Coaching Staff Updates: Robinson named linebackers coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvgJoe

Nov 14, 2017

"3rd and Chavis" looks to be out of a job.....

(ducking and leaving the room)

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
What I would like (pipe dream. I know.)

1. OC - Mario Cristobal
2. DC - Tosh Lupoi
3. LB - Shannon
4. WR - Gonzalez
5. RB - Seider
6. S&C - ?
7. OL - John Hevesey
8. DL - John Chavis
9. TE/ST - ?

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017

1. OC - Mario Cristobal
2. DC - Tosh Lupoi
3. LB - Shannon
4. WR - Gonzalez
5. RB - Seider
6. S&C - ?
7. OL - John Hevesey
8. DL - John Chavis
9. TE/ST - ?
I like the list. Don't think we'll get Cristobal or Lupoi and not sure Shannon would take another step back to pure position coach. Love the idea of Gonzo, Hevesy, and Seider working together.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I don't really ever remember MS having any great skill position players there under Mullin except one WR a few years back that was supposed to get drafted...It just seems his offense is built too much around a All World QB.....Then when that gets stopped the party is over.

Here's a list of Miss State players drafted, easy to break down by year (it's in order):

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fu...Name=Mississippi+State&abbrFlag=0&type=school

Quick look, since 2011 (first year after Mullen arrived): two RB's, one TE, and one QB drafted (plus 3 OL's). In other words, not many offensive players drafted...

Red D

Nov 4, 2017
Does Mullen have any big time recruits that he'll bring with him? Honestly don't know anything about Msst 2018 class.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Since Law is on board with the hire, I’ll give Mullins a chance

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017

1. OC - Mario Cristobal
2. DC - Tosh Lupoi
3. LB - Shannon
4. WR - Gonzalez
5. RB - Seider
6. S&C - ?
7. OL - John Hevesey
8. DL - John Chavis
9. TE/ST - ?

Lupoi is a great recruiter, but do you think he'd make a good DC? You make him DC when Chavis is only DL? I dunno. Cristobal is another great recruiter, but I think there would be some style friction between him and Mullen.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Here's a list of Miss State players drafted, easy to break down by year (it's in order):

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fu...Name=Mississippi+State&abbrFlag=0&type=school

Quick look, since 2011 (first year after Mullen arrived): two RB's, one TE, and one QB drafted (plus 3 OL's). In other words, not many offensive players drafted...
Yeah that's about what I figured off the top of my head. At least it got somewhat better after he got there so maybe, just maybe we'll take a slight upward trend with all the homegrown talent in this state. I'm trying to stay somewhat positive here but the reality is I barely see any true D1 Power 5 caliber talent left on our current roster....Maybe 8-10 guys total. So to say he's got his work cut out for him is certainly an understatement.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Yeah that's about what I figured off the top of my head. At least it got somewhat better after he got there so maybe, just maybe we'll take a slight upward trend with all the homegrown talent in this state. I'm trying to stay somewhat positive here but the reality is I barely see any true D1 Power 5 caliber talent left on our current roster....Maybe 8-10 guys total. So to say he's got his work cut out for him is certainly an understatement.

I'm hoping he somewhat "re-tools" his offense. He's gotta realize he needs to be better at passing and can't keep pounding a QB 20+ carries/game. I know coaches are stubborn, but look at how much Ohio State throws it (under Meyer). I'm not saying run Spurrier's offense, I'm just saying we need to be able to throw the ball...especially when we fall behind. There's nothing worse than watching a team that can't pass try to play a 2-minute offense/hurry-up.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
and one QB drafted (plus 3 OL's). In other words, not many offensive players drafted...
Hey what was the kids name that signed with us in the 15 or 16 class and didn't qualify. He ended up going to some Academy or JuCo somewhere? Big, athletic guy who was gonna be a RB, LB....He played QB some in HS and was from N. Fl.....Maybe Mullen should look him up for QB. He was built like Dak, about 6'2" and 225 coming out of HS....

GatorRaz

Gator Fan in Enemy Territory!!!
Dec 12, 2014
Hey what was the kids name that signed with us in the 15 or 16 class and didn't qualify. He ended up going to some Academy or JuCo somewhere? Big, athletic guy who was gonna be a RB, LB....He played QB some in HS and was from N. Fl.....Maybe Mullen should look him up for QB. He was built like Dak, about 6'2" and 225 coming out of HS....
D'Anfernee McGriff

He is at FAU
https://247sports.com/player/danfernee-mcgriff-37641

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Lupoi is a great recruiter, but do you think he'd make a good DC? You make him DC when Chavis is only DL? I dunno. Cristobal is another great recruiter, but I think there would be some style friction between him and Mullen.

He’s the Co-DC at Bama right now. Probably the top recruiter in the nation. He would not come here unless you made him the DC. Again – a pipe dream.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Florida: Sources tell FootballScoop, Dan Mullen has offered positions at Florida to Mississippi State assistants John Hevesy (offensive line), Billy Gonzales (receivers) and Todd Grantham (defensive coordinator). All three are expected to go with Mullen. Additional staff from Mississippi State are being considered but at this time just those three have been offered positions we are told.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Florida: Sources tell FootballScoop, Dan Mullen has offered positions at Florida to Mississippi State assistants John Hevesy (offensive line), Billy Gonzales (receivers) and Todd Grantham (defensive coordinator). All three are expected to go with Mullen. Additional staff from Mississippi State are being considered but at this time just those three have been offered positions we are told.

@Swamp Donkey

Grantham? Are you fvking kidding me??!

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
I'm hoping he somewhat "re-tools" his offense. He's gotta realize he needs to be better at passing and can't keep pounding a QB 20+ carries/game. I know coaches are stubborn, but look at how much Ohio State throws it (under Meyer). I'm not saying run Spurrier's offense, I'm just saying we need to be able to throw the ball...especially when we fall behind. There's nothing worse than watching a team that can't pass try to play a 2-minute offense/hurry-up.
He did go downfield more at Florida than he ever did at Miss State. That could have something to do with the athletes UF had then (Murphy, Cooper, Harvin etc). I still expect to see plenty of WR screens - so hopefully our Gators can finally learn how to block for them. I will say there was one Mullen play I liked a lot which was the fake bubble into a post/fly combo. I seem to remember both Murphy and Cooper getting stupid open more than a few times when teams tried to crash the screens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.