Comments from former players on our situation

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
https://florida.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1698737

I wonder who the 2nd comment is from - he sounds more like posters here. A few others are just towing the company line mostly.

Former defensive tackle Omar Hunter:
"First of all, I know that a lot of fans and alumni have been calling for Coach Muschamp's job during the season. I feel as though it's very unfair to that coaching staff, their families, and the players. Everyone is acting like he can't coach when just two years he led this University to a major BCS Bowl game. Last year everyone on that team was injured he was working with nothing. Will Muschamp is NOT the problem at Florida. I know that team loves playing for him and that staff. I know those players are feeling the pressure from everyone saying their coach is going to be let go. That can be a huge burden on a team, not knowing the future of their program. I think this coaching staff deserves to let this season play out, and receive one more year. I feel this team will turn it around and staff will turn it around."

Anonymous former defensive player who played for both Steve Spurrier and Ron Zook:
"We'll just say that he is the worst out of the last four coaches. He gets credit for a good defense when this state is known for playmakers on defense in high school. Vernon Hargreaves III and Dante Fowler Jr. probably came mostly because they would have sat early at Florida State. He is only winning recruiting battles for top prospects when kids want to play early. He never had to rebuild, he walked in with Floyd, Easley, Elam and Bostic already here. I thought last year was bad, but we could be worse this year. Why wait to see the program sink? We beat Tennessee by 1 and it took three overtimes to beat Kentucky. A lot of corrections might be needed, but that's how I feel. I could go on forever. He is a good dude, I just know the SEC will chew you up and spit you out."

Former safety Ahmad Black:
"I just feel like it's time for a coaching change. I feel like the players have pretty much given up on Muschamp. We need a offensive coach here to come in and score points. I think it's easier for an offensive coach to come in and play defense than it is for a defensive coach to come play offense. Coach Muschamp is a great coach, don't get me wrong, but it's time for a change."

Anonymous former defensive player under Steve Spurrier:
"I'll tell you that we can do without all the negativity and backstabbing comments I hear and read everyday. That doesn't serve a purpose or help advance the current players or the program. They don't need to have to deal with that nonsense during the season. I have a great deal of respect for Will and his entire staff. They are hard working family men who do things the right way. Effort and ability isn't in question with them at all, I can tell you that they are doing all they can do. Sometimes it just isn't meant to be. Will is a great defensive mind and he will be a great head coach one day. Sometimes change needs to be made for the sake of change, just to push the reset button and start new. That is what might have to happen in the off-season, but it isn't something that should be talked about while there are still games to be played."

Former Florida offensive lineman Deac Story:
"I think we need to be just a little more patient. Last year and this year aren't going according to plan, but people forget we've had three offensive coordinators in four years. If you fire Muschamp, we'll be looking for a fourth."

Former running back Ciatrick Fason:
"Honestly I think our current situation is not good. I've been in this position before [When Ron Zook was on the firing line], where there is talk of the coaches getting fired and for the players, that's the worst thing to happen. Some players stop listening to the coaches so they will stop playing hard. Here, the good thing is we are still playing for the SEC East. On the other hand, I do think that we haven't gotten better in the last two years. We look like a bottom of the SEC team and the main issue is still the offense. We can't move the ball or put points up. I don't think it's coaching, however, I think it's a lack of production from our so called four and five stars. We need to recruit better and bring in speed. I also think we haven't discovered an identity on offense. We should be run first team and give Kelvin Taylor a real shot, where he's not constantly worried about being pulled for making a simple mistake. The kid can play, but nobody can show their talent when they are afraid to screw up. As a Gator I'm very prideful, but from outside looking in, we really look like a mess."

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I have no problem with former guys speaking up. But anonymous is BS. Good link.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
stephenPE;n94950 said:
I have no problem with former guys speaking up. But anonymous is BS. Good link.

Some might not think so and say if its negative its better to say it that way because of how it would look to the current players who are playing out the season. I guess there is always different views on that. Emmitt Smith felt the need to make an apology that would be reported after his comments.

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
I would think it difficult for a former player to speak out against the players or current coaching staff because of the potential backlash. I appreciate real honesty. I have read on UF Alumni Facebook pages people who are pumping the sunshine in public, but know they think differently in private. Even those who would agree with the comments that aren't positive, feel that when you state it openly - you shouldn't have. It's this whole thing similar to speaking out against what you believe and being called un-X because of it. In some cases one doesn't mean the other, but you wouldn't know that when you are attacked after stating it. Thus the anonymous statements.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n94962 said:
I didn't know Omar Hunter smoked the crack

With that below I think Omar Hunter is definitely the King of Sunshine Pumpers.

"Will Muschamp is NOT the problem at Florida... I think this coaching staff deserves to let this season play out, and receive one more year. I feel this team will turn it around and staff will turn it around."

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
Gator Fever;n94978 said:

"Will Muschamp is NOT the problem at Florida... I think this coaching staff deserves to let this season play out, and receive one more year. I feel this team will turn it around and staff will turn it around."
makes coach9 look like a negator

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n94978 said:

Concussed maybe?

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Gator Fever;n94978 said:

Yea, the HC shouldnt be blamed for this mess. Hogwash. What happened to Champs comment about "this isnt a 4 year plan" and now he somehow deserves another year? There are so many loosing records being set the longer this guy is here. We must clean house. Its an embarrassment.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
And Ahmad Black....."He's a great coach, but it's time for a change." :lol: :crazy:

What a perfect example of a guy trying to be complimentary while also saying he should be fired. Just say what you feel, man.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
From a post on another Gator site - I won't link it OX but OMG, how the hell did Foley not see this????? And yes, I will beat this horse into oblivion.

"This was posted by "capnpen" in another thread....if any of this is remotely true, it explains a lot of what's going on. Again, I am re-posting this---I thought it was a good read.

FROM CAPNPEN:

Interesting points. It made me revisit a private post I'd sent someone last December. I hesitated to post it broadly at the time because Muschamp wasn't going anywhere and it didn't seem worth stirring things up. Now, a lot of the points seem more than interesting. This all came from a discussion with a relative of a Gator player. Again, this was last December.
  • Muschamp has had a far greater input on the offense that most have concluded, including on the depth chart. For example, Ian Silberman was listed in the two-deep a number of times over the past two years, and each time the pre-game depth chart went to Muschamp, Silberman had been pushed down.
  • Muschamp's sidelines rage is hurting the team with the refs. This guy said that Muschamp's anger rarely leads to the Gators getting favorable calls from the refs, which is why coaches work them on the sidelines. He said that his brother has never heard refs cussed at the way that Muschamp does during games.
  • Max Staver and another player were informed by text message that their scholarships were not being renewed. The decision to transfer was not theirs.
  • Tyler Murphy was trying to decide whether or not to stay at Florida when he tried to reach Muschamp to discuss his situation. Muschamp didn't take the call, nor did he return the call. That's when Murphy made the decision to leave.
  • Most of the offensive players felt that Tyler Murphy outperformed Jeff Driskel each week in practice, and couldn't understand why Driskel was clearly the choice as the starter.
  • When Driskel went down against Tennessee, the offense thought their chances at the SEC East title had improved. After that point, the offense was incredibly simplified, negating most of Murphy's ability to use his athleticism to help the team.
  • By the FSU game, the team had become resigned to losing. The offense mainly wanted to get good scouting film for the center, Jonatthan Harrison, to improve his chances of getting drafted in 2014.
  • In the locker room before the game, Harrison tried to address the team and thank them for a great four years, but was interrupted by another senior who wanted a younger player to address the team. He said there are clear factions within the locker room that are working against each other.
  • Many of the players believe that Muschamp has benched or limited players that he did not recruit in favor of those he did recruit. They also share a belief that many of us have - Muschamp clearly favors the defense over the offense.
  • He said that Muschamp has lost the locker room, and that the tone within the team is toxic. He said he hoped the new offensive coordinator could turn things around, but after seeing Muschamp's influence on the offense for a few years, he had little confidence that Roper's offense would be anything more than a dressed-up version of what's been on the field since 2011.
  • Ian Silberman to Louisville is not a done deal. Apparently he is considering Louisville, but he is concerned that Charlie Strong will leave for another job - possible Texas. The thought is that Teddy Bridgewater will declare for the NFL draft, and that Charlie Strong may decide at the same time to accept the Texas job.
  • Tyler Murphy is clearly interested in Louisville, especially if Bridgewater bolts for the NFL."
MY LORD - this is why we are a dumpster fire and we should be chanting "FIRE MUSCHAMP!" Foley gets a ton of blame for not seeing it. Most of the outsiders saw this and shame on Foley for being blind. Hell, I don't see how he doesn't fall on the sword. You can't ignore all these problems and get away with it. Wait a sec...we won a diving title? And golf? But he can't pick a football coach for ****? Oh, let's keep him then.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Gator Fever;n94978 said:

I can only imagine/hope that:

a) this quote was from October 31st, 2013.

b) he's currently tailgating in Jax and hammered.

c) he made the comment, at knife point, with Will providing the verbiage.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
If half of what Capnpen wrote is true(and basic observation tells you it is), Muschamp not only can't coach but is a SOB who is killing our program... How can Foley let this SH!T continue one minute?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.