both get drafted, and rb is a hot commodity. They don't want to risk literally their entire future on one meaningless bowl game. If it were the playoff it would be a different story.

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
Why? Coaches bail on their players at a moments notice every season. This is where we are with sports. The guy has millions of dollars waiting for him in the very near future and he doesn't want to risk losing that. I have no problem with this.
Yea there is no loyalty to team, when your coach that recruits you will leave in a moment's notice for a bigger paycheck

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Also, this isn't new. In fact, didn't Kelvin Taylor decide to sit out last year's bowl? Or was it someone else the year before? Yeah, why was poopy pants Adam Lane starting at RB for our bowl against ECU 2 years ago?:scratchchin:

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
Call me crazy, but values mean more to me than money. I would want my son to recognize that not everything is a business decision. Loyalty to something bigger than yourself is not a bad thing. Or is "In All Kinds Of Weather" just a bunch of BS now?
I think everybody agrees with this, and wants there to be some sort of dignity/integrity/giving yourself up for the betterment of the team. And it used to be like that back in the good old days, but now kids don't committ to school with an ideal, they are solely interested in making millions. It's sad that our world today has gotten its priorities messed up, but the whole college sports scene is corrupt nowadays emphasizing the wrong ideals

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Also, this isn't new. In fact, didn't Kelvin Taylor decide to sit out last year's bowl? Or was it someone else the year before? Yeah, why was poopy pants Adam Lane starting at RB for our bowl against ECU 2 years ago?:scratchchin:
KT ran 11 times for 50 yards vs. Meatchicken.
Matt Jones sat out the bowl game vs. ECU, but I think it was because he was injured at the end of the year. KT only ran it 4 times for zero yards. Don't know if KT got hurt early on or what to allow Lane the majority of carries and I can't remember. :bandit:

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
In addition to the Sun Bowl (or insert obscure Company sponsored Bowl game here)
...Here's the problem:
Any team with half a pulse that can reach 6 wins goes to a bowl, so that means that a sh!t ton of bowls are on the docket to accommodate these teams. This waters down the overall quality (much like the crappy NFL Pro Bowl) and has little or no meaning.

If they want quality - raise the minimum number of games to qualify for a bowl to 8 wins.
That may not be the overall answer - but at least you'd have some watchable games.
Less bowl games - and some quality? Might lead to more competition for sponsorship and more money for the teams.
Give the Seniors some of that dough as a parting gift (not likely) to incent them to play - or at least show up.

Oh ...and in case you missed it:
Grambling State beat North Carolina Central in the Air Force Reserve Celebration Bowl.
Hopefully you DVR'd it.

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
Rather see a player do this then just go through the motions in the bowl game.
Exactly, you could see fournette in his last games not going 100 percent. I'd rather the no name backup playing 100percent to get the opportunity to get where the star is

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
e
In addition to the Sun Bowl (or insert obscure Company sponsored Bowl game here)
...Here's the problem:
Any team with half a pulse that can reach 6 wins goes to a bowl, so that means that a sh!t ton of bowls are on the docket to accommodate these teams. This waters down the overall quality (much like the crappy NFL Pro Bowl) and has little or no meaning.

If they want quality - raise the minimum number of games to qualify for a bowl to 8 wins.
That may not be the overall answer - but at least you'd have some watchable games.
Less bowl games - and some quality? Might lead to more competition for sponsorship and more money for the teams.
Give the Seniors some of that dough as a parting gift (not likely) to incent them to play - or at least show up.

Oh ...and in case you missed it:
Grambling State beat North Carolina Central in the Air Force Reserve Celebration Bowl.
Hopefully you DVR'd it.
good point, there are teams that make bowl games with losing records

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
You go to school to put you in the best position to get a high paying career. To make smart business decisions. The school has made more money off of him and his accomplishments than they have spent. But who should he be more loyal to, himself, his family or a school that will replace him next year regardless. The school will still be making money off of him after he leaves. I rather he be honest about why he is doing it, unlike the fake injuries that used to be a reason in the past.
This is so accurate. You can't get mad at the player for leaving early, when the school is the one profitting off him and he reaps no benefits except when he is drafted which is exactly why he chose to sit out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator