College Football is About to Essentially Introduce Free Agency

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

There’s going to be a potentially huge, seismic shift take place in college football next week.

New rules adopted by the NCAA will go into effect October 15th that allow scholarship football players to transfer without a release from their current program.

That doesn’t sound seismic, but the devil is in the details, specifically how it will be instituted.

As of October 15th, a player will be able to inform his current school that he wants to transfer, and that school, then, will enter his name into a national transfer database. Once the player’s name appears on the database, coaches from other programs are allowed to contact that player and recruit him without having to get a release from his current program.

This means, among other things:

-- A player currently on one college team can get recruited by other college teams.

-- A player will be able to take official visits to other schools while still at his current school.

And it could lead to so much more, as we'll break down.

It essentially is creating a college football free agency.

(continued at the link):

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
It it will be good for us in the short run as we are quickly becoming the flavor of the month. I think you should be able to transfer to another school without being held back. They have kids that move around in HS like lunatics. Play for 3 different schools. No wonder they appear mercenary.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I dunno if I like this. I think the current transfer and redshirt rules are fine....
FIFY.

Didnt read the link but if they dont waive the requirement to sit out a year, then it doesnt really change much.

All this contact between the kid and the other achools happened anyway ot was just through trusted and not so trusted emissaries.

I was a free agent in college, too. I cant really think of a compelling reason to keep kids from changing schools. Coaches damn sure change at will.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
FIFY.

Didnt read the link but if they dont waive the requirement to sit out a year, then it doesnt really change much.

All this contact between the kid and the other achools happened anyway ot was just through trusted and not so trusted emissaries.

I was a free agent in college, too. I cant really think of a compelling reason to keep kids from changing schools. Coaches damn sure change at will.
There's a reason I don't watch the NFL anymore.....

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
FIFY.

Yea sitting out one year still applies:

"The sit-out rules for transferring still apply. If you transfer you still have to sit out a year before you’re eligible. But let’s say you put your name in the transfer database in October, and then you actually decide to transfer to another school. You could then leave your current school at the end of the fall academic session, and transfer for the winter session to your new school. It could be enticing to get it done quickly and transfer by the end of the first session since the player would then be able to participate in spring practice with their new program. He still wouldn’t be eligible for the next fall season, because he’d have to sit out a year (winter session to winter session, which would make him have to sit out the fall season). But that seems to create even more chaos with an awkward dynamic."

Is there any concern that when coaches are allowed to call players on the transfer list mid season, that they can extract some information regarding tick plays / formations that the other teams are preparing for?

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I think every player should be able to get 1 Free Transfer for any reason.

I also think if a player commits...That's it. That's his his first team.

And if the HC leaves for any reason, the players can transfer.

If the team goes on probation, the players can transfer.

And if a pllayer quits for any other reason, except a familly crisis...He sits out for 1 year.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I assume the SEC will allow coaches to restrict potential schools for their transfers (not anyone we play, for example)?

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This isn't that bad an idea, kids sometime get sold a bill of goods that don't pan out, but are stuck,,, now they can move on easier. I think this will also make the bagmen be less relevant. A school is not going to throw a bunch of money on a kid that can bail so easily. Teams will be able to fill holes quicker and easier this way, so the competitive level should go up across the board

I agree with NOLA that if a coach is canned or quits that players should be given a release. .

Now, that said, schools usually give a 4 year scholly, some schools *cough* bama *cough* DGAF and pull them regularly, all schools should also give only a year, and if the student and school agree to a multi year scholly, then the kid needs to stay committed.

Has my vote.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It's America. College kids are American. Case closed.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
It's America. College kids are American. Case closed.

Agree but a contract is a contract. I also agree if I commit to mult-year you commit to multi year.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
They're not. It's hypocritical that coaches can go to schools in the same division or leave after a year but the players can't without losing eligibility
True. The only argument I have for that is the coaches are being paid and professionals where as the student athlete is not(at least in theory) but I do get what you're saying.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
:harvey1: The Bag Man will always find the door open...

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I think every player should be able to get 1 Free Transfer for any reason.

I also think if a player commits...That's it. That's his his first team.

And if the HC leaves for any reason, the players can transfer.

If the team goes on probation, the players can transfer.

And if a pllayer quits for any other reason, except a familly crisis...He sits out for 1 year.
I can get on board with all this except the one about commitments. Verbal deals are worth bupkis in the real world. No reason a kid can’t change his mind if he finds a better fit for himself.

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
Actually, with the year of ineligibility still intact, this strikes me as pretty fair especially if coaches are no longer allowed to veto the player's choice of destination schools which I always felt was extremely unfair. The only area of concern at all is the idea of allowing all this to take place during an active season since that represents a huge distraction for the team they are currently on especially with official visits. After the season, all bets should be off. If a school can revoke scholarships year to year, players should be able to do likewise especially if they're willing to give up a year to do so.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Forces staffs to treat players better but seems to allow players to have an "ok fine, I will transfer" attitude.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I don't like it, but it makes sense.

I think???

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.