Coaching Hot Seat

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I've heard that a short list was started about 3 weeks ago. Just in case this season spiraled. I don't think the buyout is as big a concern as everyone thinks.

After the Georgia beat down I expect the "vote of confidence" to be given by Stricklin.
Same person said feelers went out to Stoops and another coach I can’t remember. I hope that part isn’t true, unless Stoops enjoys a good challenge.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
As a big booster, I will tell you he is not going anywhere. At least if I have any say. Unless I see the players stop playing for him. I will advocate for changes though, its unacceptable to have special teams so bad and not be able to show some organization on offense. But I suggest you start supporting the team including the coach, unless you actually want your team to lose because he will be here next year.
I'm just curious, what makes you a believer in Mac at this point?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
As a big booster, I will tell you he is not going anywhere. At least if I have any say. Unless I see the players stop playing for him. I will advocate for changes though, its unacceptable to have special teams so bad and not be able to show some organization on offense. But I suggest you start supporting the team including the coach, unless you actually want your team to lose because he will be here next year.

He is trending the wrong way. After starting 6-0 he's 16-11. I appreciate your voice but I question your reasoning. Why would you want to keep him. He's obviously not a very good coach and our kids deserve better. So you met him a few times and he seems like a nice guy. Who cares? He cares more about his buddy than you boosters, the fans or the kids. Firing Nuss is just delaying the inevitable. The HC has to go.

I hope you reconsider.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
**** you!!!!!

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
I have no insider knowledge but there sure seems to be a lot of "noise in the system" right now between rumors that HeeHaw wants out and the possible (maybe even likely?) missing out of a bowl. It sure seems like the fanbase has seen enough of McElchump ball and wants something new.

I personally believe he'll be back in 2018 for all the reasons everyone has offered (the buyout, lack of obvious home run hire out there, administration apathy, etc) but I still think if this goes sideways in a big way in the 2nd half of the season Stricklin may be forced to cut him loose either because he's forced by the big money folks or because he sees an opportunity to make his own mark.

Gator by the Sea

Lifetime Member
Mar 9, 2017
As a big booster, I will tell you he is not going anywhere. At least if I have any say.

Other than Stricklin, no one really knows if McElwain will be here next year or not. But it's nearly unanimous that no one wants him to be here next year. Why do you?

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
and CU-UF is exactly the type of "Boosters" that make me cringe...cannot tell reality from some hope and desire...

Dude Mac is trash.

MTGator

Lifetime Member
Sep 11, 2017

Why would anyone support another if they don’t and obviously cannot do the work and perform as expected and for which they are paid well? Mac is either too ignorant or too stubborn to make changes that aren’t obviously needed and instead repeatedly continues to do the same thing (or nothing) with the same disappointing results. What is the impetus to support/respect this staff?
Asking fans to support this coaching staff is asking them to accept and enjoy the sub-par (aka garbage) performance that doesn’t seem to be changing anytime soon.
If you truly are a “big booster” (Bull Gator) then I imagine you didn’t get that way accepting poor performance and people refusing to acknowledge problems and take accountability along the way which is what this staff is doing.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
How does the same school that cans a coach in his 3rd year for going 7-5 not can a coach in his 3rd year that goes 5-7? And recruits far worse.

B/C Meyer was in play for multiple HC jobs. We needed to get the jump on Notre Dame.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
The top coaches are always in play on any given year for someone. If there is someone out there that's a can't miss hire that is looking for a job he'll be gone if we done make a move.

emr25

Nov 18, 2015
I don’t understand the buyout excuse. If the contract reports are accurate, it’s $12.5 million this year or $10 million next year. Difference is inconsequential.

The only relevant discussion here is whether Stricklin has the balls to pick his guy now and do whatever it takes to go get him, or if he’d rather wait until we suck for another 12 months and delay the rebuild that much longer.

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014

A fool and his money are soon parted...

Seriously, Mr. "big booster", what has mac done to deserve another year? Nothing. If you want to continue giving money, fine, but I refuse to. Thanks for your smarmy suggestions, but... no.

I will always support the players. Our wins are only due to their ability to sometimes outplay the coaching abilities of the coaches. I root for the players to do that every game, because that is our only hope. Plus, those young men made sacrifices to be Gators. Many of them fell for the pb&j charms of a snakeoil salesman, and could've been playing somewhere else. Watching their raw talent continue to essentially wither on the vine makes me feel sorry for them. But I refuse to support macelwain. he has sacrificed NOTHING. He basically won the lottery when foley was dumb enough to hire him. He has done nothing to prove himself as the head coach of a major university, and deserves every single ounce of criticism and ridicule that he receives.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
We really have to also look at what kind of names we can make up for the next coach in case they don't work out.

We should also all pitch in some cash and register the appropriate “Fire insert name of coach here”.com websites for the likely list of candidates...just in case they don’t work out here. :)

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Will a 4 or 5 win season change your mind? Because that's probably going to happen.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
I am not saying that I think everything is wonderful. But it is counterproductive to remove a coach that has not completed 3 years in the program, particularly given the results of the previous two years. Money aside, if necessary he will be removed but it would have to be a catastrophic situation along the lines of losing every game left on the schedule by 3+ TDs. I am not high enough (ie having buildings named)to have direct access to Strickland but am good friends and fraternity brothers with those who do. It really comes down to how certain are you that that the costs (tangible and intangible) of making a change are less than the benefit or certainty of success of making that change. As I have stated before, there are no realistic replacements out there that are certainties.
I frustrated as hell, but I am also patient and believe I take the long view of things. So I am waiting till the season plays out and then in hindsight can make a clearer and rational evaluation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator