Coaching hires (at other schools)

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Honestly, the only issue w/ the 10th assistant has been the lower-level D1 schools saying they cannot afford it and need more time to prepare/budget for it. As an SEC school, we tend to forget that most schools lose money on football (especially at the Group of 5 schools).
First, you dont HAVE to hire any number of coaches.

Second, there could be 128 coaches being hired. I wonder if we lose anyone.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Honestly, the only issue w/ the 10th assistant has been the lower-level D1 schools saying they cannot afford it and need more time to prepare/budget for it. As an SEC school, we tend to forget that most schools lose money on football (especially at the Group of 5 schools).
Why should the NCAA regulate how a football program wants tho spend their money? What next, limiting the amount you can spend on facilities? Do we have to feed our guys bologna sandwiches and store brand koolaid if that's all the smaller schools can afford?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Why should the NCAA regulate how a football program wants tho spend their money? What next, limiting the amount you can spend on facilities? Do we have to feed our guys bologna sandwiches and store brand koolaid if that's all the smaller schools can afford?

Fairness.

I know it's hypocritical, but that's it. No other reason.

Remember in the 80's when they had a "limited earnings" coach? The NCAA was sued and they did away w/ that position.

The reason Saban created "analysts" and "quality control" coaches was to circumvent the rules. Genius.

Honestly, the answer is fairness.....no matter if you or I agree w/ it or not. You can't have one school w/ 15 coaches and another with 8.

Sure, they don't "have" to hire a 10th coach....but I imagine they could bring on a GA or out of work coach for $20,000/year at some of these lower level schools and fill the positions.

I doubt we lose anyone. I'm curious of McElwain has anyone lined up for the 10th spot....or if it will be another sh*t-show and take 3 months to fill the position.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

On the "have to" issue; a lot of the Group of 5 schools aren't even paying the Cost of Attendance stipends. So, again, you're right that they don't "have" to.

I'll be curious to see how the vote goes. I'd be surprised if they vote it down. The rumor earlier in the year was that they might delay the vote until next off-season.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Michigan: Duke basketball creative coordinator Ty Rogers has joined the U-M football staff as multimedia coordinator. Rogers spent two years at Duke.

Virginia Tech: Justin Fuente’s two-year extension announced last week also includes more money for his assistants. Per the Roanoke Times, the salary pool for assistants and support staff has increased by $167,500, up from $3.8 million. In addition, an appearance in the ACC title came would mean a $5,000 bonus for the nine full-time assistants and head strength coach, and that increases to $10,000 if they win the ACC.

Texas A&M: Former UCLA quarterback Jerry Neuheisel is now on the Texas A&M staff as an offensive graduate assistant. Neuheisel played at UCLA from 2012-15 and played last year in Japan.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Louisville: Florida A&M tight ends coach Stephen Field has joined Louisville as director of high school relations, according to 247Sports. Field spent one year at FAMU and was previously a high school coach in Florida.

Washington:
Head coach Chris Petersen has received a contract extension through 2023 with an average salary of $4.875 million, according to Sports Illustrated. It is believed that makes Petersen the highest-paid head coach in the Pac-12. Petersen was previously set to earn $4 million. He is 27-14 in three years, including last year’s Pac-12 title and Playoff appearance.

Louisiana Tech: Skip Holtz has received a new 5-year deal worth $700,000 annually, up from $500,000. Holtz is 31-22 in four years. He is also still receiving $500,000 in 2017 for his last buyout payment from USF.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Another lesson for recruits, Iowa State cornerbacks coach D.K. McDonald tweeted this on Tuesday:

“Recruits: We just rejected a recruit due to his tweet. Reminder don't cuss, use the N-Word, middle finger or disrespect women on twitter!!!”

Every little thing matters.

Plenty of programs use urine color hydration charts, but Tom Herman’s Texas staff sure makes it personal.

The three lightest colors are “Championship level,” followed by “Selfish teammate,” “Blatant disregard for your teammates, you are headed for Area 51” and “You are a bad guy!!!”

Texas%20pee.jpg

Texas football coach Tom Herman said they consistently check the urine of players. Calls out players who are dehydrated in front of the team

— Anwar Richardson (@AnwarRichardson) April 12, 2017

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This is an odd/interesting move:

Illinois: Former Illinois and Western Michigan head coach Bill Cubit has been named head coach at Martin County High School (FL) again. Cubit led the Martin County program from 1986-88, posting a 30-6 record. He was at Western Michigan from 2005-12 and went 5-7 as Illinois interim head coach in 2015. He was named Illinois' permanent head coach after the season, but later dismissed in March 2016 when a new athletic director came in.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Here we go again w/ other schools adding to their support staffs....and crickets from Jimmy MAC!

Al Borges, he's been an OC at 7+ schools! And we're hiring HS basketball coaches!

Auburn: Former San Jose State offensive coordinator Al Borges has rejoined the Auburn staff as an offensive analyst, according to ESPN’s Chris Low. Borges was previously Auburn’s offensive coordinator from 2004-07. He’s also been an OC at Michigan, San Diego State, Indiana, Cal, UCLA, Oregon, Boise State and more.

Tennessee Titans: Florida program assistant Casey Callahan has joined the Titans as a scouting assistant, according to ESPN. Callahan had been on staff since 2014.

Good video of Saban going ape:

Defensive backs are Nick Saban’s specialty. Here’s video of him working them in practice:

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Put on your nubs then!!!

Now those I have. And they're titanium reinforced. With fold out thumbs. Except I don't have any fingers to pull the thumbs out with...
crazyeyes.jpeg

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Texas spends money on football like no other state.

Texas themselves actually were pretty cheap on everyone but Strong's salary when he was there compared to other top schools. I think they were paying assistants a total about equal to us those years.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Texas themselves actually were pretty cheap on everyone but Strong's salary when he was there compared to other top schools. I think they were paying assistants a total about equal to us those years.

Referring the state not just UT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator