Coaching trumps players

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Forget about Franks not being ready. Forget about young DBs. Forget about lacking LBs. Forget about WRs being hurt or too small. Forget about 3 stars v. 5 stars. Forget about suspended players. None of these things matter in the current state of the program. This program is lacking not because of lacking any players or any players lacking enough talent.

This program is lacking because of one thing plain and simple. This program does not have the coaching and leadership to get UF where UF should be.

With excellent coaching UF would have WRs catching the ball all over the field. Many of us have seen WRs who could not catch cold turn into All SEC caliber players just with a change in coaching staff. Lots of college teams with worse recruiting ranked WRs than UF's guy have WRs consistently getting open and making catches. It takes coaching to hold WRs responsible for getting open and for catching balls they should.

aTm last night at times had 4 Frosh DBs in the game. UF's Frosh DBs can do the job and for that matter have been doing the job, giving up 18 points per game in these two losses.

As far as QB goes, does anyone believe UF does not have as talented a QB as the 2 star guy leading WSU very good offense. Sure they struggled Friday night, but wouldn't you love to have those kid of troubles. But coaching that makes excuses rather than demands excellence leads to babying a QB who has been through 2 springs and is in his second season as young.

As for LBs, sure UF is depth shy but UF could not be more depth shy than the 2000 SEC championship team. The job of the coach is to piece it together and find a solution to the problems that happen to each team every season.

So there is little reason to critique this player or that player until UF gets better coaching. Coach has and continues to trump player ability.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Our coaching sucks really bad but your QB matters some. Someone like Driskel would have never excelled in the SEC imo and I think Franks may have a little bit of that in him upstairs. Driskel did alright his senior year because he went to a pass happy place that dumbed things down for him his senior season. He was only picked up by Cincy in the NFL probably because of physical traits I guess after SF cut him after a very bad pre-season. Ole Miss is about the only team in the SEC slinging it around like those crazy Big 12 and PAC 12 passing teams do routinely. They have had some success with it but not a bunch overall. A&M does a little also when they have the QB but they have had mixed results also but a few good years. For a team in the SEC to succeed the QB has to have some decent ability. I do think Brissett and Grier had ability but they weren't doing a lot with them either here. I say play Corral next season with the new OC if Franks is still lost out there.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Forget about Franks not being ready. Forget about young DBs. Forget about lacking LBs. Forget about WRs being hurt or too small. Forget about 3 stars v. 5 stars. Forget about suspended players. None of these things matter in the current state of the program. This program is lacking not because of lacking any players or any players lacking enough talent.

This program is lacking because of one thing plain and simple. This program does not have the coaching and leadership to get UF where UF should be.

With excellent coaching UF would have WRs catching the ball all over the field. Many of us have seen WRs who could not catch cold turn into All SEC caliber players just with a change in coaching staff. Lots of college teams with worse recruiting ranked WRs than UF's guy have WRs consistently getting open and making catches. It takes coaching to hold WRs responsible for getting open and for catching balls they should.

aTm last night at times had 4 Frosh DBs in the game. UF's Frosh DBs can do the job and for that matter have been doing the job, giving up 18 points per game in these two losses.

As far as QB goes, does anyone believe UF does not have as talented a QB as the 2 star guy leading WSU very good offense. Sure they struggled Friday night, but wouldn't you love to have those kid of troubles. But coaching that makes excuses rather than demands excellence leads to babying a QB who has been through 2 springs and is in his second season as young.

As for LBs, sure UF is depth shy but UF could not be more depth shy than the 2000 SEC championship team. The job of the coach is to piece it together and find a solution to the problems that happen to each team every season.

So there is little reason to critique this player or that player until UF gets better coaching. Coach has and continues to trump player ability.

