Common Factors in last 5 SEC Champions

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
It's a shame we aren't on this list. It's been 8 years since we won an SEC title.

-----

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Study-Common-factors-in-the-last-5-SEC-champions

How do you win the SEC? Here’s what the last five league champs have done against SEC opponents.

SEC%20champs.png

- The road goes through Tuscaloosa. Alabama has won three of the last four SEC titles and four since 2009. The other teams narrowly beat Alabama. 2010 Auburn needed a big second-half comeback, 2011 LSU won in overtime and 2013 Auburn won on the Kick-Six.

- There hasn’t been a team undefeated in SEC play since 2011 (and they lost to Alabama in the national title game). A loss in league play doesn’t doom you.

- The past five SEC champs were in the top 4 in scoring offense in SEC games. It’s a league known for defense, but you have to score, too.

- All five teams finished in the top 3 in plays of 30-plus yards in SEC play.

- As for that defense, all but 2013 Auburn finished in the top 3 in scoring defense. (The Tigers were No. 7.)

- Along the same lines, all but 2013 Auburn finished in the top 3 in rushing defense. (The Tigers were 10th).

- While 2013 Auburn’s defense wasn’t at the top of the league, it did lead the SEC in scoring and finished second in rushing offense in league games. They also went 4-0 in one-possession SEC games (7 points or fewer) and had an 8-point win.

- All but 2015 Alabama finished in the top 2 in red zone touchdown rate and the top 4 in 3rd down conversions in SEC play.

- 2015 Alabama finished in the top 3 in scoring defense, rushing defense, 3rd down defense and finished fifth in red zone touchdown defense.

- Here were each team’s one-possession SEC games:

2015 Alabama
43-37 loss vs. Ole Miss
19-14 win vs. Tennessee

2014 Alabama
23-17 loss at Ole Miss
14-13 win vs. Arkansas
20-13 (OT) win at LSU
25-20 win vs. Mississippi State

2013 Auburn
24-20 win vs. Mississippi State
45-41 win at Texas A&M
43-38 win vs. Georgia
34-28 win vs. Alabama

2012 Alabama
21-17 win at LSU
29-24 loss vs. Texas A&M
32-28 win vs. Georgia (SEC title game)

2011 LSU
9-6 (OT) at Alabama

- What’s next for 2016? Alabama has a QB competition for the third straight year. LSU brings back a lot on offense and Auburn and Texas A&M are trying to get back on track. In the East, Florida has offensive questions, Georgia has a new staff, and Tennessee has talent and experience. The East hasn’t won the league since 2008.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Uncommon factors of next one SEC champ: 1. Is from State of Florida, 2. Beats west division champ in SECCG, 3. Garners a top 5 recruiting class as a result..

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Looks like power football wins championships 80% of time....glad to see us moving in that direction.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Looks like power football wins championships 80% of time....glad to see us moving in that direction.

This line is very telling (at least our last coach could have taken this to heart):

The past five SEC champs were in the top 4 in scoring offense in SEC games. It’s a league known for defense, but you have to score, too.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Common factors in SEC champions: (1) They play to win (2) They win more games than anyone else in the league (3) They get the job done

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
This line is very telling (at least our last coach could have taken this to heart):

The past five SEC champs were in the top 4 in scoring offense in SEC games. It’s a league known for defense, but you have to score, too.
:lol: He certainly preached that he was going to have a strong los football team, however he forgot about the most important part.....the offensive line.
I watched a replay of last years NC game and I'll tell ya Derrick Henry(and the OL) could never get enough credit for winning that game. His effect in the second half took Clemson's safety's completely out of the game and allowed Coker who was having one of his worst games all season to be able and complete key passes downfield.
I'll bet that a lot of those points scored by the last 5 champions have come in the second half of games against gassed defenses.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Dm_110927_ncf_muschamp_sot.jpg

What about time of possession stats?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
:lol: He certainly preached that he was going to have a strong los football team, however he forgot about the most important part.....the offensive line.
I watched a replay of last years NC game and I'll tell ya Derrick Henry(and the OL) could never get enough credit for winning that game. His effect in the second half took Clemson's safety's completely out of the game and allowed Coker who was having one of his worst games all season to be able and complete key passes downfield.
I'll bet that a lot of those points scored by the last 5 champions have come in the second half of games against gassed defenses.
Clemson was the better team imo. If it wasn't for a couple flukish special teams plays, Clemson carries the trophy off. Watson moved the ball like he was playing against air. I do agree with you that running the football is key in winning a championship but that wasn't the reason bama won last year.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Clemson was the better team imo. If it wasn't for a couple flukish special teams plays, Clemson carries the trophy off. Watson moved the ball like he was playing against air. I do agree with you that running the football is key in winning a championship but that wasn't the reason bama won last year.

Watson is the only reason Clemson was in the game. Alabama was/is the better "team", that's why they won. Watson is a freakish athlete and when he's gone, Clemson goes back to being a 9-3 type of program (on a good year).

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
How do you win the SEC? Here’s what the last five league champs have done against SEC opponents.

News from the Dept of Not Exactly Rocket Science:
* in EVERY sport, winning teams tend to have better stats than the teams they beat.
* in EVERY sport, teams that win championships tend to have much better stats than the teams at the bottom of the rankings.

Which is the chicken, and which is the egg ???

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
* in EVERY sport, winning teams tend to have better stats than the teams they beat.
* in EVERY sport, teams that win championships tend to have much better stats than the teams at the bottom of the rankings.

My riddle-solve of which came first: the chicken or the egg?
The egg, egg is for breakfast, chicken for lunch or dinner.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

News from "Don't shoot the messenger". But you could go to the link, find the author, and shoot him. Thank you....

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
News from "Don't shoot the messenger". But you could go to the link, find the author, and shoot him. Thank you....

Apologies for my lack of clarity in not carefully citing the source ... RE-posted by (our buddy) BMF, but NOT written by (our buddy) BMF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator