Coach Ellenson's letter to the team before the 62 TAM game

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Robbie A. discussed it and reprinted it in the Sun. btw they crushed a good TAM team after he read it to them,

Here is the letter each player received the day before that Texas A&M game in l962:

Dear _____ :

It's late at night. The offices are all quiet and everyone has finally gone home. Once again my thoughts turn to you all.

The reason I feel I have something to say to you is because what need now more than anything else are a little guidance and maybe a little starch for your backbone. You are still youngsters and unknowingly, you have not steeled yourselves for the demanding task of 60 full minutes of exertion required to master a determined opponent. This sort of exertion takes two kinds of hardness. Physical, which is why you are pushed hard in practice-and mental, which comes only from having to meet adversity and whipping it.

Now all of us have adversity-different kinds maybe-but adversity. Just how we meet these troubles determines how solid a foundation we are building our life on; and just how many of you stand together to face our team adversity will determine how solid a foundation our team has built for the rest of the season.

No one cruises along without problems. It isn't easy to earn your way through college on football scholarship. It isn't easy to do what is expected of you by the academic and the athletic. It isn't easy to remain fighting when others are curling around you or when your opponent seems to be getting stronger while you seem to be getting weaker. It isn't easy to continue good work when others don't appreciate what you're doing. It isn't easy to go hard when bedeviled by aches, pains and muscle sprains. It isn't easy to rise up when you are down. The pure facts of life are that nothing is easy. You only get what you earn and there isn't such a thing as "something for nothing." When you truly realize this-then and only then will you begin to whip your adversities.

If you'll bear with a little story, I'll try to prove my point. One midnight, January 14, l945, six pitiful American soldiers were hanging onto a small piece of high ground in a forest somewhere near Bastone, Belgium. This high ground had been the objective of an attack launched by 1,000 men that morning. Only these six made it. The others had been turned back, wounded, lost or killed in action. These grimy, cruddy six men were all that were left of a magnificent thrust of 1,000 men. They hadn't had any sleep other than catnaps for over 72 hours. The weather was cold enough to freeze the water in their canteens. They had no entrenching tools, no radio, no food-only ammunition and adversity. Twice a good-sized counter attack had been launched by the enemy, only to be beaten back because of the dark and some pretty fair grenade heaving.

The rest of the time there were incessant mortars falling in the general area and the trees made for dreaded tree bursts, which scatter shrapnel like buckshot. The attackers were beginning to sense the location of the six defenders. Then things began to happen. First, a sergeant had a chunk of shrapnel tear into his hip. Then a corporal went into shock and started sobbing.

After more than six hours of the constant mortar barrage and two close counter attacks, and no food since maybe the day before yesterday, this was some first-class adversity. Then another counter attack, this one making it to the small position. Hand-to-hand fighting is a routine military expression. I have not the imagination to tell you what this is really like. A man standing up to fight with a shattered hip bone, saliva frothing at his mouth, gouging, lashing with a bayonet, even strangling with his bare hands. The lonesome five fought (the corporal was out of his mind) until the attackers quit.

Then the mortars began again. All this time the route to the rear lay open, but never did this little group take the road back. As early dawn a full company of airborne troopers relieved this tiny force. It still wasn't quite light yet. One of the group, a lieutenant, picked up the sergeant with the broken hip and carried him like a baby. The other led the incoherent corporal like a dog on a leash. The other two of the gallant six lay dead in the snow. It took hours for this strange little group to get back to where they had started from 24 hours earlier. They were like ghosts returning. The lieutenant and one remaining healthy sergeant, after 10 hours of sleep and a hot meal, were sent on a mission 12 miles behind the German lines and helped make the link that closed the Bulge.

Today, two of the faithful six lay in Belgium graves, one is a career army man, and one is a permanent resident of the army hospital for the insane in Texas, one is a stiff-legged repairman in Ohio, and one is an assistant football coach at the University of Florida.

This story is no documentary or self-indulgence. It was told to you only to show you that whatever you find adverse now, others before you have had as bad or worse and still hung on to do the job. Many of you are made of exactly the same stuff as the six men in the story, yet you haven't pooled your collective guts to present a united fight for a full 60 minutes. Your egos are a little shook-so what? Nothing good can come from moping about it. Cheer up and stand up. Fight an honest fight, square off in front of your particular adversity and whip it. You'll be a better man for it, and the next adversity won't be so tough. Breaking training now is complete failure to meet your problems. Quitting the first time is the hardest-it gets easier the second time and so forth.

I'd like to see a glint in your eye Saturday about 2 p.m. with some real depth to it-not just a little lip service-not just a couple of weak hurrahs and down the drain again, but some real steel-some real backbone and 60 full fighting minutes. Then and only then will you be on the road to becoming a real man. The kind you like to see when you shave every morning.

As in most letters, I'd like to close by wishing you well and leave you with this one thought. "Self-pity is a roommate with cowardice." Stay away from feeling sorry for yourself. The wins and losses aren't nearly as important as what kind of man you become. I hope I've given you something to think about-and remember, somebody up there still loves you.

Sincerely,
Gene Ellenson
In retrospect hiring Doug Dickey instead of Ellenson probably extended our futility until Steve returned in 1990.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Every time I read that = Wow!
What adversity can Nussmier have faced when he gets promoted for 100+ rank offense? Being a bonafied hero vs adversity is what we're missing in coachmanship. Does Franks look immersed in such "rise-above" inculcation-inspiration?

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
Such a great letter and one of the things about football that most don't get. It can be a sport that makes men out of boys probably like no other. Unfortunately I don't think this generation would be all that moved by a similar letter today from someone like Marcus Luttrell or the likes.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
I think some of the Gator faithful have forgotten why we play. To quote Coach Ellenson, "The wins and losses aren't nearly as important as what kind of man you become." We play to develop men, not football players or athletes. "On the fields of friendly strife, are sown the seeds, that on other days and other fields, will bear the fruit of victory." Go Gators, give 'em hell.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Never seen that before. Thanks for sharing it, great letter.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My first trimester at UF as a bright-eyed 17 y.o.....seems like yesterday....

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I think some of the Gator faithful have forgotten why we play. To quote Coach Ellenson, "The wins and losses aren't nearly as important as what kind of man you become." We play to develop men, not football players or athletes. "On the fields of friendly strife, are sown the seeds, that on other days and other fields, will bear the fruit of victory." Go Gators, give 'em hell.
I would give this 10 likes if I could. Wooden was the same way. My football coach was that way. If you could take his practices game were easy

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I have always enjoyed this story and I absolutely loved and respected Coach Ellenson.

Unfortunately, I don't think "The Letter" would mean much to today's players. WWII is not exactly top of mind these days and if you are honest with yourself you will admit that most of the college kids today are taught to despise the military and all things patriotic.
While listening to this letter being read to them, today's players would be thinking of all the reasons why they would have refused to serve in the military and how we should have been able to end the war through diplomacy.

If reading this letter to the team helps in any way, I am all for it. I just don't think players with one eye on the NFL really care about the sacrifices of their predecessors. You know, kinda like the NFL players.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I have always enjoyed this story and I absolutely loved and respected Coach Ellenson.

Unfortunately, I don't think "The Letter" would mean much to today's players. WWII is not exactly top of mind these days and if you are honest with yourself you will admit that most of the college kids today are taught to despise the military and all things patriotic.
While listening to this letter being read to them, today's players would be thinking of all the reasons why they would have refused to serve in the military and how we should have been able to end the war through diplomacy.

If reading this letter to the team helps in any way, I am all for it. I just don't think players with one eye on the NFL really care about the sacrifices of their predecessors. You know, kinda like the NFL players.
I would hope that that's not true, but with the idea of self sacrifice for the greater good these days being treated as something only a sucker would do, I'm afraid you may be right. Certain segments of the population who have grown up sheltered and catered to tend to only think about what's in it for them. It runs across many segments of the population and it's kinda' sad.

Having known many WWII and Korean vets and the type of sacrifices they made and the nation made as a whole, this story hits home. I had a HS baseball coach who's promising baseball career was cut short when he was gravely wounded in the Korean War while defending his position on a hilltop chucking grenades at advancing Chinese. He was a personal hero of mine and the way he carried himself when he could have retreated into a self pity shell taught me a lot and I carried what I Iearned from him and other older folks with me throughout my life.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I would hope that that's not true, but with the idea of self sacrifice for the greater good these days being treated as something only a sucker would do, I'm afraid you may be right. Certain segments of the population who have grown up sheltered and catered to tend to only think about what's in it for them. It runs across many segments of the population and it's kinda' sad.

Having known many WWII and Korean vets and the type of sacrifices they made and the nation made as a whole, this story hits home. I had a HS baseball coach who's promising baseball career was cut short when he was gravely wounded in the Korean War while defending his position on a hilltop chucking grenades at advancing Chinese. He was a personal hero of mine and the way he carried himself when he could have retreated into a self pity shell taught me a lot and I carried what I Iearned from him and other older folks with me throughout my life.

My feelings are the same as you.
This letter always represented the collective sacrifices of those that came before us and served as a constant reminder of just how freaking lucky I am to have been born when I was and born into this great country.
Today, we actually have people questioning why we honor veterans and why we treat them as if they are special. The anthem controversy with the entitled babies in the NFL has allowed the most vile thoughts in our society to come forward so we have now read and heard just how screwed up many in our country are now and how little respect they have for ANYTHING we hold sacred or we treat as valuable in any way.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014

Hear, hear.....sad but true.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
gator went to war
he learned skills that served him well
Made great speech for boys

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Such a great letter and one of the things about football that most don't get. It can be a sport that makes men out of boys probably like no other. Unfortunately I don't think this generation would be all that moved by a similar letter today from someone like Marcus Luttrell or the likes.
Tldr

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.