Coaching Staff Updates: Warren named DB/ST coach

Discussion in 'Main Sports Forum' started by gatyr, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Theologator

Theologator Enchanter

Oxbucks:
    $337
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / -12
    His 2 years of recruiting include some very solid 4* DL. I think the DL continues to be a strength of this team. But everything works together (or doesn’t) so when you lose your 2 starting safeties to injury and your LB corps is thinned by injuries and suspensions the DL’s effectiveness gets hurt, too.

(This is where Donkey will assert that all our DL really weigh under 250...)

So yeah, Rumph is one I’m fine with staying on unless Mullen has an upgrade. Especially if he’s on board with Grantham etc.

2. ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $514
    Ratings:
    +627 / -38
    So can we agree that we'll look at 2016 & 2017 (I don't think he gets credit or penalized for 2015)?

His 1st full class had Clayton (4* & #2 WDE), Jordan Smith (4* and #25 WDE), Jachai Polite (4* and #33 SDE). That is not a good average ranking and is obviously lacking any DTs. I think we'd agree that Polite has overachieved and Clayton underachieved to this point so that's basically a wash. In 2017, he got Carter (4* and #3 SDE), Conliffe (4* and #18 DT) & Campbell (3*, but top juco DT I think). Slaton is hard since he was rated a 4* and the #3 guard and it seems we likely got him bc we let him play DT. I would say that's a modest group, but the alarming thing was his inability to get a guy at a position of need...when he needed. We needed to take three DTs in 2017, bc of the strikeouts before. We NEED WDEs this year and have almost nobody on our radar. The only one is bc urban cooled on him. We're going to likely once again go without a DT, bc the few targets we had went elsewhere.

As for coaching, I understand what you're trying to say about issues at LB and DB hurting the DL, but not sure how that would make their technique worse. I think your argument should be that we don't know how much S&C has hurt that group. I'd still argue that we've seen close to no technique improvements from anyone. Bryan has made the biggest improvement, but that is mostly recognition, which is probably largely just experience. He's had a very athletic group of DEs to work with and they show nothing outside of bullrushes. Cece got his shoulders vertical once and immediately got a sack. He'd be a monster if his technique was consistently better, but he looks exactly like he did as a freshman. JZ looks exactly like he did as a RS Fr.

I'm definitely not saying rumph is horrible. The switch to a 3-4 makes his job easier and his recruiting job less important, but I still can't stand this attitude that we now own of 'he'll be good enough'. This is actually where I would have kept someone he's super familiar with and taken baker from msu. At least he's been running a 3-4 lately.

3. alcoholica

alcoholica Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $374
    Ratings:
    +6,318 / -206
    I can and I did. Same group played better at the end of last year.

4. ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $514
    Ratings:
    +627 / -38
    In a very, very different scheme. Not saying he coached them up, but he took over a crap group and then was handed a scheme that put crazy stresses on them that they had close to zero experience in.

A big thing to keep in mind is that with the change to a 3-4, whether we split ILBs & OLBs (they're completely different spots with completely different athletes) might factor in. I'm cool with Skipper just having ILBs, bc it'd be an easier job and we could still benefit from his recruiting. OLB is a completely different spot and an extremely important one so I don't want a guy with no experience coaching it and I definitely wouldn't want him to have both. That would be beyond idiotic.

I'd have Grantham at DL, Skipper at ILB and then hire a stud for OLBs, but then you're kind of stuck with only 1 DB coach since we're probably wasting a spot on O.

5. Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey Shytter's Full!
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $2,774
    Ratings:
    +25,740 / -542
    Do you actually watch our football games. You know sweeps that teams use to blow us out? You know who has edge on those?

Tackles were ok this year. Just ok. I like the three freshmen a lot though.

6. Theologator

Theologator Enchanter

Oxbucks:
    $337
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / -12
    “That’s correctable. We’re getting better and better.”

True, so why do you suppose the DEs kept crashing the interior and ignoring that responsibility play after play and game after game? Scheme? Execution? Physically getting beaten?

When I’m screaming at my TV set about something as obvious as that I have to think the coaching staff sees it too. It could be a LB or even a safety that’s supposed to set that edge on a given play, especially on an end-around or jet sweep.

7. alcoholica

Oxbucks:
    $374
    Ratings:
    +6,318 / -206
    I was pleasantly surprised by our DT's, I thought it was going to be the Red Sea out there.

8. gatorjohn

gatorjohn Rev

Oxbucks:
    $109
    Ratings:
    +232 / -5
    Mullen has hired this fatty to sit on the first fan to ring a cowbell!
    giphy (54).gif

9. williston_gator

williston_gator Twitter junkie

Oxbucks:
    $579
    Ratings:
    +3,238 / -23
    Any teeth to the rumors about Patrick Surtain Sr possibly coming as DB coach?

10. Slevin

Slevin GCMB’s Sweet Prince
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $1,250
    Ratings:
    +3,459 / -51
    Dan Mullen will handle play calling duties at UF confirmed. Probably a common sense tidbit but saw it on tweeter nonetheless

11. alcoholica

Oxbucks:
    $374
    Ratings:
    +6,318 / -206
    Heard the rumors yesterday. There is a lot of Twitter smoke but nothing substantial yet. I think he has the State Championship this weekend so we’ll hear quick enough.

On a side note, we’d be able to recruit any of his team if he is on staff but not if he’s QC staff. That was reported yesterday. I think he’d Be a great addition and help with S FL recruiting, because i’m Not sure who we have for that.

12. Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey Shytter's Full!
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $2,774
    Ratings:
    +25,740 / -542
    Im trying to remind myself how much I like the play-calling in 2007. hope he can find his way back to that. most of these SEC defenses are not built to defend the pass.

13. AnObfuscator

AnObfuscator Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +106 / -2
    I know a lot of people made fun of 2007 as "The Tebow Harvin Show", but... if you have a team that consists of:
    * Tim Tebow
    * Percy Harvin
    * Other players who are not Tim Tebow or Percy Harvin

Isn't it good playcalling to put the ball in the hands of your best playmakers, and scheme them into positions to succeed?

14. T REX

T REX Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $450
    Ratings:
    +4,820 / -231
    So far what does our staff look like?

Hiring high school coaches? Lord.

15. alcoholica

Oxbucks:
    $374
    Ratings:
    +6,318 / -206
    Remember when Spurrier brought in a bunch of UF players to the Redskins so they could help the other players quickly pickup the offense. I'm getting the feeling that Mullen is doing that here with the offensive coaches. Since it's a complete change in offense, the more knowledgeable coaches there are, the better players can be taught.

16. williston_gator

Oxbucks:
    $579
    Ratings:
    +3,238 / -23
    @FootballScoop: Good read for players & coaches

17. jdh5484

jdh5484 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $777
    Ratings:
    +2,375 / -32
    They were the perfect duo. If Tim runs, you better get a running start to tackle him and firmly plant your feet. Unfortunately for the D, if it's Percy, you better do the opposite. And...watch out for the long ball. I almost felt sorry for the Ds.

18. cover2

cover2 I've grown old
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $328
    Ratings:
    +3,104 / -2
    Not trying to edge Law out of the way, but usually when a DE (or any other positional player) consistently gets pinned inside, you can point to a lack of discipline where carrying out your fundamental assignment is concerned. The lack of discipline usually results from allowing the players to "play" (utilizing their athletic ability beyond what the scheme/call requires) or not initially repping the desired correct technique. May or may not be, but this would be a good guess. Otherwise, it might be that you have an athlete that cannot adequately or quickly process and repeat what he needs to do ;). Either or, it should be the position coach's responsibility to properly teach and then correct as needed...or find someone who can keep from getting pinned (or getting too far upfield, another problem that can be common to the DE position). Getting physically beaten is a possibility considering our roster these past couple of seasons, but continuous technical mistakes shouldn't be at this level.

19. Slevin

Slevin GCMB’s Sweet Prince
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $1,250
    Ratings:
    +3,459 / -51
    Tim Brewster, Brian Johnson, and Charlie Partridge might be additions to the staff

20. williston_gator

Oxbucks:
    $579
    Ratings:
    +3,238 / -23
    Brian Johnson isn't a name I've seen yet but looking at his bio it makes sense. Not sure how and where all these guys fit in. I assume they, along with Knox who's been rumored won't/can't all be on staff.