College Football is About to Essentially Introduce Free Agency

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Let's be honest. College football has served as the NFL's minor leagues for decades. This simply cements what we've known all along.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Now, that said, schools usually give a 4 year scholly...
No, Im pretty sure we were the only ones.

Every other school gives a one year scholly. I think we are giving one years again, as I havent heard much about us offering our secret weapon, the 4 year scholly, lately.

That was a Fooley thing.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I can get on board with all this except the one about commitments. Verbal deals are worth bupkis in the real world. No reason a kid can’t change his mind if he finds a better fit for himself.

Then don't commit. Call it tentative which it is

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Let's be honest. College football has served as the NFL's minor leagues for decades. This simply cements what we've known all along.

I disagree w/ this. It goes right along the lines of those who think football players should "get paid". I'm not sure of the exact percentage, but it's somewhere around less than 2% of D1 players make an NFL roster. The kid who signs w/ Troy, that had offers to Elon, Southern Miss, Western Kentucky and Furman very likely doesn't end up in the NFL - and that's most of college football outside of the premier P5 programs. And where else is the NFL supposed to get players?

I don't mind that coaches can't block a transfer, especially if the kid has to sit out a full year. But those in favor of kids being able to jump ship and play immediately apparently want to watch the college football model fall apart.

Scott Frost just blocked a kid from going to Oregon State....because Oregon State has gotten 3 Nebraska transfers already (some of last year's Nebraska staff is at OSU now). This is a real issue; a coach leaves and 10 or so of his players transfer to his new school (along w/ the usual attrition during a coaching change) - and next thing you know the old school (the one he left) is down 15+ scholarship players. Or if a position coach leaves, 3 or 4 of "his" kids leaves w/ him - leaving that position depleted for the new coach. It could go on and on...

Any "new" transfer rule should include the 'sit out a year' policy (w/ exceptions like former school going on probation, etc). I don't buy the "if a coach leaves, players should be able to leave too" idea either. Kids are told repeatedly, you sign w/ the school, not the coach (although we all know that's not completely accurate).

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.