Coaching Staff Updates: Warren named DB/ST coach

Discussion in 'Main Sports Forum' started by gatyr, Nov 26, 2017.

1. CaseyGator

CaseyGator Ox’s Favorite Poster

Oxbucks:
    $81
    Ratings:
    +82 / -1
    Now you know what it’s like to be a girl. :lmao2:

2. Omar's Coming Yo!

Omar's Coming Yo! Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $36
    Ratings:
    +378 / -93
    did bell land any recruits here? I still remember arguing with others who said him and Shannon would lock down SFLA.

3. williston_gator

williston_gator Twitter junkie

Oxbucks:
    $579
    Ratings:
    +3,238 / -23
    Mark Hudspeth fired from ULL. Was WR/PGC on Mullen's staff 2009-2010. Possible option for.... something. Also has been an OC, coached DBs, WRs, TEs, and RBs in career.

4. ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $514
    Ratings:
    +627 / -38
    That's why people that actually care about the truth use things like s&p and FEI. Grantham is still very solid in those, but obviously not elite.

5. alcoholica

alcoholica Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $374
    Ratings:
    +6,318 / -206
    If he can truly be top 25 in the major categories, we should win a lot of games. The quicker we get the S&C under control and a system QB, we can start thinking about competing.

6. williston_gator

Oxbucks:
    $579
    Ratings:
    +3,238 / -23
    Wonder what this means for Seider....

Florida: Mississippi State running backs / special teams coordinator Greg Knox will join Dan Mullen’s staff after State’s bowl game sources tell FootballScoop. Knox is serving as interim head coach for the bowl.

7. alcoholica

Oxbucks:
    $374
    Ratings:
    +6,318 / -206
    Maybe nothing. It's rumored the extra spot will be used for ST coordinators. If Seider is let go, it will raise a lot of questions.

8. williston_gator

Oxbucks:
    $579
    Ratings:
    +3,238 / -23
    You must be right. @DK_Thompson: Look for him to be ST coordinator, as I reported last week.

9. GatorJ

GatorJ Hopeful

Oxbucks:
    $798
    Ratings:
    +8,529 / -54
    Yeah. They would be foolish to replace him. He’s about the only coach that was worth a crap that we had.

10. '78

'78 Dazed and Confused
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $1,358
    Ratings:
    +7,203 / -92
    There's a guy on Twitter claiming he's been recruiting for Florida since Nov. 28.

11. williston_gator

Oxbucks:
    $579
    Ratings:
    +3,238 / -23
    Knox was like heck yeah I wanna leave BFE Starkville for Gainesville.

12. ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $514
    Ratings:
    +627 / -38
    I'd actually say he's somewhere right around #25 as a DC. That will win you a lot of games, but with an unspectacular O, it won't win you many of the big ones. That, btw, is why you look at the other stats (s&p+, FEI) vs total O, scoring O, etc. He's 15 and 20 there, but obviously helped by one of the most run-heavy Os in football.

13. Gatorraid81

Gatorraid81 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $171
    Ratings:
    +1,229 / -29
    “Soon” do you have the same source as Ox. Lol

14. alcoholica

Oxbucks:
    $374
    Ratings:
    +6,318 / -206
    I hope he's ST, would suck to lose Seider. Mullen may be hedging in case someone pulls Seider from us.

15. alcoholica

Oxbucks:
    $374
    Ratings:
    +6,318 / -206
    I'm expecting a top 50 offense if we can find a QB fit in the first year. That's a big IF.

16. ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $514
    Ratings:
    +627 / -38
    #30 special teams FEI. That was helped a lot by a very good (#12) field goal efficiency. We'd have to know how much he actually coached the field goal kicker to know how much credit he gets for that. Since he's only been a ST coach for a few years, I doubt he's a kicking expert. Kickoff return efficiency rank was #107 (guess we're still going to be hoping we just kneel on every one), kickoff efficiency was #51 (ehh), punt efficiency was #42 and punt retun efficiency was #14. That's the huge one for me, bc I see no way coaching didn't factor in unless he had devin hester back there. Seems like a solid hire, but is he not going to also coach a position?

I was hoping someone told mullen he was allowed to actually hire someone from a team other than msu and UF and he'd see if Jovan Dewitt from ucf wanted to stay in state. Their special teams were good across the board (#9 FEI overall) with his only iffy category being punting efficiency at #49. #13 and #28 in kick and punt return efficiency respectively. He was also their LB coach and had a dude with one hand play like a stud for the two years he was there even though he hadn't done anything previously.

17. ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $514
    Ratings:
    +627 / -38
    msu was #63 in s&p and #36 in FEI with his guys. Top 50 without that would be a welcome surprise. Either way, in regards to what we were talking about, a #45 O that needs to be playing with a lead and a #25 D won't beat uga, bama or a good fsu and would get you a toss-up against lsu...unless they improve.

18. williston_gator

Oxbucks:
    $579
    Ratings:
    +3,238 / -23
    It feels like ultimately Mullen is aiming for familiarity hoping he can hit the ground running.

19. alcoholica

Oxbucks:
    $374
    Ratings:
    +6,318 / -206
    I'd take that in the first year. I doubt FSU is going to drastically improve overnight. So that would put 9 wins within reach.

20. ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $514
    Ratings:
    +627 / -38
    Familiarity is important, but so is bringing in fresh ideas. I was thinking he'd bring a few more proven guys like Hevesy, but didn't think it would be every single position that he didn't love the UF counterpart. He already had 3 of his 4 coordinators. Needed 100% of that msu coordinator team that was the talk of college football?