Coaching Moves this Off-season

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Report: Ole Miss close to hiring Middle Tennessee's Kermit Davis

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/o...ng-middle-tennessees-kermit-davis-next-coach/

Ole Miss may have worked very quickly to find Andy Kennedy’s replacement.

No, the Rebels aren’t linked to Rick Pitino as fun as that may sound but instead are reportedly close to naming Middle Tennessee coach Kermit Davis as the next Ole Miss coach. Davis has been at MTSU for 16 seasons and is coming off a 24-7 overall season with a 16-2 CUSA record.

According to JOX Roundtable co-host Jim Dunaway, Ole Miss is “95 percent done” to naming Davis the program’s new coach.

Kennedy won 245 games and lost 156 at Ole Miss in his coaching career. Davis has a record of 339 wins and 189 losses at MTSU in 16 seasons.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Wow!!

Thad Matta declines offer to coach Georgia, submits statement following decision

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/g...georgia-submits-statement-following-decision/

Thad Matta on spurning Georgia: "It was the most difficult decision because Georgia is a tremendous opportunity for a coach to build a great program. Unfortunately, I just don’t feel that I am completely ready at this point to give Greg McGarity and Georgia what they deserve."

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Wow!!

Thad Matta declines offer to coach Georgia, submits statement following decision

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/g...georgia-submits-statement-following-decision/

Thad Matta on spurning Georgia: "It was the most difficult decision because Georgia is a tremendous opportunity for a coach to build a great program. Unfortunately, I just don’t feel that I am completely ready at this point to give Greg McGarity and Georgia what they deserve."
he either is worse off healthwise or has something else lined up.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
The more things change …
Great work by the Courier-Journal’s Jake Lourim, whose look into Louisville’s “new” nepotism policy shows how ineffective the changes have been. Of the Cardinals’ 10 full-time assistant football coaches, 30 percent are related to head coach Bobby Petrino — son Nick (quarterbacks), son-in-law L.D. Scott (defensive line) and son-in-law Ryan Beard (safeties). When Petrino added Beard, his listed direct supervisor for avoiding conflicts of interest was new defensive coordinator Brian VanGorder.

Change has been the norm at Louisville this past academic year, and Petrino enters a crucial fifth season (spring ball starts March 20) with an AD who didn’t hire him, the best player in program history (Lamar Jackson) gone and a coordinator in VanGorder who was a massive disappointment in his last go-round, at Notre Dame. (Opening 2018 against Alabama doesn’t help matters, either.)

Thanks to his family hires, Petrino also will have one of the youngest and least-experienced staffs in the ACC.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
VanGorder who was a massive disappointment
:what:

I love people who hire coaches that have failed at their last two jobs and think this time will be different. You know, like hiring an OC who got fired at Trailerbammer and Meatchikin, or a DC that got fired at Ugly and Loovull.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Dude's 58 years old...

It's official: Ole Miss announces Kermit Davis as next basketball coach

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/o...miss-basketball-kermit-davis-next-coach-2018/

Davis spent his last 16 seasons coaching at Middle Tennessee, where he led the Blue Raiders to a conference title in 5 of his last seasons. He’ll replace Andy Kennedy, who mutually parted ways from the program after spending the last 12 seasons in Oxford.

“I’m incredibly honored and excited to be the basketball coach at the University of Mississippi,” Davis said in a release. “We are extremely grateful to Chancellor Vitter and Ross for giving me the opportunity to lead such a prestigious program in the best basketball league in America. Coming back to my home state of Mississippi to build a national brand is absolutely a dream come true for us. I am Mississippi Made and cannot wait to join the rest of the Ole Miss family.”

The 58-year-old Leakesville, Miss. native earned NCAA Tournament berths in 2 of the last 3 years, including when his team pulled off a stunning upset of No. 2 seed Michigan State in the first round of the 2016 tournament.

Davis’ squad won the 2017 regular season Conference USA title, but missed out on an NCAA Tournament bid after getting upset by Southern Miss. in the quarterfinals of the conference tournament.

Davis was a guard at Mississippi State back in the early 1980s.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I'd like to hit this guy in the face w/ a cinder block!!

East Carolina: Former Tennessee athletic director Dave Hart has been hired as “special advisor for athletics to the Chancellor” at East Carolina. The deal reportedly is a six month contract. ECU AD Jeff Compher is officially out as of May 1. No interim AD has been announced. Hart previously served as AD at ECU from 1987 – 1995.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Some interesting moves here:

----

Georgia:
Former player Bacarri Rambo has joined the staff as an intern this spring, with hopes to become a graduate assistant.

Oklahoma: Former Nebraska defensive coordinator Bob Diaco has joined Oklahoma as a defensive analyst, according to Yahoo Sports’ Pete Thamel.

Tennessee: The school will pay former athletic director John Currie $2.5 million following his firing in December.

Florida International: Former Carolina Panthers quarterbacks coach Ken Dorsey has been named assistant athletic director at FIU.

Billgator

Mar 25, 2016
From a UM rag:

McElwain
…is a former SEC coach who might be an upgrade over a disinterested Pep and grad assistants in training the young receivers corps. His Florida career suggests he’s not much of a recruiter and should be kept away from offensive strategy (and sharks) at all costs.

Nobody has been named offensive coordinator. Harbaugh claims it’s a collaborative effort, and noted Bo never had an OC*. In reality the OC is Harbaugh and will be Harbaugh.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Alabama: Former Tennessee Titans linebackers coach Lou Spanos has joined Alabama as an analyst, according to AL.com.

Baylor: Former head coach Art Briles received $15.1 million in buyout from his dismissal in 2016, according to the Dallas Morning News.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This looks like a trend (hiring JUCO coaches to recruiting positions):

Ole Miss: East Central Community College assistant Clayton Karcher has joined the Ole Miss staff as a recruiting assistant.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Alabama: According to Ben Jones of the Tuscaloosa News, the salary figures for Saban’s offseason hires at Alabama have been revealed. Here’s how much each new face on the coaching staff in Tuscaloosa is scheduled to make in 2018:

• Defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski – $750,000

• Inside linebackers coach Pete Golding – $650,000

• Receivers coach Josh Gattis – $525,000

• Defensive backs coach Karl Scott – $350,000

• Tight ends/Special teams coach Jeff Banks – $270,000

• Quarterbacks coach Dan Enos – $200,000 *
* Enos is scheduled to make $400,000 from Arkansas following the firing of Bret Bielema’s coaching staff. That figure is mitigated by what Alabama is going to pay him to coach quarterbacks in 2018.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.