Chump says hold my beer....

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
It’s not that archaic at all. QB either keeps it or hands it off. Essentially what most offenses are doing these days anyway, except for the pass option.

If Paul Johnson can figure out how to incorporate the RPO with his QB under center, what’s the difference?

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
Had to give C2 a dislike. Tough day.
200.webp

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
SI article

Georgia Tech picked up a 49-28 victory while Georgia Southern earned a 34-14 upset win.

Yellow Jackets quarterback Tobias Oliver was 0-for-1 but ran for 215 yards and three scores. .

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Offensive football can be quite polarizing! Good points in many of the posts. No, we won't see a NC won at the major level by a team running an option/read based offense again anytime soon, but for us old geezers there is some pleasure in watching this type of offense when it is coached well and run properly, primarily because the techniques and reads have to be clean and consistent for it to work. After watching zone blocking schemes for the last several years that look to be dominated by linemen that stand straight up and seemingly retreat more than they attack, it is good to see an OL fire off low and with flat backs and perform a variety of blocks from the waist down. I guess the analogy here is that watching this type football is akin to me looking at an old scrapbook with pictures of my first car and a prom date. It was also a great challenge when I was coaching to prepare for an option team. We always played the assignment game and the easy part was teaching the kids the keys and their responsibilities; the hard part was replicating the option with the scout team at a speed close to what was coming on Friday night. If we had a good 7 technique we had a chance and if we didn't do anything else, we put a hat on the QB every play. I'll stop now before I feel something move :)

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Had to give C2 a dislike. Tough day.

Why?

And you may as well be completely honest because there’s NO answer that would prevent a lifetime ban. Ox might show you mercy, but it doesn’t mean you don’t deserve the ban.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I've been pleading with Law to etch the 114-89-1 career record on the Coryell statue in his master bath.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
After watching zone blocking schemes for the last several years that look to be dominated by linemen that stand straight up and seemingly retreat more than they attack, it is good to see an OL fire off low and with flat backs and perform a variety of blocks from the waist down.

Unless I know the crew I literally walk out with a rule book before every game so they don't flag my lineman coming off doubles for cutting down backside linebackers as they attempt to get over and help.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I think it's only archaic because it's not flashy enough, and it's not used in the NFL. Therefore, kids with aspirations of playing on Sunday's won't play for a team with this type of offense. If GT had Florida's talent, they'd shred through the ACC.

It's actually remarkable that he gets any athletic talent whatsoever. As you say, he basically has to sit across from recruits and their parents and admit that as an OL/RB/WR/QB, there's basically nothing that we'll do over the next 4 years that will prepare you for a shot at the next level. And it's unlikely we'll be winning anything of consequence at the collegiate level either, because sooner or later we'll have an opposing offense get a lead on us and this style has no chance of mounting a comeback, unless the opposing team is coached by Mark Richt...wait, ok so maybe once a year. Did I mention that you'll play in a town that's dominated by your biggest rival, who'll routinely bark at you from the window of their buy-here-pay-here mid 2000's truck? In fact, you won't even be second fiddle, as at least 4 other major SE schools have a bigger presence in Atlanta than you do. Anyway, let's see, did we get everything...8-9 wins, no titles, no NFL prep, barking morons, 5th place....Yep, that covers it. So, are you ready to become a yellowjacket?

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
Did I mention that you'll play in a town that's dominated by your biggest rival, who'll routinely bark at you from the window of their buy-here-pay-here mid 2000's truck?

I don't care who you are, that right there is funny to anyone who has ever had the misfortune of living in Georgia.

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
It's actually remarkable that he gets any athletic talent whatsoever. As you say, he basically has to sit across from recruits and their parents and admit that as an OL/RB/WR/QB, there's basically nothing that we'll do over the next 4 years that will prepare you for a shot at the next level. And it's unlikely we'll be winning anything of consequence at the collegiate level either, because sooner or later we'll have an opposing offense get a lead on us and this style has no chance of mounting a comeback, unless the opposing team is coached by Mark Richt...wait, ok so maybe once a year. Did I mention that you'll play in a town that's dominated by your biggest rival, who'll routinely bark at you from the window of their buy-here-pay-here mid 2000's truck? In fact, you won't even be second fiddle, as at least 4 other major SE schools have a bigger presence in Atlanta than you do. Anyway, let's see, did we get everything...8-9 wins, no titles, no NFL prep, barking morons, 5th place....Yep, that covers it. So, are you ready to become a yellowjacket?

You left out the GT degree part. Those dudes are set up for life with that Yellow Jacket sheepskin.

Last edited:

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
A couple of things:

- Fuente is flaming out hard at VT. Maybe he's got some young talent waiting to mature and they'll be better next year, but this is year 3 for him and he's gotten steadily worse.

- There are a lot of rumblings that Ga Tech is going to make a coaching change....but Johnson keeps pulling wins off that he shouldn't and likely makes a bowl game this year. I'd like to see another coach go there and try to compete, at least occasionally, w/ UGA. I'm tired of UGA "owning" the state recruiting wise - sure, they'll always get their share, but I want to see some competition for recruits...and on the field (maybe a win every 4 or 5 years vs. UGA).

At least Tech, unlike Vandy, takes football seriously. However, they don’t have soft majors like “recreation and leisure studies”. http://career.uga.edu/uploads/documents/wcidwami/Recreation%20and%20Leisure%20Studies.pdf

Majors and Degree Programs

They won’t contend with UGA for top recruits in the foreseeable future.

I’d like to see a “Kudzu League”, a southern Ivy League, that would include Ga Tech, Duke, Wake Forest, Vandy, etc.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
If you want to see a team, and it's fan base demoralized..go back and watch the second half of the GT/VT game. They flat ran the ball down their throat and never changed jack shyt about what they were doing. VT's defense just laid down, gave up and said fk it. The stands were clearing out at the end of the 3rd quarter and I think they rolled that little cannon they like to fire into the shed. Bud Foster started drinking midway through the second half (they don't call him "Bud" for nothing).

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.