CNN headline: Trudeau Canadians won't be pushed around

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Swamp Donkey, Jun 9, 2018.

1. AugustaGator

AugustaGator Junior Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $1,338
    Ratings:
    +4,152 / -61
    Grand idea!

2. AugustaGator

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $1,338
    Ratings:
    +4,152 / -61
    That’s all the euros I know. They love it here.

The ones that don’t I’m glad they want to go back

• g8tr72

g8tr72 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
      $1,708
      Ratings:
      +4,552 / -16
    • Concrete Helmet

Concrete Helmet Hook, Line, and Sinker
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $1,349
      Ratings:
      +5,604 / -138
      That's what I've found. There is just something about having a reasonable chance for success that opens their eyes once they are here for a couple of years.....I'm not sure how big the middle class in Europe is or if there is in fact even a middle class, but most of the Chefs I worked with told me that owning your own home is out of reach for most there. Funny because here it is almost a prerequisite for being middle class and almost ridiculously easy for anyone with at least a trade or even a laborer with a strong work ethic...I guess The American Dream is still alive and well....

• g8tr72

g8tr72 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
        $1,708
        Ratings:
        +4,552 / -16
        Getting hotter.....

https://apnews.com/a2be8832bbe7437c...akes-up-fight-against-'back-stabbing'-Trudeau

I smell a nickname coming.....

• itsgr82bag8r

itsgr82bag8r Political Forum Fire Starter
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $1,778
          Ratings:
          +8,207 / -44
          Why am I not surprised by you trying to defend an organization that’s become so feckless that it has Saudi Arabia, Iraq, China & Afghanistan, among other countries, that treat women like property, on the committee. Then they demand the US pay for a hugely disproportionate share of the orgs bills.

You obviously don’t know much about the world prior to its formation. The UN is no longer what it was designed for. It needs to go somewhere else.

• TLB

TLB Just chillin'
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $1,570
          Ratings:
          +4,078 / -42
          This idea (not you, or your words specifically) has been bugging me a bit lately. How much does the US pay, and how is that amount determined? A quick google search provides the following, if anyone is interested:

Funding the United Nations: What Impact Do U.S. Contributions Have on UN Agencies and Programs?

Pretty good article with a diagram showing where our money goes in foreign aid.

Who actually funds the UN and other multilaterals?

HOW WE ARE FUNDED (from UN site)

Most all reference some complex formula, but as I expected it is based upon a country's population and wealth/economy. None of them spell out the formula, but several of the articles reference that there is an apportioned (mandatory) amount and a voluntary amount - the US provides both. It's obvious we carry a much larger share than anyone else, but I didn't dig deep enough to determine how much is being required of us versus our voluntary amount.

I cannot help but accept that as one of the largest countries both in population AND wealth, that we are in a position to have the highest assessment. I could see us cutting back significantly on voluntary contributions initially. But when it comes to mandatory assessment, it really feels like if we want to stay in we owe the biggest share of the pie - reduction won't likely work. Yeah, I suppose there could be budget cuts to bring the total funding down, and thereby lower our amount owed, but it seems like that would lower the amount for everyone and not really address the % assessed of us. It also seems like the assessment is agreed upon by all (or at least the larger) members, so we have one vote and I don't see anyone else backing us up in a reallocation of the %, which again leads us to an exit position with the UN.

I guess where I'm going is that I didn't understand what is our 'fair share' either in our minds or the minds of other countries. I just know we are one of the biggest and one of the richest, so I expected a bigger share of the bill.

• Frozen Gator

Frozen Gator Well-Known Member
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $630
          Ratings:
          +1,233 / -10
          I think UN stands for unAmerican.

• Ancient Reptile

Ancient Reptile Senior Member

Oxbucks:
            $1,169
            Ratings:
            +1,817 / -100
            I understand your discomfort. They came around on NATO, however, and they may yet come around on trade. European nations just spent more on NATO than they have since the cold war. And they cussed Trump roundly before they did what they knew they should do. Might happen again.

#49 Ancient Reptile, Jun 11, 2018
            Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
            • AugustaGator

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $1,338
              Ratings:
              +4,152 / -61
              Only a few own their own homes and their ability to have a job for life (do not have to worry about getting shafted by job move in downturn) baffles me. They have no problem paying rent for life and not having anything to pass down to family.