Clemson QB to transfer to Missouri

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If Mullen likes his skill set, I’d at least put a feeler out to gauge his interest. Competition is never a bad thing. I agree that he doesn’t have Franks’ upside, but Feleipe’s physical tools often compensate for his lack of grasp of the offense from a mental standpoint. I think Bryant is better than he’s played this season at Clemson and better than Franks in the short term. He’s the kind of veteran prototypical dual threat QB that Mullen covets in this offense. Also, he did lead Clemson to the Playoff not very long ago. He’s not Deshaun Watson, but he is an older guy that has played in a lot of big games. Maybe he isn’t interested, but you can’t tell me we would be worse off with him on the roster.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
You might start getting a situation where every blue chip recruited QB bolts after a few games if they are beat out by someone that has the same or more eligibility remaining.
Captain obvious. Why should they not ?

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
We push for neither. Franks has twice the upside of either of those castaways, and the combo of Freshman and commits do as well. And best of all,they haven’t quit on their team at the first sign of adversity. Sick of the garage sale mindset.
Wow, you are all in on FF. Bryant would automatically be the best QB and best fit QB on our team the moment he stepped on campus. You're talking about a 66% career completion percentage guy vs Franks at 54%. Kelly 1200 yards rushing, Franks 130. He would be a great fit for Mullen's offense.

But as tempting as it would be to pursue him, I think it would be a bad idea. We have a starter plus the guys who are supposed to be the future on campus or committed so it sends a bad message to recruits if you are always chasing grad transfers. But if he ended up here I sure as hell wouldn't complain about it.

Ohh, and don't kid yourself about integrity. If EJ had taken the starting job from FF, he would be transferring this year also, just like our other QB's and other players who could see the writing on the wall.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Be careful comparing numbers between FF and Bryant. I wouldn't include anything FF did under Butters. So maybe compare Bryant's first 4 games worth of numbers from last year to FF's first four this year.

I haven't done so but think you'll be surprised.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm more interested in getting as many big uglies as we can get for our lines.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If would have taken another snap, his college career would have been over. I can't blame him for not wanting to ride the pine his final year.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
"Beginning in October, Division I student-athletes will have the ability to transfer to a different school and receive a scholarship without asking their current school for permission.

The Division I Council adopted a proposal this week that creates a new “notification-of-transfer” model. This new system allows a student to inform his or her current school of a desire to transfer, then requires that school to enter the student’s name into a national transfer database within two business days. Once the student-athlete’s name is in the database, other coaches are free to contact that individual.

“The membership showed today that it supports this significant change in transfer rules,” said Justin Sell, chair of the Division I Transfer Working Group and athletics director at South Dakota State. “I’m proud of the effort the Transfer Working Group put forth to make this happen for student-athletes, coaches and schools.”

The previous transfer rule, which required student-athletes to get permission from their current school to contact another school before they can receive a scholarship after transfer, was intended to discourage coaches from recruiting student-athletes from other Division I schools. The rule change ends the controversial practice in which some coaches or administrators would prevent students from having contact with specific schools. Conferences, however, still can make rules that are more restrictive than the national rule."

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Wow, you are all in on FF. Bryant would automatically be the best QB and best fit QB on our team the moment he stepped on campus. You're talking about a 66% career completion percentage guy vs Franks at 54%. Kelly 1200 yards rushing, Franks 130. He would be a great fit for Mullen's offense.

But as tempting as it would be to pursue him, I think it would be a bad idea. We have a starter plus the guys who are supposed to be the future on campus or committed so it sends a bad message to recruits if you are always chasing grad transfers. But if he ended up here I sure as hell wouldn't complain about it.

Ohh, and don't kid yourself about integrity. If EJ had taken the starting job from FF, he would be transferring this year also, just like our other QB's and other players who could see the writing on the wall.

I understand your logic, but I’m in wait and see mode with Franks. He’s looked better under Mullen this year, but he is still too inconsistent. Aside from having a big arm and making the spectacular play every now in then, he seems to struggle with the mental side of the game and the advanced nuances that it takes to become elite at the position. I hope Franks continues to develop, but a guy like Bryant is ideal for players like EJ, Jalon Jones, and Richardson to learn under. Franks isn’t an ideal fit for this offense.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Be careful comparing numbers between FF and Bryant. I wouldn't include anything FF did under Butters. So maybe compare Bryant's first 4 games worth of numbers from last year to FF's first four this year.

I haven't done so but think you'll be surprised.
His completion percentage is actually lower this year than last year. Technically most of his games weren't under Butters last year by the way.

Feleipe Franks College Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

Kelly Bryant College Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

Bryant has been very consistent completing 2/3rds of his passes. There's a reason NFL scouts pay so much attention to that stat.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I've never been all that impressed with Kelly's game as a passer.If he is anything like his brother
I wouldn't want him near the locker room. We have a guy who is improving , another learning
while hopefully taking a redshirt and a very good prep QB committed. No thanks regarding KB.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

It's actually not that I'm all in on Franks. I just think he does have solid upside, and has played really well in his first year of actual coaching. I just prefer coaching up the talent we have and building more organically, as opposed to this seemingly never-ending game of fix the hole we've played for close to a decade. And it would likely damage our standing with kids who we could have for the next 3-4 years, all for a hope that we get one good year out of it.

But to take it a step further, just as it's a bad message from a recruiting standpoint, how does it benefit our current QB(s) to say, "thanks for a big win in Knoxville, and let's get another one this Saturday...and oh, btw, we're pursuing a transfer who obviously wants to start, because we don't like you, or you, and think you're still a few years away...anyway, like I said, let's go get'em this weekend".

As for the integrity part, no I don't expect it per se. I just think we're making it worse by our catering to a select few and putting the greater good of the team in harm's way. Also, while I'd still be disappointed in Franks' decision to leave, I could be a little more understanding considering it is totally different coach and offense than what he signed on for. This isn't about a change that doesn't fit a skill set. This is about saying if I can't start(because I was beaten out by a true Freshman) then forget my team, I'm leaving.

It just goes against every facet of the competition mindset.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
"Beginning in October, Division I student-athletes will have the ability to transfer to a different school and receive a scholarship without asking their current school for permission.

The Division I Council adopted a proposal this week that creates a new “notification-of-transfer” model. This new system allows a student to inform his or her current school of a desire to transfer, then requires that school to enter the student’s name into a national transfer database within two business days. Once the student-athlete’s name is in the database, other coaches are free to contact that individual.

“The membership showed today that it supports this significant change in transfer rules,” said Justin Sell, chair of the Division I Transfer Working Group and athletics director at South Dakota State. “I’m proud of the effort the Transfer Working Group put forth to make this happen for student-athletes, coaches and schools.”

The previous transfer rule, which required student-athletes to get permission from their current school to contact another school before they can receive a scholarship after transfer, was intended to discourage coaches from recruiting student-athletes from other Division I schools. The rule change ends the controversial practice in which some coaches or administrators would prevent students from having contact with specific schools. Conferences, however, still can make rules that are more restrictive than the national rule."
I see two rules at play here, the one above and the one that states you can play four games before you lose a year of eligibility, but my understanding is Bryant and Lemons would save a year, but still have to sit next year. Unless they get a special circumstance waiver. Please let me know if I'm wrong.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I see two rules at play here, the one above and the one that states you can play four games before you lose a year of eligibility, but my understanding is Bryant and Lemons would save a year, but still have to sit next year. Unless they get a special circumstance waiver. Please let me know if I'm wrong.

I'm looking for clarification on it from official NCAA sources now with little luck.

Bryant would fall under the graduate transfer exemption.....Lemons will be lucky to have grades to transfer.

If anyone has definitive answers to the 2 semesters, not summer, sit out rule, please post them up with links.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Lawrence is the real deal, and is about as sure as it gets for a top 5 lock in the 21' draft.
Clemson is making the correct choice here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.