You are 100% correct, so please do not take offense to this but...................
:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Our coaching sucks really bad but your QB matters some. Someone like Driskel would have never excelled in the SEC imo and I think Franks may have a little bit of that in him upstairs. Driskel did alright his senior year because he went to a pass happy place that dumbed things down for him his senior season. He was only picked up by Cincy in the NFL probably because of physical traits I guess after SF cut him after a very bad pre-season. Ole Miss is about the only team in the SEC slinging it around like those crazy Big 12 and PAC 12 passing teams do routinely. They have had some success with it but not a bunch overall. A&M does a little also when they have the QB but they have had mixed results also but a few good years. For a team in the SEC to succeed the QB has to have some decent ability. I do think Brissett and Grier had ability but they weren't doing a lot with them either here. I say play Corral next season with the new OC if Franks is still lost out there.

You are wrong in every dimension.

1. Spurrier won with some QBs far more lacking that the ones UF has now, including walkons like Brindise.

2. Meyer won with a flat awful QB. He also won with a great QB who could not read a defense very well, but compensated with his running ability and toughness.

3. Driskel might well have been an All American for Spurrier though my own opinion is that the job would have been won by Brissett who would have been an All American for Spurrier.

4. If UF gave the job to Spurrier today, by the UGa game UF would have a credible passing attack.

5. Coaching trumps QBs by a mile.

6. Corral is pretty much irrelevant to this discussion unless UF has a coaching change.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
You are wrong in every dimension.

1. Spurrier won with some QBs far more lacking that the ones UF has now, including walkons like Brindise.

2. Meyer won with a flat awful QB. He also won with a great QB who could not read a defense very well, but compensated with his running ability and toughness.

3. Driskel might well have been an All American for Spurrier though my own opinion is that the job would have been won by Brissett who would have been an All American for Spurrier.

4. If UF gave the job to Spurrier today, by the UGa game UF would have a credible passing attack.

5. Coaching trumps QBs by a mile.

6. Corral is pretty much irrelevant to this discussion unless UF has a coaching change.

I don't remember any Spurrier QB looking as lost as Franks or Driskel. You might have had a few games with a lot of picks just like you did with Wuerffel etc. but none of them looked lost like this. Leak was a decent QB and nothing like Driskel or Franks has looked like so far.

I think Franks would be on the bench if Spurrier had brought any other QBs in here. Spurrier had some guys hyped out of high school like Franks that he never got anything out of that transferred or sat on the bench mostly.

I guess my thought is basically Driskel or Franks would have never saw the field if Spurrier was the coach probably.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014

You're not talking about Leak. The mofo had three diff. off coordinators in 4 years and ended up as one of the ONLY QBs to rank in stats with SOS Qbs. If CL played for SOS he is up in the ring of honor.
Bear Bryant won with bad QBs. And those guys are once in a lifetime coaches............pretty much.
probably

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I get the general OP point, but no way I jump on the bash Chris Leak bandwagon. Leak was a fine, at times great, UF QB. What we would do to have a drop of that field leadership at the position right now. From media represent, team player and clutch plays, Chris made Tebows transition to the leadership role almost story book. Again, I got it on the coaching makes a difference... in this case, how a read option guru 'great' coach (Meyer) used/developed a more pocket guy Leak into a successful Championship campaign. Meyer = great coach... Mac = wannabe .

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I don't remember any Spurrier QB looking as lost as Franks or Driskel. You might have had a few games with a lot of picks just like you did with Wuerffel etc. but none of them looked lost like this. Leak was a decent QB and nothing like Driskel or Franks has looked like so far.

I think Franks would be on the bench if Spurrier had brought any other QBs in here. Spurrier had some guys hyped out of high school like Franks that he never got anything out of that transferred or sat on the bench mostly.

I guess my thought is basically Driskel or Franks would have never saw the field if Spurrier was the coach probably.

1. Your first sentence is my point exactly. Spurrier would have coach up any QB he put on the field to look less lost than this.

2. Spurrier QB's who transfered, other than Kresser who was a special case, did not get drafted by NFL teams unlike Martin, Brissett and Driskel. Spurrier QB's who transfered basically confirmed they were not QBs in college.

3. I agree that Driskel or Franks would have been better QBs for Spurrier or not seen the field. Heck they probably would have been better QBs for being coached by him even if they did not see the field.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.