Clemson QB to transfer to Missouri

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Among Muschamp’s biggest mistakes.

And it wasn’t just the QB position. It blew up that Dwyer group and this development and depth. It screwed up that recruiting pipeline and probably divided the locker room.

I still don’t understand the “my guy” philosophy. Brissett wasn’t chump’s guy, Grier wasn’t mac’s guy... How stubborn, arrogant and flat-out stupid do you have to be to chose personal pride over the QB who gives you the best chance to win??? ESPECIALLY when you just arrived and are trying to rebuild with a roster you inherited?

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I still don’t understand the “my guy” philosophy. Brissett wasn’t chump’s guy, Grier wasn’t mac’s guy... How stubborn, arrogant and flat-out stupid do you have to be to chose personal pride over the QB who gives you the best chance to win??? ESPECIALLY when you just arrived and are trying to rebuild with a roster you inherited?

Early on I think Driskell & Brissett were pretty close, and maybe Driskell’s legs were a bit of an advantage. But it came clear who was the better passer, leader & reader of defenses. Water over the dam but that’s what I thought.

Politigator

L-boy's Cousin
BANNED
Oct 5, 2018
Early on I think Driskell & Brissett were pretty close, and maybe Driskell’s legs were a bit of an advantage. But it came clear who was the better passer, leader & reader of defenses. Water over the dam but that’s what I thought.

Ultimately it is the coaches responsibility to identify talent. But at the time it wasn't obvious that Brisset had that level of talent. When Brantley went down neither he nor Driskell lit the world on fire.

Between Scam Newton, Brisset and Grier we have had terrible luck, but some of that was self inflicted.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014

Both struggled as freshmen, but there was a lot of rumor that JB never had a legit shot to start because JD was chump’s recruit. With the benefit of the rear view mirror, JB certainly looks like the better pro QB. Makes you wonder...

BluH2OGtr

May 28, 2016
Is there any word on when Bryant will make a decision? I’m not a member of any VIP sites, and it just seems to keep dragging on

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Is there any word on when Bryant will make a decision? I’m not a member of any VIP sites, and it just seems to keep dragging on
Arkansas is speculated as the frontrunner because of his relationship with Chad Morris, who recruited him at Clemson.

The Lateral Move

Oct 9, 2018
Arkansas is speculated as the frontrunner because of his relationship with Chad Morris, who recruited him at Clemson.

I was not expecting this. That would be such a weird destination if there are other big time programs that are highly interested in him

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It also means he already knows most of the playbook. Arky probably should be somewhat confident.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Franks has twice the upside of either of those castaways
I'm not for pursuing these guys but Franks hasn't got twice the upside of anybody, not even LDR or Austin Appleby. In fact, it scares me that Cousin Eddie might insist on starting the airhead next year as well.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
We push for neither. Franks has twice the upside of either of those castaways, and the combo of Freshman and commits do as well. And best of all,they haven’t quit on their team at the first sign of adversity. Sick of the garage sale mindset.
I don't care about pursuing the transfers either, but if we go into next season with Franks as the starter there is going to be mass suicides among the Gator Nation, and that opinion has nothing to do with his gross immaturity and attitude issues. His only "upside" may be that he can get the ball within 7 yards of a receiver instead of 10. The people in the first few rows need to start wearing protection.

Hopefully we're in the final 3 games of the Franks era. I want to be able to throw the ball downfield next season for the first time in a decade.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Hopefully we're in the final 3 games of the Franks era. I want to be able to throw the ball downfield next season for the first time in a decade.

Franks showed some real grit yesterday but his reaction to the crowd was telling. Great QBs don’t respond to provocations like that. I’ve seen plenty - Marino & Brady included - get emotional but always between the lines and among their team. Yes, he’s young, but he’s wired for distraction. That doesn’t bode well for his future, unless at TE.

Implicit in your hope is that one of the Joneses seizes the starting role from Franks. I agree.

Franks’ upside is like Bentley’s - good, maybe better year to year, maybe a New Year’s Day bowl if all goes well, but not going to get a ring.

And I doubt Bryant is the answer. Why did Lawrence pass him? Because he can make the throws you describe, threatening the defense 20 yards downfield, and Bryant can’t consistently. Same with Hurts.

leogator

May 5, 2018
Franks showed some real grit yesterday but his reaction to the crowd was telling. Great QBs don’t respond to provocations like that. I’ve seen plenty - Marino & Brady included - get emotional but always between the lines and among their team. Yes, he’s young, but he’s wired for distraction. That doesn’t bode well for his future, unless at TE.

Implicit in your hope is that one of the Joneses seizes the starting role from Franks. I agree.

Franks’ upside is like Bentley’s - good, maybe better year to year, maybe a New Year’s Day bowl if all goes well, but not going to get a ring.

And I doubt Bryant is the answer. Why did Lawrence pass him? Because he can make the throws you describe, threatening the defense 20 yards downfield, and Bryant can’t consistently. Same with Hurts.
Well Lawrence is not available so...Kelly Bryant is a career 66% passer and this year was averaging 8.6 yds per attempt. I cannot take Franks for another year.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
:lmao2: 17 pages and 20,000 box posts and he isn't even interested in visiting?

How will @MotownGator take this? I thought this was a done deal? I guess he doesn't want to back up Jalen Hurts and all the other QBs who are transferring in.

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
You'll be eating those words when Franks leads us to victory over the defending National Champions on New Years Day.....
Besides it wouldn't matter if we had Fran Freakin Tarkenton....Mullen ain't going downfield more than 3 or 4 times a game....

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
:lmao2: 17 pages and 20,000 box posts and he isn't even interested in visiting?

How will @MotownGator take this? I thought this was a done deal? I guess he doesn't want to back up Jalen Hurts and all the other QBs who are transferring in.
giphy.gif

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
My guess is it's because he's a beta male. Mullen wants an alpha dude to run between the tackles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator