Clay Travis coaching predictions: Mullen to UT, and others

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaterGator

Mmmm Taters
Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2014
amber is the same UT choade that was around under a different name over the summer/fall period last year. We outted him then and he's not fooling anyone now. Wish I could remember his goofyass name, but just like now, he had a goofyass dork for an avatar, except the last one made this one look like Clark Gable.

:popcorn:

Windy City Gator

Banned
BANNED
Oct 26, 2017
I am still baffled why no one is mentioning Charlie Strong???? He has over 15 years in Gville....he was hired by the HBC as a GA....part of TWO National Championship teams. Has been the head coach at three schools. The UT gig did not go as well as all had hoped. I firmly believe he was undermined....But he had a high powered offense at L'ville mostly due to SoFla kids (Bridgewater) and we got to see if first hand in the Sugar Bowl. He is someone that would not be intimidated by SOS down the hall...hell, he will embrace it!!! He knows how to recruit the state of Florida...has the clout to put together a good, experienced staff. To me, he has so many more qualities I would look for in a HBC than Mullen, Frost, Fuente, etc. JUST MY THREE CENTS.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I would definitely prefer CS to many of the names mentioned (Mullins, Taggart-- I know that no one serious mentions him, Fuente-- who hasn't had an offense before or after Norvelle) but I admit I'm just a CS fan. It probably doesn't make any logical sense.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I couldn't disagree more. The only place hes had sustained success and built a bit of lore is the midwest at TT. Nebraska is just up the road. Leach back in the B12 is a no brainer.

Agreed. One thing that hasn’t been mentioned is that WSUs AD just got hired by Nebraska about a month ago.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
I am still baffled why no one is mentioning Charlie Strong???? He has over 15 years in Gville....he was hired by the HBC as a GA....part of TWO National Championship teams. Has been the head coach at three schools. The UT gig did not go as well as all had hoped. I firmly believe he was undermined....But he had a high powered offense at L'ville mostly due to SoFla kids (Bridgewater) and we got to see if first hand in the Sugar Bowl. He is someone that would not be intimidated by SOS down the hall...hell, he will embrace it!!! He knows how to recruit the state of Florida...has the clout to put together a good, experienced staff. To me, he has so many more qualities I would look for in a HBC than Mullen, Frost, Fuente, etc. JUST MY THREE CENTS.

Primarily because Charlie Strong failed and failed miserably at Texas. Whether you want to believe he was undermined or not, the fact of the matter is that he missed bowl games and lost to Kansas while there.

I'd also like to point out that only two of the years at Louisville did he have more than 7 wins and that's largely due to Bridewater. Breaking it down further, the year Louisville made it to the Sugar Bowl they beat one ranked team and that was us. They had lost to Syracuse and Connecticut that year. The next year he again did not beat a single ranked team. In fact his entire time coaching I believe he only has 5 or 6 wins against ranked teams.

His Texas record of 16-21 shows that he cannot win at this level. He is a perfect fit for the G5 level but I'd not hire him for anything other than D-Coordinator at the P5 level.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Enlighten me....i am open to hearing other's opinion. Everyone will have a wart. Just a matter who has the most, biggest and where the warts are located.
i was going to answer, but the response by ferg above is more than sufficient. He's an absolutely dreadful HC that takes decent talent and finds a way to stink worse than Mac did with it. There's no school that recruits itself better than Texas and look how absolutely dreadful they were under him. Not only was their record awful but watching them was absolutely putrid. For whatever reason he is good as a DC, but when given the responsibility of personnel decisions, staff hires, team and program philosophy, and being charged with guiding and leading a team and program, he fails in epic fashion.

He's also played the race card in the past when asked why he wasnt given HC jobs earlier in his career. Well guess what, he got his shot and will go down as one of the absolute worst hires Texas ever made.

NovaGator

Dec 10, 2015
WTF? You have a link to all those quotes or did you pull that nonsense out of your butt?

Frost has no intention of going to Nebraska.

Ox, why would post such a remark?
You base your opinion that Frost would have no interest in the Nebraska job if offered on what? From what I can gather
the Husker crowd consider Frost a done deal if they jettison their current guy. I can't find anything that shows Frost would reject the offer out of hand. In fact he has stated that he has good feelings about the place. If Florida and Nebraska both come at him at the same time my guess is
that Nebraska being his Alma Mater will weigh heavily in his decision.
As for Mac, he continues to insist that the death threats to him and some of the players were true, but won't elaborate on how they were
delivered. It's easy to imagine that he is bitter about how his tenure at UF played out. I doubt that his opinion of UF would carry much weight, but I can't imagine him giving much of a recommendation of Gainesville if he were to be asked.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(This was taken from an interview Frost gave in 2012.)

Would Nebraska turn to Frost or go after some bigger name? And if offered the job, would Frost take it?
But suggesting he’d reject it out of hand because of remaining bad feelings for the state and fans would appear off the mark.

“I think Nebraska’s biggest natural resource is its people,” said Scott. “There are good people there. Good, hardworking people. That’s the best thing about Nebraska. I miss Nebraska.”

In the end, he was philosophical about his whole experience at the university. He said he learned a lot from what he went through. And he suspected Husker fans did, too.

“It made me a man,” he’d say of those years. “We’re supposed to rejoice in our suffering and our trials. I don’t think any success would be as sweet if it came easily.”

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-7_21-44-44.png
    upload_2017-11-7_21-44-44.png
    95 bytes · Views: 57

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I couldn't disagree more. The only place hes had sustained success and built a bit of lore is the midwest at TT. Nebraska is just up the road. Leach back in the B12 is a no brainer.

The state of Texas, and therefore Texas Tech, isn’t in the midwest; it’s in the southwest and Nebraska is hardly just up the road. TT is closer to the country of Mexico than it is to Lincoln. The other issue is Nebraska is not in the B12, they are in the Big 10, so Leach going to Nebraska wouldn’t return him to the conference where he had sustained success. Also, the offenses that Leach had success with are very different from Nebraska’s famed offenses of decades ago. It’s 2 completely different identities. You’re certainly entitled to your opinion but I still say it’s not a good fit. I’m also not sure Leach’s personality would mesh too well with the conservative Nebraska folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member